• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Bringing Back the $%&*?#@($#*@)#(

Status
Not open for further replies.
GOAT Jeopardy, who's watching. This is some next-level shit.

Ken and James are gonna be throwing haymakers at each other all week.

Brad also had a pretty hilarious tweet.

marijuana > alcohol in almost every possible way

I dunno. I have enough weed in my house, in all different forms from bud to edibles to pills, to kill a couple of ponies. But if I have to choose I’m taking my wine or bourbon every time. We all different.

Razor sharp dry winter boogers that lodge way up in the tops of your nostrils are the worst.

How the hell do you buy a nice house at foreclosure auction without knowing what it looks like inside? What if the current owners have completely trashed it and there's a ridiculous amount of repairs/renovations needed? We're looking at one currently, but seems extremely risky.

Hey thanks to people who gave me recommendations for LA. We had a really good trip. Will recap here for their benefit, awesome shit.

Day 1 (Christmas):

Our place was in between Venice and Santa Monica a couple blocks from the beach on 2nd. Went and got a bulletproof coffee (thanks buckets) and walked to the beach. Wife got owned by a wave trying to get a pic for Instagram, which was fantastic. We had a reservation at the Waldorf Astoria rooftop (a Jean-Georges place); if you ever go, get the lobster burger, it's awesome. After that we went to Runyon Canyon and hiked and got some nice views of the city, then did a slow drive on Mulholland for a bit, and then went up to Griffith Park for another hike. We walked around West Hollywood for a bit and got a drink on the strip and then grabbed a delicious xmas dinner at Greenblatts. Then it started absolutely pouring, and we drove back to our place. Caught Star Wars at the Arclight in Santa Monica (nice theater!).

Day 2:

Woke up and walked to Gjusta a few blocks from our place. Really good! I got smoked trout on a bagel. We rented bikes after that and rode to the end of the Roy Rogers trail. It was pretty cloudly and threatening rain--we were thinking of riding all the way to the Getty, but we just returned bikes instead. Stopped and did the rings at Muscle Beach, got a coffee. Then drove to the Getty, first real LA traffic experience. Getty was awesome, the Manet exhibit is great, and the building is terrific and offers more great views of the city and the mountains. After that we went back to Venice to a spot called Venice Wines before dinner (really liked, would have stayed for hours if I wasn't driving) and then to Rose Venice for dinner (eh, good but pricey for what it turned out to be). After that stopped at Rose Collective (dispensary; kind beat but friendly staff) and drove to Echo Park where our next place was.

Day 3:

Took a cab downtown, ate lunch at Grand Central Market and then went to the closest sports bar we could find (Karl Strauss Brewing) to watch OUR DEACS lose. After that we kinda wandered downtown for a few hours, a little boring, but Last Bookstore was cool, and we went to Sonoratown and had delicious tacos for dinner. Then caught a cab down to Inglewood for Dead and Company at the Forum. Stupid long security line, but a great, great venue and the show was terrific. One of the highlights of the trip for sure.

Day 4:

Walked up to the Silver Lake Farmers Market then back down to All Day Baby for lunch. Walked around the Silver Lake Flea Market for a bit, did some thrift shopping around there and then regrouped at our place. Then cabbed up to the Barnsdall Art Park, checked out the Municipal Art Museum and got a tour of Hollyhock House (a FLW design, really cool!). Then we went to Skylight Books and about a dozen thrift and boutique stores. Got a drink and cabbed back down to our place, then walked to a little taco truck, Tacos Arizas, which was maybe the best thing we ate all trip. Watched the OSU bowl game at The Holloway, which was a really cool bar, and stopped on the way home for nightcap tacos again at the same taco truck. Fun day of a lot of aimless wandering.

Day 5:

Got breakfast at Mayas Tacos and hit the road to Joshua Tree. Got in the park pretty early and was surprised at all the snow on the ground. It had apparently snowed almost a foot in the couple days before we got there. What an alien world that park is. Just did the Barker Dam Trail that day before checking into our cabin outside the park near Yucca Valley. Got pizza at Pie for the People and then went back to our cabin. No heat so I built a fire and we played board games and such, fun change of pace from LA.

Day 6:

Spent all day in the park, did a longer snowy hike at Skull Rock then over the mountains to the other desert we walked through the no-snow Cholla Cactus Garden section, which is truly surreal and crazy and hard to believe your eyes. Then we had to go back in the direction we came from and did sunset at Arch Rock, back in the snow. Built another big fire at home that night.

Day 7 (New Year's Eve):

Checked out of the cabin, went back into the park for a couple morning hikes at Split Rock, then lunch in Yucca Valley. Drove to Palm Springs from there. Our place was in Palm Desert a 10 minute cab north of town, really awesome midcentury place right at the foot of the San Jacintos. We had dinner reservations at the Ace Hotel restaurant, Kings Highway, which was great, but the bar was even better. They had karaoke for new year's, really fun.

Day 8:

Breakfast at a diner (Elmer's) and drove onto the Indian reservation and did the Murray Canyon to Seven Falls hike. Maybe my favorite hike of the trip. High desert plus palm trees plus waterfalls, so fucking cool. And it was like 70 degrees and sunny. On the way home we stopped at another hotel bar, El Jefe at the Saguaro, another cool midcentury redesign. Drove through the cool mansions in Las Palmas and ate dinner back at home.

Day 9:

Went to a spa in the desert, got massages, hung out in the hot springs. Then cabbed to Moorten's Botanical Garden in South Palm Springs, which I also highly recommend. So many cool cacti. We did a long walk from there up to thrift shops and then did a little Palm Springs bar crawl, completely undoing the spa detox. Las Palmas Brewery has good beer but really good natural wines. Highly recommend. Dinner at a crappy Mexican place and back home.

Day 10:

Last day of the trip, drove up to see the Cabazon dinosaurs to recreate a deacfan2009 photo shoot that will never not make me laugh hysterically. Went to the antique shops, went to Sherman's Deli (good but not Greenblatt's good), drove through cool houses, and then went and dropped the rental car at the Palm Springs airport. Cool airport, mostly outdoors. Flew home.

I dunno. I have enough weed in my house, in all different forms from bud to edibles to pills, to kill a couple of ponies. But if I have to choose I’m taking my wine or bourbon every time. We all different.

yeah

How the hell do you buy a nice house at foreclosure auction without knowing what it looks like inside? What if the current owners have completely trashed it and there's a ridiculous amount of repairs/renovations needed? We're looking at one currently, but seems extremely risky.

It is extremely risky. Not for the faint of heart or shallow pockets.

Look in the windows as much as you can. Prepare for it to be in rough shape. People don't do repairs if they are facing foreclosure.

did i miss where mako was being a reverse racist and/or a POS? that tag surprises me.

Got a notification from Uber that due to state law, now when you request a ride, it gives you a range or prices instead of an actual price, with the final price being determined by the end of the ride based on how long the ride takes. Probably in relation to California classifying drivers as employees and not contractors. Beginning of the end for the cheap ridesharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back