• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Bringing Back the $%&*?#@($#*@)#(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys, but he actually passed on Thanksgiving day, so I'm at peace with it now. Was a little rough that he couldn't make it a few more days, but he was in a lot of pain at the end so glad it came.

Without getting into the specifics about politics and candidates and such, where have you been through the years? Active? Never involved? Give money but sit back?

didn't care for politics until 2016 - was a comms director for a candidate in the 2018 midterms - grad school 2 busy in 2020 (only political work is canvassing on grad student unionization campaign) - prolly will volunteer for a candidate PA state race in 2022

Other than palma, boy would I love to play poker with many of you. If you think I'm salty, I will tell a story about a Deac who died too young.

About 12-15 years ago, a dear Deac friend was dying of pancreatic cancer. I got a frantic call from his hospice nurse telling me I needed to stop doing whatever I was as it was impacting his care. I had no clue what she was talking about until he picked up another phone. Apparently, he was reading the old board and laughing so hard that he was pulling out his IVs. The nurse said it was becoming more difficult to find a place to put them.

I asked him what was making him laugh so much. He told me it was responses to my posts saying how bitter, dour, sad, depressed and other silly comments about me were. He said please keep doing whatever I was doing. His told me not to do it. He said he should at least get a few laughs before died.

Most of the board thought I was going off the deep end. Of course, those who knew me were laughing along with him without knowing why I was playing those suckers so easily.

Lou, Juice and others keep "knowing" about me like the old board did. Keep using those adjectives. Keep thinking like you do. PLEASE.

You know me so very well.

i would guess rj's approval rating is worse than Trump's by at least 15 percentage points

Damn tigerswood warned us some crazy would ruin this. Thought chat thread was safe, appreciate the answers.

Have recently reconnected with a friend here in DC who I hung out with almost every day the last couple years at Wake. He’s a pretty libertarian or conservative guy, and we’ve been texting about politics a lot lately, and what I appreciate about it is how little it matters that we can tease each other, take shots, etc. We still want to hang out, go see movies, play basketball, whatever. Gives me hope, at least for myself. Maybe that’s not a big deal idk, feels like it.

I'm sorry for your loss RJ. I'm glad you were able to make his final days bearble and light by "playing those suckers so easily." Great story.

Damn tigerswood warned us some crazy would ruin this. Thought chat thread was safe, appreciate the answers.

Have recently reconnected with a friend here in DC who I hung out with almost every day the last couple years at Wake. He’s a pretty libertarian or conservative guy, and we’ve been texting about politics a lot lately, and what I appreciate about it is how little it matters that we can tease each other, take shots, etc. We still want to hang out, go see movies, play basketball, whatever. Gives me hope, at least for myself. Maybe that’s not a big deal idk, feels like it.

agonism is chill for bros to do. it is a big deal.

You absolute fools. You thought rj was just a Grumpy Online Guy with bad jokes and worse stories?

It’s all part of a decades long con so he can play poker against you...and WIN.

Checkmate

OK, I'll give one act of activism.

It was the early 80s. I had written a treatment for a network producer about the growing HIV/AIDS epidemic. I got a call asking for a meeting. I went to NY thinking it was about the potential script. When I got to the meeting, there were about four people in the office. They closed the door and asked me how I knew some of the things that were in my story. I told them I had read a lot about the illness. They asked me if I was willing to become active in the issue. I said I would. They told me they had a group in DC that was putting together a white paper and would I help. I said I would.

A few days later, I went to DC to see what was going on. I was shocked at how warm the welcome was and asked why. One of the guys said he was surprised a straight man cared so much about the problem that was thought of as purely a gay problem at the time. Another asked if I was OK with what may happen to me for being identified with my support of their group. I broke the tension by saying something like, "Finally, I'm a token in a group." They laughed.

It took us a few months to complete the paper. The two cornerstones were that HIV/AIDS wasn't a "gay problem" and that the blood supply had been infected. Something had to be done immediately.

We thought we had a meeting in the White House to present our findings. We had an appointment with a mid-level person. At that time, neither Reagan nor any senior person had even used the term HIV/AIDS. We were psyched. The night before our meeting was scheduled it was moved from the WH to some office a few blocks away.

Had the Reagan Administration read or implemented the suggestions thousands of people wouldn't have died unnecessarily. The only positive we saw was that some of the info got out and what we proposed finally got implemented over the next few years.

Who knows if a small or major part of that helped. We wished someone had paid attention to us sooner, but at least something finally got done.

I'd wager a third party review of our respective posts would conclude that you're the one having less fun around here

If the third party doesn't know anything about me, you might be right. But if they say with me while making their decision...

Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker at the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker.

RJ hasn't realized this in 20 years on the various Wake boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back