• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread CCXLIV: eceteras

Status
Not open for further replies.
lotta haters in this place tbf to brasky

kinda the default mode

Some of you don't work long or hard enough. The ability to just turn everything off and do nothing is sometimes exactly what is needed for a vacation. When I go places that have a ton to do I feel almost obligated to do a lot of stuff, so European vacations, unique places, and so forth. Caribbean beaches are simply to do nothing, now mega resorts avoid at all costs or its just fat midwesterns with a little bit of extra cash or on a once in a lifetime trip that's not Myrtle Beach.

sometimes you just need a supposedly fun thing

At this point in my life, I shell out thousands of dollars to do NOTHING.

When you stay at the Atlantis, you are literally paying thousands of dollars to have America like service, food and amenities somewhere else, you are going in there with that mindset. Its Disney world Caribbean. If you think you are going for an authentic experience you are nuts. All this to say, you can still have a really good time there and enjoy doing nothing or something in a really well put together resort. Know what to expect.

Also, St. Kitts is the opposite you go in and you are getting an island that isn't touristy and you can actually enjoy authenticity if you want.

I need to reevaluate my life now, I agreed with both Biff and Catamount on the same day.

Some of you don't work long or hard enough. The ability to just turn everything off and do nothing is sometimes exactly what is needed for a vacation. When I go places that have a ton to do I feel almost obligated to do a lot of stuff, so European vacations, unique places, and so forth. Caribbean beaches are simply to do nothing, now mega resorts avoid at all costs or its just fat midwesterns with a little bit of extra cash or on a once in a lifetime trip that's not Myrtle Beach.

Couldn’t you just do nothing at home or at a much cheaper destination?

It’s obviously 100% personal preference, but paying bucket$ to doing nothing seems like a wild waste of money.

The other problem with resorts it’s that there is nothing to do so you just get shitfaced all day which was fine when I was younger but too physically and mentally draining these days.

And now that I have a kid. Not cool. Maybe when my children are old enough to go run around outside by themselves all day on a contained and secure resort, I’d reconsider. That seems cool.

It’s obviously 100% personal preference, but paying bucket$ to doing nothing seems like a wild waste of money.

the "nothing" is rhetorical

you're certainly being taken care of - drinks made, meals served, sheets washed, etc. - while you do things on a continuum from complain about work (still working) to meditate (no self)

Get more money!!

Though I think it just depends, Antigua was cheaper than going to Florida because nobody has been traveling and people are still afraid to fly, dont know how to figure out covid rules, and don’t have passports.

this is to say a big part of the allure of a supposedly fun (no)thing is that you're being pampered

brasky is obvs right

resorts are lame

Is there some rule that says you can't leave the resort and go do cool things? I get that sitting on the beach all day at a resort and eating and drinking at the resort bars and the resort restaurants might be considered somewhat lame - though at times the sheer relaxation of that might be just what I need. But, you can also go stay at a resort and use it as a convenient base of operations while going and doing all the 'cool' stuff you want.

One the best vacations we ever had was staying in a beautiful private home on a hillside in Jamaica with another family. We each had teenage and younger kids. The house came with a cook and a housekeeper, a pool, and a golf cart. We had world class meals 3 times a day and were pampered every way possible. We golf carted to the beach when we wanted. We had a driver that took us to the waterfalls, to play golf, to another outing in town. We hung out at the pool and had snacks and drinks. The housekeeper did our laundry every day. The wives were more relaxed than they had ever been on a trip - we all were.

The staff cried to see our girls leave. It was quite affordable because we went in the middle of summer which is their lowest season.

One the best vacations we ever had was staying in a beautiful private home on a hillside in Jamaica with another family. We each had teenage and younger kids. The house came with a cook and a housekeeper, a pool, and a golf cart. We had world class meals 3 times a day and were pampered every way possible. We golf carted to the beach when we wanted. We had a driver that took us to the waterfalls, to play golf, to another outing in town. We hung out at the pool and had snacks and drinks. The housekeeper did our laundry every day. The wives were more relaxed than they had ever been on a trip - we all were.

The staff cried to see our girls leave. It was quite affordable because we went in the middle of summer which is their lowest season.

yeah but did you do any cool shit

I guess when you live by the beach year round you don't think as much of beach-centric vacations

We’ve done all inclusive twice and both times did activities outside the resort.

I want an all inclusive so I can get to a place and not have to worry about anything - including pulling out my wallet. I don’t want to need reservations or figure out how to get to a restaurant.

ETA: these were adult only places. With a kid I’d rather have a house with a kitchen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back