• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread CCXLIV: eceteras

Status
Not open for further replies.
2NBnFga.png

microaggression against singles

Most likely to have gone to a Hedonism resort- Diggler

Most likely to have gone to a Hedonism resort and kept their clothes on- Palma

i'm sorta like brasky in that i do want to do things like eat food or see something of historical significance or do something adventurous

best vacation i've had was cycling through provence, a mix of self-guided bc we could do whatever we wanted in each town, and also pre-planned as we rented bikes from a company and they arranged the hotels and a couple activities like wine tasting and cooking class. we got to see several medieval, walled towns, some beautiful natural scenery, ride in the foothills of the alps, drink amazing wine and eat amazing food, stay in stunning hotels, etc., and it didn't take months and months of planning. we just walked around at night and got bottles of wine and charcuterie plates and such things, and if we wanted to go off on the side and tour a cathedral or hike a mountain or visit an olive oil farm or an extra vineyard we could!

if i could model any other vacation in the future after that, i would. a healthy mix of the details worked out by someone who is expert in teh region and can get deals on hotels and other amenities plus the ability to freestyle and do whatever, enough downtime in between.

we looked at a self-guided tour for iceland (someone plans your itinerary and books everything for you) but just planned it ourselves because it was cheaper and figuring out what we wanted to do and see was actually p fun too

just threw two days in where we said we only had like one thing planned (ex. go to hot spring) for downtime and bam a great vacay imo

i'm guessing that some people don't find fun/relaxation in planning/exploring/the unexpected so they do resort and that's kosh if that's your thing

I like a good mix of trips where you're in cool places and you have itineraries, restaurant reservations, etc. But in part, it can feel like work if you want to hit everything you initially set out to. I enjoy planning all that out if somewhere like Paris, but a few days in you kinda want to sleep in, which will mean missing a museum or something.

But I also love vacations where you do nothing but hang out by the beach and pool. We're doing a beach week the week after next but I'm not sure how relaxing it'll be with our son and all the other kids. At least once they're all in bed we can chill and play board games and drink and stuff.

in the paris example, yes i want to pick which arondissement i want to stay in, maybe i care about the hotel too, and yea get some dinner reservations, but if i don't hit all 12 museums i want to see i'm not gonna be too butthurt about it

it's just as enjoyable to sit in the park with a bottle of wine and a deck of cards for a couple hours than it is to rush from museum to museum imho

“I’ve taken a lot of trips with my family but never a vacation.”

My dad, who works in a very high stress job, has always treated vacations as an opportunity to do as much as physically possible in his time off. It's always been exhausting for the rest of us.

Just got back from two weeks road tripping across the country with him: I hit 23 states and like eight national parks. Every day ended by crashing at a campsite or hotel at midnight or one and getting up before dawn. He did all the planning and insisted on doing all the driving (except for the part where other family members joined with another car).

It's absolutely exhausting, but we saw so much shit that I'd otherwise never get to see. Pretty amazing.

I posted ab wanting to take a trip to Europe a little bit ago but then convos like this make me realize when I take a vacation, I want to be a bum. It’s been a minute since I’ve had a vacation where I’ve done that.

But then Phan’s trip sounds awesome, too.

I planned a 9-day vacation to Oregon, where I have never been, and it pretty much wore me out. It was like extra work. We've got some seriously good vineyards lined up though.

I like to be active on vacations. I can only take a couple days of doing nothing at a beach. I live in a city and travel to cities for work. I mostly avoid cities on vacations now, but do have to consider the wants of the rest of my family from time to time.

I have been thinking of a trip to St. John because the family likes the beach. Recommendations on things to do there? I thought it would be nice to stay in one of those huts on the beach. I think they are rebuilt now. Not for a week or anything, but maybe one night.

A trip we to Ireland was like that, basically had three hotels booked a couple nights each at different parts of the country and getting there and figuring out what to do was up to us. Basically just planned a day in advance based on what was nearby. Pretty fun driving the rental car on the opposite side of the road and finding random dives in little towns to get our meals.

The other problem with resorts it’s that there is nothing to do so you just get shitfaced all day which was fine when I was younger but too physically and mentally draining these days.

And now that I have a kid. Not cool. Maybe when my children are old enough to go run around outside by themselves all day on a contained and secure resort, I’d reconsider. That seems cool.

resorts suck, but you don't have to go that route in the Caribbean if that's your choice.

i'm sorta like brasky in that i do want to do things like eat food or see something of historical significance or do something adventurous

best vacation i've had was cycling through provence, a mix of self-guided bc we could do whatever we wanted in each town, and also pre-planned as we rented bikes from a company and they arranged the hotels and a couple activities like wine tasting and cooking class. we got to see several medieval, walled towns, some beautiful natural scenery, ride in the foothills of the alps, drink amazing wine and eat amazing food, stay in stunning hotels, etc., and it didn't take months and months of planning. we just walked around at night and got bottles of wine and charcuterie plates and such things, and if we wanted to go off on the side and tour a cathedral or hike a mountain or visit an olive oil farm or an extra vineyard we could!

if i could model any other vacation in the future after that, i would. a healthy mix of the details worked out by someone who is expert in teh region and can get deals on hotels and other amenities plus the ability to freestyle and do whatever, enough downtime in between.

now imagine this with 3 small kids along

in the paris example, yes i want to pick which arondissement i want to stay in, maybe i care about the hotel too, and yea get some dinner reservations, but if i don't hit all 12 museums i want to see i'm not gonna be too butthurt about it

it's just as enjoyable to sit in the park with a bottle of wine and a deck of cards for a couple hours than it is to rush from museum to museum imho

imagine this with 3 small kids along

“I’ve taken a lot of trips with my family but never a vacation.”

being a dad on a family vacation is a lot of god damn work

these are good takes. I like activities too, but using Brasky's reasoning you should never go anywhere unless it has completely unique activities because you could always do it more cheaply at home.

Idk about the rest of you but I’m not taking small kids to a resort or to Europe.

Damn, some of you guys have a ton of Caribbean experience and are not that old. How? I'm jealous.

Seems like a good time to ask for advice then. Planning an anniversary trip for next spring. Last big anniversary we went to Turks and Caicos which we absolutely loved (and would consider doing again if we don't come up with an option that looks at least as good).

In general, looking for a relaxing vacation in a beautiful setting. I think the smaller boutique places fit us pretty well (stayed at the Gansevoort in Turks, which I think changed names/ownership since, but it was great). Away from the big crowds and kids, but still with on site amenities. Don't care about nightlife. Do care about great food options, but not looking to dress up for fancy meals. Cool local culture/sites is a plus. Neither of us scuba dive, so that isn't important. Relatively easy to get to would also be a bonus.

Anybody recommend anywhere specific? Seems like St John is popular on here.

Idk about the rest of you but I’m not taking small kids to a resort or to Europe.

There are all kinds of resorts out there and a lot of them are great with kids of different ages. Kiawah Island is a resort. Disney hotels are resorts. We went to an all inclusive resort in Costa Rica with the kids and it was awesome.

We also took the kids to Italy when they were in 2nd and 4th grade and it was great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back