• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread CCXLIV: eceteras

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I mull all this over, without doing any rational research or deep thinking - and instead just doing a Google search on how to dismantle organized religion - it looks like the solution is to either associate a particular organized religion with some horrific negativity; or just other it to the point that the members of that religion are just like animals. Upon reflection, this seems a lot like something Hitler would do. So I'm going to go ahead and pump the brakes on this train of thought.

I get that mental illness is a thing. I see it all the time. I don't see this woman exhibiting some of the telltale signs of mental illness that I typically see.

It kind of feels like these conspiracy theorists are leveraging the same vector that organized religion leverages. Once you hit a critical mass of people, sociology really takes over and the psychology just kind of takes a backseat.

I'm not sure we've developed a weapon to combat organize religion. I look at the situation in Afghanistan, and I'm just so fucking terrified of the parallels between the Taliban success there and the video that I just watched with this seemingly sane woman saying completely insane things.

This is a good post.

I don’t think we know the resilience of these conspiracies quite yet. Will they exist beyond the pandemic? Will communities formed online during the pandemic persist? Will people hold on to their conspiracy theories long term?

Last edited:
As I mull all this over, without doing any rational research or deep thinking - and instead just doing a Google search on how to dismantle organized religion - it looks like the solution is to either associate a particular organized religion with some horrific negativity; or just other it to the point that the members of that religion are just like animals. Upon reflection, this seems a lot like something Hitler would do. So I'm going to go ahead and pump the brakes on this train of thought.

If I were to have children I'd certainly try and move to nordic countries/homogenous populations to give my kin a chance looking at the future. This immigration/diversity/religious folks thing doesn't appear to be heading to a good place.

If I were to have children I'd certainly try and move to nordic countries/homogenous populations to give my kin a chance looking at the future. This immigration/diversity/religious folks thing doesn't appear to be heading to a good place.

Huh. I wasn't really going for that conclusion. I was sort of more in the, "Hitler was wrong" camp.

It kind of feels like these conspiracy theorists are leveraging the same vector that organized religion leverages. Once you hit a critical mass of people, sociology really takes over and the psychology just kind of takes a backseat.

Freud is with you on this one re: religion and neurosis/neurotics

lotta thoughts about this since the gf is a therapist and I'm into conspiracy theories and psychoanalysis rn but foremost: sociology and psychology are just academic designations - feels weird to say one "takes over," especially since we're singling out a person who invokes herself as a subject a few times (I, my, I'm) and (in turn) your posts which display the same subjecthood. there's madness to the crowd to be sure, but also plenty of people who at least think of themselves as individuals.

honestly there's a lot of good work on about neurosis, meaning, and conspiracy theories that gets ignored over consumption of Spectacular content like this oh well

Huh. I wasn't really going for that conclusion. I was sort of more in the, "Hitler was wrong" camp.

I don't feel that way, but it seems most the rest can't handle it. Why else we spending so much time talking about the border these days?

lotta thoughts about this since the gf is a therapist and I'm into conspiracy theories and psychoanalysis rn but foremost: sociology and psychology are just academic designations - feels weird to say one "takes over," especially since we're singling out a person who invokes herself as a subject a few times (I, my, I'm) and (in turn) your posts which display the same subjecthood. there's madness to the crowd to be sure, but also plenty of people who at least think of themselves as individuals.

honestly there's a lot of good work on about neurosis, meaning, and conspiracy theories that gets ignored over consumption of Spectacular content like this oh well

and by plenty of people I mean all of the people

I don't feel that way, but it seems most the rest can't handle it. Why else we spending so much time talking about the border these days?

Palmab-senpai, no! Iiiiii-yyyyaaaàaaaa! Chigaidesu! Hitler-san ga waruidesuyo!

What I mean by the psychology versus sociology thing is that the words that she was speaking weren't her words. Beside the fact that she was reading from her phone word for word, I don't think that the individual that was speaking possessed the capacity to come up with that kind of thing on her own. So I would argue that psychologically, she has limitations that probably curtail her ability to express those types of dangerous thoughts without external influence. That's why I say the sociology takes over, because there is almost certainly a group that this woman is associated with on the internet that is feeding her content. And while that may be an a given individual that is feeding her content, it's probably more in the aggregate where she's assaulted from many different sides with opinions that start to impact her ability to independently form a conclusion. That's why I say the sociology takes over, I agree with you that that shorthand is a little bit coarse.

It’s weird to me that so many of this Qanon, save the children, unmask my child do in fact have children and a family. It’s not the weirdo crazy loser that has nothing in their life so they latch onto anything that makes them feel like they belong. Sure a lot of these people live in small towns in poverty with nothing really going for them, but like go be with your family, love them, let them fulfill your life.

uctNHIp.png

woke mob works quick!

Huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back