• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread CCXVIII: DEACS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, what public school system has the balls to grade on anything less than a 10-point scale ? They need to have these kids pass so their numbers will look good.

Broughton with the 7 point scale back when Juice made his way through. Will ask my sister what it is now.

My friend teaches second grade and recently had parents freak out because she told them their kid was working at the average second grade level. They were REAL upset that she used the word “average.”

I wish we had a 10 point scale growing up (maybe we did and I forgot already). I seem to recall the following:

0-69 F
70-77 D
78-84 C
85-92 B
93+ A

We didn't have any pluses or minuses.

That’s what I grew up with as well.

I also got this douchiest parent email ever over the weekend in response to his daughter having a C on her progress report. I've removed all permanent info and changed a few details to protect the student and remove any liability from me. But for your enjoyment:

It has come to our attention that you have given our daughter, (redacted) has an interim grade of 79. We strongly disagree with this grade. We would like to set a date with you where we can fully discuss it. Please know that we are also advising you of our disagreement because we want "this grade to be subject to change." Therefore you should not record this grade as final. You are now "on notice" and therefore are aware of our disagreement and should act accordingly. This is your requirement that we put you on notice so that you are aware that the grade should not be recorded as a "final interim grade." Thank you so much for your acknowledgment of this letter and cooperation. Please advise us of our meeting date. We will consider your acknowledgement of this notice. We will appear. Also please advise us of the papers, test and assignments you used to grade our daughter as you did. Thank you.

I'll give you one guess what his profession is.

Do you use IC or something similar? I work with at-risk pops so parents are not a thang, but for your world I would laugh at the pomposity of this knowing this dbag did not even use a simple home monitoring tool.

OnNotice.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Brasky you should adopt the Wake professor bell curve and inform everyone that 84% of them will be receiving a C+ or less based off a sliding class grade scale.

Ask them why they didn't turn in their homework. That's literally all you have to do to make a B in these classes. You'll learn enough to pass anything if you just do the homework and turn it in.

Daughter told me that Science is the easiest class. She had a 90 in it. I asked her why. Didn't turn in homework . . . yet.

This is 100% right. My kids refuse to turn in all their homework like morons.

Brasky you should adopt the Wake professor bell curve and inform everyone that 84% of them will be receiving a C+ or less based off a sliding class grade scale.
Or just announce you'll only be giving one A for the semester and watch them freak out.

My fourth grader thinks you have to ask Google a question, like it's Siri or something. Make sure they understand they don't need to do that.

My 7th grader refuses to look anything up. He asks Siri everything.

This is exactly the problem. They start every google search with "what were" "who were" "when was" and give up if the answer isn't the first result. I knew that their phones had fried their brains and deprived them of all problem solving skills, but I wasn't aware that it was this bad.

I wish we had a 10 point scale growing up (maybe we did and I forgot already). I seem to recall the following:

0-69 F
70-77 D
78-84 C
85-92 B
93+ A

We didn't have any pluses or minuses.

Yep that's how it was in the ELITE schools of the WSFCS system. I didn't have a 10 point scale until college.

Ask them why they didn't turn in their homework. That's literally all you have to do to make a B in these classes. You'll learn enough to pass anything if you just do the homework and turn it in.

Daughter told me that Science is the easiest class. She had a 90 in it. I asked her why. Didn't turn in homework . . . yet.

Yeah, what public school system has the balls to grade on anything less than a 10-point scale ? They need to have these kids pass so their numbers will look good.

Exactly. Its also why I have to go about 10 folders deep on a shared drive in order to give a student an official infraction. Gotta keep those discipline numbers down.

Ah man, I wish. I'd love to go 20%-20%-20%-20%-20% on A-F's. These kids need a competitive streak.

Found this tantalizing piece of discussion fodder. Have at it:

lectro has posted from many ip addresses and does share one with tintinisahottie but i believe that is a coincidence.

06-21-2011, 06:40 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back