• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Cheatin' TKory !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone think Ian Fleming was imagining a black James Bond ?

He died before the floppy disk was invented. Not sure his imagination is the best measuring stick.

I don’t think straight people steal gay roles away so much as it’s a lack of effort or imagination when people cast the same straight white actors to fill diverse and different roles.

Just imo, they shouldn't make a Black James Bond. They should cast more Black actors in original action roles written, produced, and directed by Black people.

Representation is fine but there are better ways. I’m willing to concede I haven’t fully thought this issue through.

Just imo, they shouldn't make a Black James Bond. They should cast more Black actors in original action roles written, produced, and directed by Black people.

9a87971d195c823423b5d290e3e341d4.jpg

If you have a problem with how he interpreted the role then you have a problem with the writers, producers and director.

Should Robin Williams not have been cast in the Bird Cage?

It’s acting. Denzel Washington isn’t actually a football coach, Malcolm X, an LAPD detective, Army Veteran, Civil War Soldier, Hurricane Carter, or Frank Lucas.

If you’re saying that gay roles should be reserved for gay actors then isn’t the corollary that heterosexual characters should only be played by heterosexual actors?

My posting that tweet wasn’t a reaction to Cordens performance in “Prom”. I’m actually watching it right now and I don’t see the problem so far. It’s a little clunky and one-note “gay man is flouncy and melodramatic”, but nothing to tear him down over.

I haven’t seen Prom, but I’d be willing to bet there are plenty of gay actors who play straight guys. By the way it’s acting and has nothing to do with Rachel Dolezal. It’s not like he pretended to be gay and became the head of the local HRC chapter.

Eh. Doubt the next Bond storyline is going to feature a majority Black acting/production team, and again - why not just bring new and relevant action stories that actually give voice to Blackness instead of just having a Black man (this time) save England/the Global North/the World from geopolitical antagonism/devaluation of currency/nuclear catastrophe.

A Spike Lee/Jordan Peele James Bond would probably be pretty rad tho. BlacKkKlansman was solid.

Portia de Rossi on Arrested Development is the first example of a gay actor playing a straight person that comes to mind

Representation is fine but there are better ways. I’m willing to concede I haven’t fully thought this issue through.

I beef with a black james bond for the same reason I beef with a blue eyed he's.bond. That's not fucking james bond. Butt whatever, I'll still watch it because I love that shit.

Chat Thread: All of the Beautiful Colors Are Very Very Meaningful !!!!!!!!!!!

Neil Patrick Harris in How I Met Your Mother.

Yeah. That’s the best example I can come up with of an openly gay actor playing a stereotypically straight character.

Plenty of gay actors have played straight roles in the closet or on the screen. It’s acting.

As far as race, I don’t think there are that many white characters from fictional works whose whiteness is essential to the role. Whiteness is generally written as a default and the struggles of white characters typically aren’t related to their race or background. Many white characters are white simply because they were written by white people for white people.

Of course James Bond could be Black in 2020. Seems his nationality is more central to the role. Related, the Netflix Lupin trailer looks pretty dope.

I haven’t seen Prom, but I’d be willing to bet there are plenty of gay actors who play straight guys. By the way it’s acting and has nothing to do with Rachel Dolezal. It’s not like he pretended to be gay and became the head of the local HRC chapter.

Watched Prom and I think Corden did an excellent job. Speaking from a straight persons perspective, I didn’t see what was offensive about his portrayal.

Just chiming in to point out that it is illegal to discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, age (over 40), sexual orientation, transgender status, etc. Under the bona fide occupational qualification (BFOQ) defense, movie producers can discriminate on the basis of religion, sex, or national origin for a role, but they can never discriminate on the basis of race. This is a bit of a formality, however, because producers can discriminate on the basis of physical characteristics, so it is easy for a savvy producer to justify passing over Brad Pitt to play Malcom X, for example.

Because Bostock is so new, it hasn’t been decided how the sex-based BFOQ will work vis-a-vis gay and transgendered people. It would seem to me that being gay or transgendered is not a BFOQ for a role that portrays someone who is gay or transgendered, because that trait can be expressed by acting. I think the more interesting question is whether a producer can discriminate against a transgender female for a female role. That’s obvious sex discrimination under Bostock, but the questions are (1) does the text of the statute allow BFOQs based on biological sex (it did under prior law, but I’m not sure how, if at all, Bostock may have changed that) and (2) whether being a biological female is a BFOQ for playing a female role.

One of my bosses I need to email her via her AOL account. It's weird.

Not gonna lie, Paul Giammatti might get me to look into a Volkswagen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back