• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Cooking > Eating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who runs Incendiary, brasky?

As a Winston native, I can say my short time working in the downtown service industry as an adult was one of the wildest times of my life. Not really. But we'd leave work as a group and get swerved tons of free booze and food and blow all our cash tips on tipping. Good times

Of course back then, Shakey's on Reynolda Road had a lunch buffet for $2.99. A Staley's Special was either $0.99 or $1.19. I think it was something like $1.75 for a hamburger steak, salad and ice tea at The Lighthouse downtown.

Of course, I also would get a 1/4 pound of pot for $45 and friends would get zs for $15 or a pound for $135-160 and sell three quarters of a pound for $45-55 and then the zs would add to my food money.

Oh yea, I was there during the last "thanks gathering". Place was fucking jumping, it was awesome, and young Cata was just learning the ways of the marijuana.

RIP OG Ziggys.
I was there! Got my tshirt around here somewhere

I remember most of those years fondly (I was probably more 2009-2012), sokolove and i spent a lot of time together, just not together

so many blithering idiots and so many Blithering Idiots

i've had some p bad beers from incendiary if i'm being honest

i've had bad beers from incendiary, fiddling fish, and wiseman.. you just gotta know how to pick out the winners, very few breweries bat 100%, and i live in BEER CITY USA

i still haven't had a beer since april

pivoting to a guy who can tell you what liquors mix well with what

I was also a fixture at those downtown bars from 2011-2012. Was weird going back to my hometown after living in London for two years. But most of those bars weren't there or were shitty when I was at Wake.

I loved 1st street as a kid. Grew up in Ardmore and my family used to walk to Twin city diner to meet my dad for dinner when he was working late. If it was just us, we'd go to first street.

I went to elementary school across the street and my mom got the huge Camel billboard above the bar taken down back in the early 90s

Does Harpers, aka Girls Girls Girls, still exist? Quality of ladies aside, still one of the wilder gentlemen's establishments I've ever been in. Full nude, BYOB (we brought part of a keg once), girls shooting dollars out of their hoohas, etc. One of my roommates had a family friend considering Wake as a HS senior staying with us one weekend, and we decided it would be a good idea to take him there. He did not elect to attend Wake.

Lol...that fucking place. I got booted from there with some guys I played football with the night before a game when we were juniors in HS. I didn't get kicked out for my age...Won't go into too much detail but the giant bouncer outside threatened to murder me and he demanded I give him all of my money, so I did and never spoke of it again until this post.

But yeah, used to roll in there and demand they played welcome to the jungle whenever our dancer of choice would be up there. Being able to bring a couple cases of beer into a strip club was the greatest thing Winston had going for it.

my favorite thing about the Lighthouse is the neon SPAGHETTI sign they hang in the window

Yeah, it was the guy that owned the building next door who played hardball to open up his awful carnival food concept right? which flopped hard (predictably).

I was so pumped for that carnival place and it was such a disaster. Pretty sure it didn't last more than 6-8 months. They had a few good items but the layout was awful, service was abysmal and they were too niche to make it in that location.

yeah? I've only been one time for brunch and it was almost completely empty at the time.. food was pretty good though iirc, but it took awhile to come out/service was kinda weird

Earl's does a lot of business Thursday-saturday between 7p-11p because pre COVID they would have live music. The menu is somewhat small and the chicken is dark meat(which I like but many don't), so you gotta know what you're getting into before you go. They typically have $1 PBR and cheap bourbon.

i've had bad beers from incendiary, fiddling fish, and wiseman.. you just gotta know how to pick out the winners, very few breweries bat 100%, and i live in BEER CITY USA

i just mean that they seem to hit at a lower rate than wise man and joymongers and even fiddlin fish

the location is dope though, which does balance things out a bit

i just mean that they seem to hit at a lower rate than wise man and joymongers and even fiddlin fish

the location is dope though, which does balance things out a bit

maybe, i've seen you order beers before though, you live dangerously.. i feel like incendiary has tried some more random styles/beers than the others too, so it is riskier there for that reason as well

joymongers probably the most consistent (larger) brewery in town though, at least in my experience..

I was so pumped for that carnival place and it was such a disaster. Pretty sure it didn't last more than 6-8 months. They had a few good items but the layout was awful, service was abysmal and they were too niche to make it in that location.

Earl's does a lot of business Thursday-saturday between 7p-11p because pre COVID they would have live music. The menu is somewhat small and the chicken is dark meat(which I like but many don't), so you gotta know what you're getting into before you go. They typically have $1 PBR and cheap bourbon.

lol yeah, carnival food way too niche for that location (or probably ANY location)

yeah, we went on a sunday AM for lunch/brunch, I got the chix sandwich so experienced the dark meat thing firsthand (which was fine, it's just heavy AF), remember really liking some loaded tots the most

I was also a fixture at those downtown bars from 2011-2012. Was weird going back to my hometown after living in London for two years. But most of those bars weren't there or were shitty when I was at Wake.

I loved 1st street as a kid. Grew up in Ardmore and my family used to walk to Twin city diner to meet my dad for dinner when he was working late. If it was just us, we'd go to first street.

I went to elementary school across the street and my mom got the huge Camel billboard above the bar taken down back in the early 90s

I went to Brunson as well. Think you are a little older than me, but we def there at the same time.

and yet i still smoked camel lights for 5 or 6 years thanks a lot 09mom

Ha I still smoke Camel Lights when drunk, which is a lot. Maybe the early day billboards got me, I could pretty much see them from the house I grew up in.

Lived a block behind first st.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back