• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: exploring BBD's virtual bunghole

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say what you will, but I’m just not looking forward to having to rent Townie’s condo from him because it’s the only thing in DC I can afford. I’m sure it smells like patchouli oils and a musty library. Probably end up finding unopened bags of quinoa in the cupboards.

Our contractor ripped out some dry wall so we could put some recessed wine storage in a closet under our stairs. Turns out the construction guys from 1999 just tossed a bunch of trash in there and installed the dry wall. A bunch of old Pepsi cans.

Yeah, that was the reason for the question mark.

Housing prices going up is a problem... Housing prices going down is a huge problem.

Inflation is similar. Sucks going up. Sucks a lot going way up. Arguably worse to have actual deflation.
it's kinda funny how every macroeconomic trend, good and band, manages to fuck over poor people who don't own land

Just got an email from an offshore company asking if I'd be interested in hiring someone with 4 years experience to do my job for $10/hr. This whole remote work thing is gonna offshore all of us outta jobs, isn't it?

We have about a half-dozen folks that work for my company from India. The thinking was that they'd do mindless tasks overnight and we'd see results in the morning and it would be great!

It has not been great, but in our case I think it is more of a fundamental misunderstanding on their part of what would be helpful (or quality work).

We have about a half-dozen folks that work for my company from India. The thinking was that they'd do mindless tasks overnight and we'd see results in the morning and it would be great!

It has not been great, but in our case I think it is more of a fundamental misunderstanding on their part of what would be helpful (or quality work).
I'm thinking basic bookeeping functions might be doable from India though like doing bank recs/cash management

Our contractor ripped out some dry wall so we could put some recessed wine storage in a closet under our stairs. Turns out the construction guys from 1999 just tossed a bunch of trash in there and installed the dry wall. A bunch of old Pepsi cans.
Pepsi cans in Atlanta! Of course they tried to hide the evidence.

it's kinda funny how every macroeconomic trend, good and band, manages to fuck over poor people who don't own land

yeah, i think we're talking past each other a bit here

I don't have any disagreements with you on the supply side of things

my point is that the demand side cannot keep up with the current rate of change -- simply not enough people making the kind of money needed to buy houses at the prices they've been going for for houses to continue going up beyond that

supply side changes would release some pressure from that market no doubt -- i'm only commenting on the relationship of home prices to income

it’s worth considering what a reasonable ROI is for home builders. If lower income/starter homes aren’t being built at a sufficient rate to keep up with demand, what market forces are discouraging this construction? Even
if you take the complaints about burdensome construction regulation at face value, you have to consider that there is a drastic shortage of “starter” homes even in deregulated parts of the country

it’s worth considering what a reasonable ROI is for home builders. If lower income/starter homes aren’t being built at a sufficient rate to keep up with demand, what market forces are discouraging this construction? Even
if you take the complaints about burdensome construction regulation at face value, you have to consider that there is a drastic shortage of “starter” homes even in deregulated parts of the country
we're building 600sf 1BR apartments in Indianapolis at $170k/unit before taking into account any other costs (land, architecture, etc.), but it does include builder profit

you're gonna be building SFHs at 1,800sf at $250k plus land cost, but it's gonna be pretty cheap materials

Ultimately in such a highly stratified service economy, there is going to be no “market” for middle class goods, like small homes. Eventually the breaking point comes when service workers can’t afford to live in a service economy.

we're building 600sf 1BR apartments in Indianapolis at $170k/unit before taking into account any other costs (land, architecture, etc.), but it does include builder profit

you're gonna be building SFHs at 1,800sf at $250k plus land cost, but it's gonna be pretty cheap materials
builder profit isn't usually that much, as its a fairly competitive industry. $170k per unit in Indy is pretty nuts.

we are paying state prevailing wage, so you could go a little lower on wages in a market rate development

we just finished a building in Fresno area that was $250k/unit for small 1BRs just in hard costs

builder profit isn't usually that much, as its a fairly competitive industry. $170k per unit in Indy is pretty nuts.
This is inevitable. The paradigm of supply and demand economics is incongruent with housing, because human needs aren’t determined by the free market profitability of their production. Market capitalism is literally inhumane in many regards. There are very many drugs and medical procedures that are proven effective, yet are not produced by the market because they aren’t sufficiently profitable.

Say what you will, but I’m just not looking forward to having to rent Townie’s condo from him because it’s the only thing in DC I can afford. I’m sure it smells like patchouli oils and a musty library. Probably end up finding unopened bags of quinoa in the cupboards.
Wait then where will I live

If we're gonna discuss the same topics over and over on the CT, can it at least be the fun ones instead of the reasons why very few young people can afford to own a home?

I had cereal and fruit for breakfast.

Hey guys tell me now is the right time to buy a house please

There’s a big down payment ready to rock n roll

If we're gonna discuss the same topics over and over on the CT, can it at least be the fun ones instead of the reasons why very few young people can afford to own a home?

I had cereal and fruit for breakfast.
Instead of avocado toast? Congratulations, now you can afford a home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back