• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: exploring BBD's virtual bunghole

Status
Not open for further replies.
This one shows what I was talking about in terms of building below trend...

fredgraph.png

yeah, i think we're talking past each other a bit here

I don't have any disagreements with you on the supply side of things

my point is that the demand side cannot keep up with the current rate of change -- simply not enough people making the kind of money needed to buy houses at the prices they've been going for for houses to continue going up beyond that

supply side changes would release some pressure from that market no doubt -- i'm only commenting on the relationship of home prices to income

I just had one of those conversations with a co-worker where I call with a specific problem and she spends 20 minutes telling me it actually isn't a problem... Then she suddenly realizes HOLT SHIT IT IS A PROBLEM and now she's trying to present it to me like she just discovered there is a problem.

At least I don't have to solve it.

The good news (?) is that if the house of cards falls apart, those corporations will absolutely get reamed on the way down.

As it is, companies like Zillow realized how terrible of a business it was to buy and maintain an inventory of homes and have since exited the business.

I realize that is different from what other corporations are doing in terms of multi-family or communities.

And their tenants will get evicted

The foreclosure crisis already showed us what this looks like

Not really good news imo

I just had one of those conversations with a co-worker where I call with a specific problem and she spends 20 minutes telling me it actually isn't a problem... Then she suddenly realizes HOLT SHIT IT IS A PROBLEM and now she's trying to present it to me like she just discovered there is a problem.

Check out the hook while ATS resolves it

good to know this happens outside the software engineering world too

yeah, i think we're talking past each other a bit here

I don't have any disagreements with you on the supply side of things

my point is simply that the demand side cannot keep up with the current rate of change -- simply not enough people making the kind of money needed to buy houses at the prices they've been going for for houses to continue going up beyond that

supply side changes would release some pressure from that market no doubt -- i'm only commenting on the relationship of home prices to income

Yeah.

It is a complicated thing, though. Inflation also didn't/doesn't help in terms of cost to actually build a house (both labor and materials).

But I guess that's why we have economic cycles.

did you tell her about the supply side

And their tenants will get evicted

The foreclosure crisis already showed us what this looks like

Not really good news imo

Yeah, that was the reason for the question mark.

Housing prices going up is a problem... Housing prices going down is a huge problem.

Inflation is similar. Sucks going up. Sucks a lot going way up. Arguably worse to have actual deflation.

Yeah.

It is a complicated thing, though. Inflation also didn't/doesn't help in terms of cost to actually build a house (both labor and materials).

But I guess that's why we have economic cycles.
yeah, i couldn't figure out how to set the chart to real dollars

Not to go even deeper into this, but another good chart to look at is cost to rent vs. buy... The inflections in that chart tell a big story.
NOTE: I cannot locate a good version of this chart anywhere online.

ATS is definitely in the pocket of BIG CORPORATE LANDLORDS. How do y’all think he paid for that mansion?

NOTE: I cannot locate a good version of this chart anywhere online.
Say what you will, but I’m just not looking forward to having to rent Townie’s condo from him because it’s the only thing in DC I can afford. I’m sure it smells like patchouli oils and a musty library. Probably end up finding unopened bags of quinoa in the cupboards.

Just got an email from an offshore company asking if I'd be interested in hiring someone with 4 years experience to do my job for $10/hr. This whole remote work thing is gonna offshore all of us outta jobs, isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back