• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: exploring BBD's virtual bunghole

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a special needs student and it’s a teachers aide. I have no clue what happened here, but I can tell you that I have been the 1 on 1 teacher with 2 different teenage boys with autism who were both huge and would absolutely fight you if you fucked up. They were both super sweet kids that I loved, but you definitely could not parent or discipline them like neurotypical children. Schedule changes, waiting, access to reinforcers (like videogames or toys) was something you had to really be strategic about if you wanted to avoid a violent meltdown.
Autism or something like that was my first thought too. That's how my kid would react if I took his phone away as punishment a few years ago. Except they were only 10 or 12 and their capacity to physically hurt me was limited. We had a few well intentioned teachers intervene with out knowing what was up with him and it would quickly spiral. IEPs were vital for everyone's benefit.

I am not trying to blame the teacher or excuse the kid's violence, just saying that I understand the situation.

The worst ass-kicking I've ever taken was from trying to get the kid with severe autism and Down Syndrome that I worked with at RHA out of a tent. He was 17 but I had brought him into my buddy's pre-k summer camp class where he was playing the banjo for his kids. 17 4 year olds watched and listened to me get mud stomped for like 10 minutes to a backdrop of Foggy Mountain Breakdown.

The worst ass-kicking I've ever taken was from trying to get the kid with severe autism and Down Syndrome that I worked with at RHA out of a tent. He was 17 but I had brought him into my buddy's pre-k summer camp class where he was playing the banjo for his kids. 17 4 year olds watched and listened to me get mud stomped for like 10 minutes to a backdrop of Foggy Mountain Breakdown.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Also in for more grill chat. Did the backyard upgrade with built in grill last year, so can give feedback if anyone is thinking of doing it. I will say the biggest waste is drawers. They are way more expensive than you think, and mine gets water in it when it rains anyway (my grill setup is uncovered), so it's not particularly useful.

I have this issue with my current table. There was standing water and everything got mold all over it.

I’d like a cabinet with some shelving and a spot for my charcoal.

this is what I have...not the most attractive thing in the world but we don't really care much with this house and as said will hopefully have a more permanent set-up next time around.

it does the trick with holding charcoal, wood, and most of my Joe accessories, save the ring for the Joetisserie which I keep in the garage. I have a cover for it and so far has kept the water out.

Amazon product

My wife has an infuriating habit of NEVER confirming details in advance of a planned activity (restaurant hours, etc). She had planned to take her team to the barcade from 12-4 this afternoon to celebrate the conclusion of several big implementations they have been running. She just looked and the place opens at 5. Like I get that it’s frustrating but you absolutely should have confirmed this in advance and it’s taking everything in my power not to say so.

This sounds like a scene from a Coen Brothers movie

The IRS still hasn’t processed my return. They requested additional information, which I was in the process of gathering and then I got a letter that they were INCREASING my refund.
This happened to me last year, which was weird and also took them til July to actually get me my $

I suspect that the billions of people living in poverty in the world would appreciate economic growth

even people who aren't in poverty appreciate improved quality of life and comfort, which requires growth
So long as this post appreciates that there are different measures and means for accounting for that growth, I agree

In theory, sure. But I think historically growth has the best track record for pulling people out of poverty, and is probably an easier way going forward. For me it's a why not both sorta thing. Also, with recent tech advances growth is becoming decoupled from carbon emissions, so the burning the planet thing seems less relevant to me.

Also in for more grill chat. Did the backyard upgrade with built in grill last year, so can give feedback if anyone is thinking of doing it. I will say the biggest waste is drawers. They are way more expensive than you think, and mine gets water in it when it rains anyway (my grill setup is uncovered), so it's not particularly useful.

Pre-20th century I agree but then Klein would like to have a word

i agree that we don't need to grow billionaires' wealth further, but it's a tricky proposition

for example, if we pass living wage laws, that helps a lot of people by taking it away from their employers. In a vacuum that's only helping the poor, but we know it's not a vacuum and pretty quickly those increased costs will be passed on and will also create inflation as people have new money to spend. that money cycles back into the economy and I suspect will end up back in the pockets of those billionaires.

of course, their billions are worth less than they used to be after inflation is accounted for, but still....they're billionaires

i agree that we don't need to grow billionaires' wealth further, but it's a tricky proposition

for example, if we pass living wage laws, that helps a lot of people by taking it away from their employers. In a vacuum that's only helping the poor, but we know it's not a vacuum and pretty quickly those increased costs will be passed on and will also create inflation as people have new money to spend. that money cycles back into the economy and I suspect will end up back in the pockets of those billionaires.

of course, their billions are worth less than they used to be after inflation is accounted for, but still....they're billionaires
To juice’s point, you’re sorta stuck on a market driven approach to this, and while we’re not getting the globalization genie back in the jar, there are anticompetitive practices that can lift nations out of poverty (like nationalizing resources, for example). Maybe that doesn’t represent “growth” in a sense you’re thinking of, but it allows those countries to distribute wealth back to their people much more directly.

Also wealth or economic growth are a bit limiting when I think about an advanced society or wellbeing of a nation. We’ve got the most advanced and grown economy in the world but provide really mediocre infrastructure and health outcomes. Conservatives tend to frame things in terms of consumer comfort (e.g., everyone can have an iPhone now!) but the whole picture isn’t just economic safety either.

I will say it again. Corporate "OKRs" are so incredibly dumb and we waste countless hours building them out, updating them, and meeting about them. Just get shit done.

It doesn't help that the guy who runs them is about as compelling as cafeteria coleslaw.

To juice’s point, you’re sorta stuck on a market driven approach to this, and while we’re not getting the globalization genie back in the jar, there are anticompetitive practices that can lift nations out of poverty (like nationalizing resources, for example). Maybe that doesn’t represent “growth” in a sense you’re thinking of, but it allows those countries to distribute wealth back to their people much more directly.

Also wealth or economic growth are a bit limiting when I think about an advanced society or wellbeing of a nation. We’ve got the most advanced and grown economy in the world but provide really mediocre infrastructure and health outcomes. Conservatives tend to frame things in terms of consumer comfort (e.g., everyone can have an iPhone now!) but the whole picture isn’t just economic safety either.
Agreed that I'm stuck on a market approach, because I think that's what has worked for the most part. I agree that the American system could use many improvements, for example in health care access and efficiency, and we need a more progressive tax system to allow better redistribution of resources. I think that it's unrealistic to expect us to do those things without growth though, however altruistic and right it might be, because without growth you're forcing people to give up what they have earned and that has never been sustainable here.

The rhetoric of people being lifted out of poverty by economic growth is a purposefully incomplete theory. People are lifted out of poverty with jobs and an economic safety net that provides for basic needs. A national economy can provide the jobs and welfare net through multiple different strategies, it doesn’t require this huge expanse of ever increasing private capital investment growth of shareholder profits that is alluded to by “economic growth”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back