• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: exploring BBD's virtual bunghole

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welp first thing this morning I got an email that the husband of one of my good work friends passed away unexpectedly yesterday morning. What the fuck man. She’s like late 40s, he was maybe a little older than that. They are a blended family with 5 (?) kids literally ranging from pre-K to college. Just awful.

That’s awful and this is the shit that terrifies.

I suspect that the billions of people living in poverty in the world would appreciate economic growth

even people who aren't in poverty appreciate improved quality of life and comfort, which requires growth
Yeah, I get that, but is "Growth" the only way to lift people out of poverty?

Welp first thing this morning I got an email that the husband of one of my good work friends passed away unexpectedly yesterday morning. What the fuck man. She’s like late 40s, he was maybe a little older than that. They are a blended family with 5 (?) kids literally ranging from pre-K to college. Just awful.
sorry man. sounds like it's been a rough go for your company.

sorry man. sounds like it's been a rough go for your company.
Yeah it’s been a really weird stretch since the beginning of the year. My boss’s father passed away unexpectedly in late January and he was out for like 3 weeks, my coworker with the terminal illness and now this.

I’ve never been attacked by a student because everyone loves me but I’ve definitely taken some shots breaking up fights.

That is crazy.

Why does he keep beating on her after the initial takedown? He's even still trying to kick her after they (finally) pull him off.
This is a special needs student and it’s a teachers aide. I have no clue what happened here, but I can tell you that I have been the 1 on 1 teacher with 2 different teenage boys with autism who were both huge and would absolutely fight you if you fucked up. They were both super sweet kids that I loved, but you definitely could not parent or discipline them like neurotypical children. Schedule changes, waiting, access to reinforcers (like videogames or toys) was something you had to really be strategic about if you wanted to avoid a violent meltdown.

I suspect that the billions of people living in poverty in the world would appreciate economic growth

even people who aren't in poverty appreciate improved quality of life and comfort, which requires growth
some major conflation here

economic growth is not the same as resource distribution

you could -- in theory -- allocate the world's resource without any "economic" activity

we have a distribution problem more than an economic growth problem, especially in a world that is burning up from all our growth

okay, so stop growth and just take resources from everyone. that will be more efficient i'm sure

Yeah, not many poor people are seeing the growth. Sure have a lot more billionaires since the 80s though.

I just want to know why Biden needs all of my money if he's taking it from the billionaires.

In theory, sure. But I think historically growth has the best track record for pulling people out of poverty, and is probably an easier way going forward. For me it's a why not both sorta thing. Also, with recent tech advances growth is becoming decoupled from carbon emissions, so the burning the planet thing seems less relevant to me.

Also in for more grill chat. Did the backyard upgrade with built in grill last year, so can give feedback if anyone is thinking of doing it. I will say the biggest waste is drawers. They are way more expensive than you think, and mine gets water in it when it rains anyway (my grill setup is uncovered), so it's not particularly useful.

I was in a crazy school district in El Paso TX as a 9th grader. Two girls got into full on fisticuffs in a stairwell. Knockdown drag out battle. Between classes so stairwell was packed. Two male teachers were close ish enough to stop it. They just watched. They were very obviously entertained.

I'm going to start my pepper seedlings today. 16 varieties this year. First time going from seed on peppers. Got all the things I need. Hard to beat fresh, hot peppers from the patch.
Hoping we have a house locked down by planting season here bc we just turned down a plot at a community garden oops

if you want to tax the shit out of the rich and redistribute wealth that's fine, but you need growth to continue having more wealth to redistribute

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back