• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: exploring BBD's virtual bunghole

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, given how decoupled wage growth and affordability of goods are to labor productivity I’m not sure how long we can continue the myth of growth = lifting people out of poverty.

Right, given how decoupled wage growth and affordability of goods are to labor productivity I’m not sure how long we can continue the myth of growth = lifting people out of poverty.
It’s trickle down macroeconomics. The basic tenet of capitalism is that the free movement and expansion of capital and resources is necessary for production, for job creation, etc. The more brakes you put on, the slower money moves, innovation is discouraged, everyone loses. Only that understanding doesn’t analyze the relative efficiencies or fairness of resource allocation to begin with. In capitalism, the foundational belief of economics is amoral - we don’t analyze how people acquired the resources they have, and we don’t consider whether they deserve them, or if they could be better used elsewhere. We just move forward - what are they going to do with their resources?

It's a religion at this point. Way too many Americans will root for growth that doesn't help them and often harms them.

got another elementary school dance this evening but luckily it's only like an hour and a half of actual DJing

The rhetoric of people being lifted out of poverty by economic growth is a purposefully incomplete theory. People are lifted out of poverty with jobs and an economic safety net that provides for basic needs. A national economy can provide the jobs and welfare net through multiple different strategies, it doesn’t require this huge expanse of ever increasing private capital investment growth of shareholder profits that is alluded to by “economic growth”.
I'm not trying to be purposefully incomplete, but I am trying to be realistic about what can be accomplished. The wealthy aren't going to just give it all away, so I suggest finding strategies that allow everyone to benefit from growing the pie. (Yes, that's the thinking that got us to where we are, but that's because it was poorly executed.)

To juice’s point, you’re sorta stuck on a market driven approach to this, and while we’re not getting the globalization genie back in the jar, there are anticompetitive practices that can lift nations out of poverty (like nationalizing resources, for example). Maybe that doesn’t represent “growth” in a sense you’re thinking of, but it allows those countries to distribute wealth back to their people much more directly.

Also wealth or economic growth are a bit limiting when I think about an advanced society or wellbeing of a nation. We’ve got the most advanced and grown economy in the world but provide really mediocre infrastructure and health outcomes. Conservatives tend to frame things in terms of consumer comfort (e.g., everyone can have an iPhone now!) but the whole picture isn’t just economic safety either.
One thing that I think isn't well captured in the well-being metrics is economic security. Our middle class is incredibly rich relative to the rest of the world, and metrics that show living standards are generally going to reflect that. But I think it's much easier for the bottom to fall out for someone here. One big mistake or unexpected illness and you can end up pretty fucked. That kind of thing isn't going to show up in metrics looking at aggregate data.

The wealthy don't have to "give it all away." I don't even know if raising taxes and investing in a social safety net would even make them less wealthy in the long run.

Alright let’s not decry capitalism on PlayStation VR unboxing day

a7a0a77bf335c710dc9bf34a7e62278f.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back