• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Going To The Mattresses !!! !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
could always check out Wirecutter reviews. We have had a Casper for about 4 years and like it just fine. Had heard the Leesa was better but MIL is named Lisa and there was something unsettling about that to my wife.

I have a Serta with a ~6 inch pillow top on it that I think is maybe the most comfortable bed I've ever slept on. Got it maybe 10 years ago at Mattress Firm or Discount or whatever and it wasn't over-the-top expensive. I personally don't have a lot of experience with memory foam beds, but the times I have slept on them I haven't loved it. I don't love a hard mattress, but everyone is different in this regard. But I do think that being able to test them out at a store is the best way to determine exactly what you want - at least for me.

bought the base casper for my daughter's bed to replace the garbage mattress we had and it's great. def as nice as the expensive foam one we bought for ourselves a few years ago

not sure where the "shitty quality" rejoinder comes from re: box mattresses

And the mattress delivery store took away the old mattress for free. So there was the fact that we didn't have to deal with that hassle. Though we could do what our various neighbors often do which is just leave it out on the sidewalk and see what happens.

Why not go with the adjustable sleep number bed so you can make your side concrete and your wife can make her side a pillow.

bought the base casper for my daughter's bed to replace the garbage mattress we had and it's great. def as nice as the expensive foam one we bought for ourselves a few years ago

not sure where the "shitty quality" rejoinder comes from re: box mattresses

My prior firm covered most of mattress companies in the supply chain... There are a ton of shit products out there. That's not really a debate. Essentially, the game for those players was to dump a ton of money into marketing in order to raise awareness for their brands at the expense of investing in the actual product... Only way to differentiate from the hundreds of competitors with pretty much the exact same product. Clearly, that's not all of them... I've heard good things about Casper, Leesa, Purple, etc. I just don't know how to test them without just taking a chance on ordering it knowing I can send it back (would rather not do that w/ multiple brands).

I'll check out some of the review websites today... Maybe that will make me (and the wife, more importantly) feel more "comfortable" (yup, that's a sleeping pun).

Why not go with the adjustable sleep number bed so you can make your side concrete and your wife can make her side a pillow.

Certainly under consideration. Biggest issue is that I don't have a side... I have more of a third and she takes up about 2/3 w/ her pillow fortress.

I got a Zinus king bed for like $400 a couple years back and it's been great -- maybe took a week to be sold on it

I'm generally a firm bed guy with a very thin pillow -- I'm pleased with how the weight sinks in on pressure spots

it's definitely less bouncy for bangin' though -- at least that's what they say online

we bought a Zinus box spring for our Casper a few months ago because we wanted to be higher up off the ground. you don't really need one for a bed in a box mattress other than adding height.

We have a Leesa and really like it. Ironically we have some sort of Amazon Basics queen in one of our guest bedrooms that is amazing. We traded our friends a wine fridge that we didn’t need for it and it’s gotten rave reviews from people that have stayed over. I may also know from personal experience after a marital dispute or two.

Has anyone else noticed a recent increase in the number of spam mobile phone calls?

Has anyone else noticed a recent increase in the number of spam mobile phone calls?

Definitely yes, although I've had a couple flagged as "Potential Spam" that ended up being calls I should have taken. Fortunately, they left VMs.

Lots of tension on these RJKarl boards these days... Let's cut it with a really important question:

What mattress should I buy?

Current situation:
We have a 9 year old king-sized Stearns & Foster Estate Jacalyn Luxury Plush Euro Pillowtop (since discontinued). I let my wife pick it out back then because we weren't yet married... Just moving in together, and it was important to her to have a nice, soft, new mattress (and not something I'd been using to bang random hoes on the reg... high five!). I like something firmer, but I compromised (did I mention this was 9 years ago?). We stopped rotating it regularly years ago, so it has a divot where my chiseled 6'2", 200lbs physique lays every night (way on the right 1/3 of the bed). It's time for a new one.

She actually wants something firmer this time (so think "middle of the road")... But we both hate memory foam mattresses. The pillows are great, but I don't like how my body slowly sinks into those mattresses every time I move in the night (which is a lot). I dread when I stay at a hotel that has those things. I sleep like shit in hotels anyway, but that's not germane to this.

We think we'll just get a newer version of what we have, but a little firmer than last time... And we'll just commit to rotating it more often.

Anyone have a better suggestion? I'm open to hearing both serious and snarky answers. But I really do want to know what others like.

***The couch discussion that was had in the not-so-distant past made me think this was a good forum for this. We're also in the market for a couch, but first things first.

Tempur-pedic Cloud, King. Mechanical base.

I got a Zinus king bed for like $400 a couple years back and it's been great -- maybe took a week to be sold on it

I'm generally a firm bed guy with a very thin pillow -- I'm pleased with how the weight sinks in on pressure spots

it's definitely less bouncy for bangin' though -- at least that's what they say online

Same. I got one that advertised being a cooling mattress and holy shit is it true. Definitely stay a lot cooler through the night. Had it a little over a year. Very pleased with it.

So dutch deacon 65 is an actual racist correct? Just somehow has never heard of the civil rights act or hate crime laws either

Definitely yes, although I've had a couple flagged as "Potential Spam" that ended up being calls I should have taken. Fortunately, they left VMs.

I've gotten way more spam texts than calls. If i took all there products and they worked, I'd be about as big around as a pencil.

One of my neighbors has been mansplaining the plot of Boogie Nights for probably 15 minutes to another neighbor who has also seen the movie. Fun to listen in on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back