• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread lame titles. Owning it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not suggesting that UUF is right by any stretch of the imagination, but they can be a good example of how Christianity differs. Protestant Christianity is fundamentally democratic, which lends itself to diverse beliefs and practices.

I think I'm going to hit up Panera for lunch. Gonna get that spicy Thai salad and enjoy the hell out of it, just to spite Townie.

Yeah I'm certainly not the barometer of what is and isn't Christianity, nor would I ever proclaim to be an independent arbiter of that question but this Christian Univeralist thing doesn't really seem to fall under the umbrella of Christianity other than it uses the Bible as its guide.

UU seems more up my alley than having these beliefs be entrenched in the Bible.

Brasky as a leader of the yankee face haters you will be having a tough time in the Jewish community.

Too many weird words.

No words, just lots and lots of pictures.

So you would think my simple mind would enjoy it. But nah. You can only stare up at the walls and ceilings for so long. Then you're like F this I want a iced coffee. Or a 50 cent beer. And some beef lok-lok. I miss the Cambode.

some weird takes on Buddhism but I guess I'm not really surprised.

That ignore list is incredible. Pretty clever to put buckets on the list despite them being the same person. Real dedication to the role.

Reactions: Ayo
Love Buddha, dislike Buddhism.

FP-Blog-History-of-Laughing-Buddha.jpg

lol that's Budai, different dude.

The OG Buddha, Siddhartha Gautama, is skinnier

Serious answer: If i understand correctly the kind of passage you're talking about, this is most certainly a common rhetorical trope, rather than anything much to do with "functional maximum length" for its support. I don't know much about NT survivals on papyrus, but the codex form comes out of third century Christian communities and NT material would certainly have been circulating quite early in this form. Scrolls don't really circulate.

I have no doubt that line serves as a rhetorical device. WRT to the text, my understanding is that early Christian communities transmitted the text almost exclusively through codices, with the sixteen-page quire (thanks, Kurt and Barbara Aland!) eventually becoming the standard. However, we have no idea how the gospels were originally recorded, and I've seen the ~35-foot scroll length bandied about frequently, and by some pretty good scholars, as a limiting factor. Maybe just speculation on their part

Paper, hell. He couldn't even help most of the apostles/evangelists out by keeping them from getting crucified, or flayed alive, or hacked into tiny pieces. 0/10, would not recommend.

Papyrus back then was not cheap, particularly for primarily lower-class followers of a Jewish itinerant preacher. That's not to mention pens, ink, or the unbelievable amount of time required to write all of that down by hand. It's actually pretty remarkable (IMO) how many fragments we still have today of NT texts, and how faithfully the text was preserved. As someone who loves both books and history--not to mention Jesus!--it's mind-blowing to think that at one time there was exactly one copy of the gospel of Luke in the entire world, and the effort that must have gone into reproducing and disseminating it

This is the problem with the gospel accounts, for me. You have four people (probably more, considering that multiple people likely contributed to John), each putting together accounts anywhere from 70-100 years after Jesus died, with different intended audiences and moral takeaways. Which means that these are people who, considering lifespans in that period, are probably 1 or 2 generations from having even experienced Jesus. And then they're handwriting this shit, which can't be reliably reproduced on a mass scale for literal centuries, but which also has to be retranslated and reinterpreted as other cultures and languages evolve over the next two millennia.

wait there's a list? pm please

got this from the premium board:

Definitely. We are on. And thanks for saving me $150. Wake should be favored to beat Pitt at home, I would think. Don't see them beating Duke, Louisville or VT.

I'm glad that I had not added you to the 83 posters who have met one of the three qualifications for my current ignore list: 1) nasty personal insults, 2) constantly bitching about officiating in WF games, or 3) whiny liberals who refuse to accept that America rejected their radical liberal policies on November 8th. Here is that list....and there is plenty of room for additions for anyone who meets one of the three criteria:

Ignore List
AsesinoDeTortugas
avalon
Ayo
BarcaDeac
bernbp5
bigdeaconcampus
BillBrasky
BirdinBama
birdman
Bras_is_Old
bth9673