• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread lame titles. Owning it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real America doesn't travel. If they do it's to towns and states that are surrounding them. Occasionally they will go into extreme credit card debit to book their fat asses on a plane to visit Disney. Travel outside the country, fuck no!

Cruise lines disagree with this assessment.

My coworker goes to a timeshare in Cabo every year for a week, and likes to talk about all of her worldly travels to Mexico.

New coworker asked where else she'd been in the country (she studied abroad there) and timeshare coworker's response was, "oh! we don't go outside of the wall... it's crazy dangerous!"

'MERICA.

Cruise lines disagree with this assessment.

Technically if they remain on the ship, they've only visited the territory of one foreign country - and real Americans don't leave the dining hall.

Also I think only like 30% of Americans have passports, which oddly coincides with college graduation rates. Though you might still be able to take cruises with a birth certificate. However real Americans don't have or keep secure things like original social security cards and birth certificates.

If anyone wants to see a super racist piece of Wake Forest history, check out the last page of the 1921 Howler. Should be available online. Make sure you're alone.

While I'm flattered that you think I know anything whatsoever about that topic, I'm afraid that's not the case. All I'm good for is bits and pieces I nick from Metzger or the Alands. As you point out, the NT, much less the entire Bible, wasn't circulated as a whole for centuries. My somewhat shaky and clouded recollection is that for many years, it was rare for churches to have copies of all four gospels, due in part to their length. Paul's letters were shorter, and I believe were bound together sooner than the rest, which made them a little more common. That's about all I can offer on the topic from memory, and even some of that might be inaccurate.

Interesting stuff. My period of expertise is very much, much later -- thirteen centuries, approximately -- so things had changed a bit.

It makes a lot of sense that shorter bits like Paul's letters would have circulated independently and only made their way into a more comprehensive biblical composite when someone actually sat down and thought about what belonged and what didn't. The kind of arguments that i frequently make point out that this hypothetical compiler had as much, if not more, influence on the Book we read today than did any first or second century religious figure. I have colleagues doing very interesting work on biblical apocryphal, especially on those spurious books that circulated for many years with more canonical bits but didn't make it in KJV or the Vulgate or whatever.

Deacdixieboy should chime in here because his research is super relevant to this conversation.

Why did deacdixieboy start using so many exclamation points in his posts suddenly? Holy Spirit?

You don't need to scroll very far especially the end, this is like page 8.

55346e5401c5e842a4c0eabd7a19d8db.jpg

Hmm there seem to be a number of pretty racist images in there. I'm curious the purpose of the student club called "The White Boys". I'm guessing they don't meet anymore.

folks, i am buying a teal 1999 astro conversion van! SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK

It's possible that there's more to the story. Like maybe the hanged somebody in effigy that year.

A mouse got got by a trap but it stumbled around and kept falling over and I watched all of its death throes hoo circle of life is some shit tough not to ruminate on mortality and what not

Hmm there seem to be a number of pretty racist images in there. I'm curious the purpose of the student club called "The White Boys". I'm guessing they don't meet anymore.

It looks like they all have the same last name, White !

Whelp, my buddy just discovered that he's the star of the newest breitbart sorry. Won't link the nonsense here, but i imagine bob will post it in the guns thread soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back