• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread - Lectro Busy Biting His MyPillow !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sad days, my friends.

Also, knowell and netflixnchil are unhinged maniacs.

Avalon seems cool. Sane.

Who are the M&M bros?

mm-redyellowlogo_3125.jpg

Absolutely remarkable. They just don't control the narrative at all. Their PR/Comms is absurd.

Pretty insane that you could take a group of the less unhinged posters from this board and do a better job of running the show. We could at least avoid these gigantic mis-steps and incredibly tone deaf public relations. We even have most of the major functional groups covered: finance, legal, marketing/comm, etc.

I'm just sad, y'all. If the AD doesn't care, then I'm not going to care anymore, either. This community is really great, but I really can't imagine watching Wake basketball anymore. Wins will make it worse and there is no joy in rooting for losses. I guess it's time to change my signature.

i'm bummed, but not that mad

i just wanna know what the contract really is though

Brace yourselves for some corporate speak here, but Wake Forest is a business. On the RACI chart for Wake athletics, Ron Wellman is responsible for the operations of his department, but we have a board of trustees and university president who are accountable. When the buyout deal, which I have to speculate required board signoff as it would require a significant PO, was put before the board, Wellman should have been laughed out of the room for dereliction of fiduciary responsibility.

That clearly didn't happen, so either

1) The board is full of sycophants or old and disinterested people. From the few I'm familiar with that sit on our board, this could be the case.
2) Wake's athletic budget is separate from the University's, and is run at Wellman's sole discretion. I'd find this extremely hard to believe.
3) Wellman laid out his plan and put his reputation on the line to give Danny more time, and the board asked him to retire this year when it fell apart.

Regardless, Currie has been dealt a completely shitty hand. For what should be a cushy lifetime gig at Wake, he now has a fanbase that has been completely turned off and a flagship program burning cash and goodwill. Wake is still a good enough academic institution that we shouldn't let athletics steer the business into the ditch like this. But from what I can see of how the rest of the school operates, it doesn't seem to be headed in a better direction anywhere else either. We're just lining up in the facilities and administrative arms race alongside everyone else with no plans to make the school more inclusive or accessible or to improve its academic reputation. That our endowment hasn't substantively grown since the economic recovery should say a lot, even if this is a time of capital investment.

Dire times.

Absolutely remarkable. They just don't control the narrative at all. Their PR/Comms is absurd.

In their defense, there's no way to plausibly explain such a terrible decision. They can't come out and say, "the buyout is too big to fire Manning," but they have to say something. Thus, nothing statements about how "the foundation is being built" and Manning doing things the right way. I actually feel bad for the PR folks, because they're stuck trying to defend the indefensible.

In their defense, there's no way to plausibly explain such a terrible decision. They can't come out and say, "the buyout is too big to fire Manning," but they have to say something. Thus, nothing statements about how "the foundation is being built" and Manning doing things the right way. I actually feel bad for the PR folks, because they're stuck trying to defend the indefensible.

Their self written Q&A had the buyout as the first question. That's straight up incompetence.

I’m not very educated on the logistics of a university’s finances so can someone explain how Wake Will factors into the overall picture. It seems like the campaign has been very successful to date. I realize that not all that money flows into the school right away but where does it go? Directly to infrastructure projects? Scholarship funds? Endowment? Just curious from someone who knows more about the subject.

(very) arguably the worst part is the whole attitude of us being stupid rube fans who cannot see how this team is being set up for success. just reeks of "that's why I'm the AD and you're the idiots eating hot dogs in the stands."

(very) arguably the worst part is the whole attitude of us being stupid rube fans who cannot see how this team is being set up for success. just reeks of "that's why I'm the AD and you're the idiots eating hot dogs in the stands."

They’ll probably shut down the hot dog stands this year as vendors will lose money every home game. Like the bojangles leaving.

Well I for one will not be attending a single Wake Forest sporting event for the next two years.

They get paid a lot of money to figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back