• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread - Lectro Busy Biting His MyPillow !

Status
Not open for further replies.
i say this as someone who regularly takes day trips with my wife to places like hillwood

in fact i was on here two weekends ago talking about how much i loved glenstone

just don't want to do it as a company outing when the other option was something fun

Yeah, the one thought one thread people are the worst. "What if.."

Wellman is purposefully delaying the announcement to fuck with the fans? ARGHAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

My favorite is how many posters are literally experts at dissecting the personality of a guy who they have never met for a second and who rarely even appears in the media that often.

Wellman's fall from grace is p stunning. Folks may not have been around long enough to remember that after Skip died, the prevailing sentiment was "thank God we have Ron Wellman" and "In Ron We Trust." The dude probably had a 95% approval rating among Wake fans. He fired Dino and that was a real Fuckin' A moment, because folks felt like Dino needed to go, but weren't sure whether Wellman had the balls to pull the trigger. It also seemed, at the time, that he may have had Brad Stevens lined up as a replacement. Cut to a week later, when Goodman broke the [name redacted] hire, which came out of fucking nowhere, and that was pretty much the destruction of Wellman's reputation and legacy. He's been Ronald McDonald Wellman ever since and there is a 10,000 post thread entitled "Fuck You, Ron Wellman" on his board. Amazing stuff.

My favorite is how many posters are literally experts at dissecting the personality of a guy who they have never met for a second and who rarely even appears in the media that often.

I love the theory that a guy who's worked for 20 years to make the athletic program better is intentionally sabotaging it just to say F you on the way out. That's evil-genius level shit there.

It's been fun seeing who the new awful posters are after five years away.

Nope, never have. Going on the list though. Thanks! One of these days I will get to my list. Fucking smart phones. Is there something of his you'd recommend?

I watched the last 10 minutes of my CBJ last night because of this thread. It did not go well.

The Lazarus Project was a National Book Award finalist that's probably his most well-known. Love and Other Obstacles is great short stories.

Wellman's fall from grace is p stunning. Folks may not have been around long enough to remember that after Skip died, the prevailing sentiment was "thank God we have Ron Wellman" and "In Ron We Trust." The dude probably had a 95% approval rating among Wake fans. He fired Dino and that was a real Fuckin' A moment, because folks felt like Dino needed to go, but weren't sure whether Wellman had the balls to pull the trigger. It also seemed, at the time, that he may have had Brad Stevens lined up as a replacement. Cut to a week later, when Goodman broke the [name redacted] hire, which came out of fucking nowhere, and that was pretty much the destruction of Wellman's reputation and legacy. He's been Ronald McDonald Wellman ever since and there is a 10,000 post thread entitled "Fuck You, Ron Wellman" on his board. Amazing stuff.

right, we loved him back when I was in school and we had Grobe in his prime plus Skip in his prime. we were proud as hell he was gonna chair the Selection Committee and were worried when he flirted with I think Tennessee. Now, he's public enemy numero uno for Wake fans despite making another good football and soccer hire and getting us some crazy good facility upgrades. I went to a Wake Will event in DC in like 2016 and they had little cards they were handing out showing where it had how each department was doing relative to its funding goals. every department was behind except athletics, which had already blown past its goal.

The Lazarus Project was a National Book Award finalist that's probably his most well-known. Love and Other Obstacles is great short stories.

Sweet. I'm sure we have those here. I need to get a reading kick going.

I, too, like touring old houses and gardens and museums and stuff :couch: but yeah, that'd be a lame work outing -- baseball with booze would be much better.

I love the theory that a guy who's worked for 20 years to make the athletic program better is intentionally sabotaging it just to say F you on the way out. That's evil-genius level shit there.

It's been fun seeing who the new awful posters are after five years away.

I do wanna know what Danny's contract is though

Ugh my company voted to go to the Hillwood Estate instead of a Nats game for our summer company outing wtf

Haha. Went there with my wife because used to live about a half mile away so we had a walk over to it. Prepare to be bored.

right, we loved him back when I was in school and we had Grobe in his prime plus Skip in his prime. we were proud as hell he was gonna chair the Selection Committee and were worried when he flirted with I think Tennessee. Now, he's public enemy numero uno for Wake fans despite making another good football and soccer hire and getting us some crazy good facility upgrades. I went to a Wake Will event in DC in like 2016 and they had little cards they were handing out showing where it had how each department was doing relative to its funding goals. every department was behind except athletics, which had already blown past its goal.

Wellman contains multitudes.

Really the only crazy thing he did in his tenure was hire Redacted. It's mind boggling to me, and says something about Wellman, that he met with Redacted and didn't realize immediately that he lacked the personality to be a successful college basketball coach at Wake Forest. My theory has always been that Wellman thought Dino was a poor Xs and Os basketball coach, so if he could swap out a better basketball mind for Dino, but keep the rest of the assistants on board to handle recruiting, it would be the best of all worlds. Obviously, if that was the plan, it failed miserably.

I don't blame Wellman for hiring Manning, because he was clearly like the 7th choice, and it wasn't outside the realm of possibility at that point that Manning could succeed. I do question, again, with how Wellman could interview Manning and not be turned off by the lack of charisma.

Anyway, Wellman did some great things for Wake, and it's hard to say "fuck you" to the guy who got Deacon Tower built, hired 2 really good football coaches (and won a motherfucking ACC Championship in football, which I never thought I'd see in my lifetime), and whose athletic teams won multiple national titles. But, man, did he screw the pooch with Redacted.

aside from basketball hires, the knock on Wellman has mostly been that he's arrogant and always fancied himself the smartest guy in the room

you can get away with that if you don't have back-to-back hires like bz and Manning

I think a bit of humility would have gone a long way for his legacy in light of the last ten years of basketball

There are those who I know who give not insignificant amounts of money to Wake sports that would tell you Wellman has basically been lucky with a couple of hires and that he's not even that great a fundraiser, he has just lucked into a couple of steady, wealthy alum/connected donors, and that his priorities with that spending have been questionable. His stewardship of the department and those who he has hired and promoted within it, has also been questioned. He is also incredibly boring and conservative (not commenting politically). I don't think he's trying to sabotage anything, I think he's lived in an echo chamber of his own creation for so long he long ago lost sense of any perspective or self-criticism. I know just enough to buy all that, while also, somewhat reluctantly, giving him credit for keeping us solvent and in the conversation with major sports, although I think that is an easily reachable floor.

All of which is to say that, even pre-Bz hire, these were concerns and criticisms that I heard about, and weren't necessarily isolated.

Last edited:
Hiring [Redacted] was crazy, yes, then he doubled and tripled down on a bad hand with his behavior like the interviews and comments during his tenure and then even the comments at the “resigning” press conference that left everyone wondering if this guy has any clue what’s going on.

He apparently genuinely thought there was nothing wrong with Bz. He had to be convinced by an outside PR firm to give those terrible interviews as some form of controlling the message/damage control. We saw how that went. It's consistent with how he managed things throughout his tenure, it was just brought into focus with the terrible Bz hire.

He apparently genuinely thought there was nothing wrong with Bz. He had to be convinced by an outside PR firm to give those terrible interviews as some form of controlling the message/damage control. We saw how that went. It's consistent with how he managed things throughout his tenure, it was just brought into focus with the terrible Bz hire.

that's the most puzzling part. because during his tenure we won the ACC Tournament twice, won the regular season with Howard, were #1 in the country on 2 different occasions with 2 different coaches, and produced some world class NBA players. then he sees Bz and is like "yep, right where Wake bball usually is."

Wake produces a lot of very smart people who have known basketball success, but then he treated fans like they were idiots for not seeing the success of Bz.

So I guess to respond to say hey, yes that may be Ron’s “only” crazy thing but when it’s so off the wall you kind of push prior accomplishments to the background.

Like if Warren Buffett cashed out of B-H today and decided to put it all on red in Vegas and pretended the world was crazy for seeing that move as nuts, would we be like “well that’s the only crazy thing he did after a stellar career” or would we be like “this guys lost his marbles”

...and now I sound like one of the freakouters on the sports board so I think I’m gonna take a step back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back