• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread Mr. E Mann Ayger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barbie was excellent. Absolutely brilliant. They pulled off simultaneously critiquing and celebrating an iconic toy brand with unapologetically social and academic feminism.

The ridiculous storms we have been having took out or tomato plants this week.

The only things that haven’t been hit are the herbs and peppers but the peppers are t producing anything.

The fact that the Barbie movie did so well is making my wife irrationally angry.

I’m not 100% sure why, but I think it has to do with her feeling like it looks really dumb yet a lot of her friends have been all fired up for it on social media.

So maybe she’s mad at herself for having an unpopular opinion?

I mean, with Greta Gerwig directing it was never going to be a dumb cash in. It was always going to be at the very least an interesting attempt at telling a story within the shackles of a corporate IP.

I think we are at the point where marketing really did it’s thing and now the snowball effect of it becoming a phenomenon means it could be absolutely mediocre but you’ve been completely conditioned to think otherwise.

The fact that the Barbie movie did so well is making my wife irrationally angry.

I’m not 100% sure why, but I think it has to do with her feeling like it looks really dumb yet a lot of her friends have been all fired up for it on social media.

So maybe she’s mad at herself for having an unpopular opinion?
I feel like there's room for your wife to be frustrated for her friends to continually be distracted by whatever is being pushed down our throats. I don't remember the last time a movie was advertised as heavily as Barbie. Maybe pirates of the Caribbean?

I feel like there's room for your wife to be frustrated for her friends to continually be distracted by whatever is being pushed down our throats. I don't remember the last time a movie was advertised as heavily as Barbie. Maybe pirates of the Caribbean?
Did you miss all the Star Wars, Avengers, Dark Knight, etc movies?

I don't watch cable television. I very rarely watch streaming services. I listen to NPR in the morning, but no other radio.

I heard advertising on NPR. I saw YouTube shorts that were related to the movie. I think I went to the theater twice in the last 7-8 months. I saw Barbie advertisements both times, both paper and screen.

Two of the four podcasts that I listen to either mentioned the movie or were paid to mention it.

What I'm trying to say is that I'm pretty hard to penetrate for advertising, unlike in real life. I felt highly penetrated by the advertising for this movie. I don't mind being penetrated like that.

I think people probably noticed the Barbie marketing more because it was novel, super bright, and kind of bizarre that it was happening at all. We are so used to Marvel/Star Wars marketing that we probably get exposed to just as much of that but we don't clock it as much.

thought Oppenheimer was fantastic. Think it’s guaranteed Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor nominations, probably will also get editing, adapted screenplay, and visual effects noms as well.

Probably my second favorite Nolan film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back