• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread Nautilus: the Great British Bake Off is amazing, you guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
DCdeac is def. not one of the worst posters. You guys are nuts

The sports board is the worst board, by a mile. The threads are a mess and the sports board only posters are literally insane

I love how a bunch of non-NBA watching donks have now concluded that JC won't make it. Probably a lot of overlap between that group and the "he should come back next year and be a top 5 pick" group.

I'm not a basketball Xs and Os guru, but it seems like Collins's problem is we're not strong defensively at SG and SF, and we have no center to guard the rim, so our opponents are constantly driving the lane. Collins has to let some of those go, because if he challenged every shot he'd foul out in about 4 minutes. In the NBA, presumably he would not have this burden.

he's the type of dude who makes a lot of long explainy posts that occasionally make me think "oh that's pretty good analysis" until I read them again and realize he's just reframing a bunch of super obvious points as if they were bold and controversial

All of his posts seem like cherry picked stats and false equivalencies to basically say welp nothing we could do there.

Not really interested in finding the right thread on the sports board mess to discuss this, but anyone else not sure if Manning is on the right track or not? I think I'm still #WaitAndSee because I want to see how he continues to recruit. We need a little more talent than we currently have to compete like we want (and probably should). I felt similar last year losing CMM and especially Devin worried about replacing that production. Collins is gone. Crawford might be too. Outside of Childress who would need to take a big step to replace Crawford, the freshmen really didn't play this year to see if they can handle the load. I like Chaundee alright, but without Collins, I don't think it's reasonable to expect us to be better next year. I think Manning is getting better as a coach, but he will have to continue to improve as a recruiter to build anything to last.

Is slim the person that got married on the beach, next to what we thought were empty bud light cans, but turns out it was actually his dead grandmothers ashes

Somehow this is completely new to me. Someone back up deets truck.

I'm not a basketball Xs and Os guru, but it seems like Collins's problem is we're not strong defensively at SG and SF, and we have no center to guard the rim, so our opponents are constantly driving the lane. Collins has to let some of those go, because if he challenged every shot he'd foul out in about 4 minutes. In the NBA, presumably he would not have this burden.

eh, but that's not what happened, at least not in the last two games. he sorta forgot how to defend the screener (or, more likely, he just started getting super lazy when defending the screener) and got caught with his guy two steps behind him over and over and over and over again.

I think part of that is probably on the guard in the play for not just taking the switch, but we kept getting caught in these super awkward double teams where Collins tried to play it both ways. hell, there were a few times where it actually didn't come back to bite us because they missed the opportunity to hit the big. definitely can't get away with that in the NBA.

I don't think Johnson is a particularly scary 3 point threat, so I expected JC to stay at home

Ph is right, though. Would have been nice to see an actual center in the game for a bit to push Collins to the 4 on defense, where we might have been able to get away with his wandering a little better

There are several factors. First, he's not very strong yet. Gets knocked off his spot a fair amount. Second, he's got pretty poor defensive awareness (as does the rest of the team). I think that can be coached up but maybe not. Third, you are right that he couldn't afford to foul. Plus NCAA refs suck bkf dong. Last, again you are right that we couldn't stay in front of anyone which put him in a lot of bad spots.

Not really interested in finding the right thread on the sports board mess to discuss this, but anyone else not sure if Manning is on the right track or not? I think I'm still #WaitAndSee because I want to see how he continues to recruit. We need a little more talent than we currently have to compete like we want (and probably should). I felt similar last year losing CMM and especially Devin worried about replacing that production. Collins is gone. Crawford might be too. Outside of Childress who would need to take a big step to replace Crawford, the freshmen really didn't play this year to see if they can handle the load. I like Chaundee alright, but without Collins, I don't think it's reasonable to expect us to be better next year. I think Manning is getting better as a coach, but he will have to continue to improve as a recruiter to build anything to last.

http://www.ogboards.com/forums/showthread.php/23725-Danny-Manning-Credibility-Watch

here you go

Oh, I know the pic. Didn't realize there were urns. Too distracted by the hammer pants rental tux.

Collins is surely gone, which sucks, but that's how college basketball works these days unless you're UNC or Duke.

I expect Crawford will return, because I imagine he'd be a long shot to even go in the 1st round, but if he leaves, we're fucked. If Crawford comes back, I'd think he'd be an All-ACC candidate and we should at least be respectable. We're probably not a NCAAT team again, but who knows.

Definitely need to send Doral and the Englishman to BIG MAN CAMP. Is that still a thing? Is Pete Newell still alive? Someone needs to start a thread on the sports board about this.

Definitely need to send Doral and the Englishman to BIG MAN CAMP. Is that still a thing? Is Pete Newell still alive? Someone needs to start a thread on the sports board about this.

they're too worried about doral transferring right now, because that is what happens when you allow yourself to be led by a guy whose claim to fame is being a top 100 nc ambulance chaser

Last edited:
Also, thanks for the Xs and Os analysis. I don't know shit about that stuff, just from my unexpert view it seemed like other teams get a lot of easy shots against us, and there are a lot of times where I seem to be watching Collins let a guy go rather than commit a foul. We also get very few blocked shots, while it seems like our guards and Dinos get stuffed at least 50% of the time they take the ball inside. Has Lil' Chill ever NOT been blocked inside?

Collins is surely gone, which sucks, but that's how college basketball works these days unless you're UNC or Duke.

I expect Crawford will return, because I imagine he'd be a long shot to even go in the 1st round, but if he leaves, we're fucked. If Crawford comes back, I'd think he'd be an All-ACC candidate and we should at least be respectable. We're probably not a NCAAT team again, but who knows.

That probably warrants 3 threads. One for each player individually and one for general discussion of BIG MAN CAMP. Maybe throw in a 4th inquiring about Pete Newell for good measure.

We also get very few blocked shots

one thing that bugged me last night was there were a couple of times (I think once with Collins and once with SJM) where we actually had decent positioning in the paint, and then fucked ourselves over by hesitating to try to get a block. same sorta shit that Ty Walker used to pull.

I think there should be thread rationing. Like posters get a certain amount of threads they can post per year (moonz and socaldeac would die) and then each event, like, say a NCAA tournament game can only have a few threads pertaining to them.

I wonder if discdude is okay this morning

his programming seemed to malfunction last night

there were so many sloppy passes that were easily stolen. like I think there was one where KS chased a ball all the way to the end of the backcourt and got an over and back called and then they stole our inbounds pass and had an easy layup/dunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back