• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread Nautilus: the Great British Bake Off is amazing, you guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Biff you were wrong! I don't have a torn meniscus, I have runner's knee AND a little jumpers knee too. I guess my form reallllly sucks. I got some fancy pants knee brace and he told me not to run for 2 weeks. Not too bad thankfully.

Also heyyyyy everyone. My company had a big party yesterday and now everyone is hungover but I feel great! I'm saving up my drankzz for this weekend.

6 story apartment building under construction that caught on fire. They have no idea on the cause yet, but it was essentially 70 ft of bare wood with plenty of airflow = major inferno.

Reading some angst about permitting these stick built high rise structures in downtown. My understanding is that the building standards were lowered during the Great Recession to facilitate development.

Charleston is indubitably a better food city than Asheville. Asheville might be better from a beer/brewery perspective. Probably depends on priorities.

Distribution these days is so good that I personally rate the latter a little bit lower. Part of the reason I loved Wilmington, NC so much was because I lived 3 blocks from an awesome bottle shop that would regularly stock all the great southeast beers (and west coast beers, and midwest beers). They would take weekend trips to drive to Burial etc. before they'd even deliver.

Asheville has nothing on the high end like a McCrady's or a Husk or Fig. But on the mid-range we do pretty good. I could see Katie Button at Curate doing something high end at some point. John Fleer of Rhubarb is a finalist for Best Chef SE in this year's Beard Awards, however. And he has the capability to do fine dining given his past at Blackberry Farm.

Report: Oh, Fuck Yeah, Egg Yolk Dripping All Over Sandwich

800.jpg

SARASOTA, FL—Saying that the plump liquid center had been broken and was trickling warm yellow goo on all sides, a report released Thursday found that, oh, fuck yeah, an egg yolk was dripping all over a sandwich. “Oh baby, just look at that,” the report read in part, adding that, hell yes, every ingredient in the sandwich was now soaked in the stuff. “Man oh man, it’s flowing onto the plate now. So goddamn tasty.” The report went on to say—sweet Jesus fucking yes—that a piece of crispy bacon had fallen out of the sandwich and could be dipped into the yolk.

Asheville has nothing on the high end like a McCrady's or a Husk or Fig. But on the mid-range we do pretty good. I could see Katie Button at Curate doing something high end at some point. John Fleer of Rhubarb is a finalist for Best Chef SE in this year's Beard Awards, however. And he has the capability to do fine dining given his past at Blackberry Farm.

Steakhouses and Seafood pwn Asheville too

Definitely a better nightlife, but that's because of the young people

Will Numbers get his own bedroom in your new Charleston apartment, or do you guys have bunkbeds and share a single?

We are planning on getting a two bedroom, so numbers can share it with my dog when he visits.

Last time I went to Chucktown (I think it's been 2 years now, SAD!) Husk was fucking awful. Nothing close to "high end". We were rushed through a 45 minute dinner that came at way too high a price and our food came out < 5 minutes after we'd ordered it.

I'll give em Fig and McCrady's, but Husk is just overrated now, trying to worry about expanding too much.

Charleston wins on seafood and steakhouses, sure, but who GAF about steakhouses if you're a foody.

It's attracted the 2nd best Texas BBQ pit master, the consensus best whole hog pitmaster, and has a pretty damn good local chain in Home Team (with my favorite wings in Charleston). That's just BBQ, which is clearly a "foodie" staple considering the long lines people are willing to endure.

So yeah I guess I'm just really salty about that Husk experience last time. Edmund's Oast was my favorite place we went on that trip. Still gotta do Fig and I loved McCrady's the one time I've been there (because that was like a 12 course private tasting menu bday thing from the man himself).

Also Sean Brock da gawd's more interesting Husk is in Nashville, no doubt. McCrady's has changed a LOT in the last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back