• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread Omega

Status
Not open for further replies.
Things White People Like warning:

Over the last year, I've collected a handful of leather-bound book sets from the 1800's (Works of Dickens, "Shakspere," Austen, etc), as well as a few that are a little bit older (Kempis 1733, Pascal 1741, Cave's Lives of the Apostles 1677). The centerpiece is a Gregorian chant on vellum from approximately 1450. If I can figure out how you youngs host pictures these days, I'll try to post some

Niiiiiice. Yeah, post pictures if you can.

can't remember if I asked this on here or not, but was talking with some friends about PKs and we discussed the following:

which would you feel more confident doing: hitting a PK against a WC-quality goalie to extend the match or hitting two FTs down two with no time on the clock in the NBA playoffs

does your answer change if it is three FTs down three or a PK?

I'd go with free throws, but I don't really know how these soccer players are missing so many PKs. They should all be able to lift it and put it in one of the upper corners which I'd have to believe would be about a 3% chance of the GK saving

I’d feel more confident in my ability to make the game winning PK in the WC than to make two free throws in my driveway

6QpIDH4.jpg

xDbZb9s.jpg

LuqUl1q.jpg

ak88buX.jpg

BWvJbrN.jpg

IM102V8.jpg

XpbdzMa.jpg

1XmJ59T.jpg

Best I can do at work. And, yes, they smell amazing

What you'll see in these early 19th century books are a move to mechanized sewing, especially for the first time end bands, and a transition from leather binding to cloth.

I can't tell from the images, but I'd guess many of these books are quarter-bound or perhaps half-bound in leather, with marbelized paper covers. Binding would have been for the first time under the purview of publishers during this period (hence the matching spine decoration) interested in customers buying sets.

If you've got the time, OGB, I'd be interested in checking out the c18 books and especially the c15 (as that is my period of expertise).

Also, don't listen to booksellers when it comes to support. Call it "parchment", not "vellum" because the latter refers exclusively to calfskin and depending on when and where it was produced it might very well not be vellum at all. Booksellers tend to call every membrane vellum and though I've given up on convincing them I've found myself politely correcting academics who frequently make the same mistake.

What's the larger format (probably folio) in brown calf on the second shelf from the bottom?

I've got a huge Books on Tape library if you're interested.

What you'll see in these early 19th century books are a move to mechanized sewing, especially for the first time end bands, and a transition from leather binding to cloth.

I can't tell from the images, but I'd guess many of these books are quarter-bound or perhaps half-bound in leather, with marbelized paper covers. Binding would have been for the first time under the purview of publishers during this period (hence the matching spine decoration) interested in customers buying sets.

If you've got the time, OGB, I'd be interested in checking out the c18 books and especially the c15 (as that is my period of expertise).

Also, don't listen to booksellers when it comes to support. Call it "parchment", not "vellum" because the latter refers exclusively to calfskin and depending on when and where it was produced it might very well not be vellum at all. Booksellers tend to call every membrane vellum and though I've given up on convincing them I've found myself politely correcting academics who frequently make the same mistake.

Mine are pretty evenly split between full leather (Byron, Grote, Milton, Wordsworth) and half-leather over marbled boards (Austen, Dickens, Disraeli, Scott, Shakespeare). All the edges are marbled as well, which I prefer over gilt (or uncut). They all date from between the 1840's to the 1880's, which seems to roughly correspond with the heyday for those style bindings.

I'll try to snap some pictures of the older books tonight. One of them was rebound in the mid-1800's. Duly noted on the vellum, although it's not really a book, haha. I'm not sure about the format of Cave. It wasn't specified in the listing, and I'm not sure how to tell on my own. Here's the complete listing:

Title: Antiquitates Apostolicae: or, the History of the Lives, Acts and Martyrdoms of the Holy Apostles of our Saviour, and the Two Evangelists, SS. Mark & Luke To which is added: An Inroductory Discourse concerning the Three Great Dispensations of the Church, Patriachal, Mosaical, and Evangelical. Being a Continuation of Antiquitates Christianae, or The Life and Death of the Holy Jesus. The Third Edition.
Author: Cave, William
Publisher: R. Norton
Description: 3rd Edition, printed for R. Royston. 310x215mm, LXVIII+XVII+234+XXXII+335 pages. Original Leather Hardcover with ribbed spine and gilt spine-title. Decorative engravings on front and back covers. Contains several double-page, full-page, and smaller engravings. Cover is very lightly stained and very lightly scratched. Cover edges slightly worn. Spine edges and spine ribs slightly worn. Numerous ink inscriptions on inner front cover, first and third whitepages, as well as first rear whitepage, by previous owner. Also, pencil inscriptions logging past repairs to the book, on first whitepage. All pages lightly yellowing, while engravings are slightly moreso. Almost no age-stains, although there are several tiny brown burnmarks in various locations in the book. Several engravings have been reinforced with a paperboard backing (No damage to the engravings). Several pages repaired. All pages slightly wavy. Page edges red. This rare beautifully illustrated book is in good condition for its age. The book is in : English

Awesome, thanks for these details. I'm especially intrigued by your description of the c15 thing as "not really a book." Sweet.

My knowledge of anything post, say, 1602 is pretty cursory. The parlor trick for determining format (and there are notable exceptions) is to look at the chain lines embedded in the paper: if they run vertically (in a larger book), it's a folio, meaning the sheet has been folded a single time to produce four pages (two leaves). The size of the book itself depends on the size of the paper used to produce it. You can also usually determine format by noting the location of watermarks: in folio format the watermark, when you can spot one, can be found in the center of the leaf. In quartos it will be split by the gutter. In smaller formats it will move all over the place.

ETA: the chain lines are the bold, less regular lines -- maybe three or four per leaf. The other lines are called "laid lines".

this is possibly the most esoteric CT discussion ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back