• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread Omega

Status
Not open for further replies.
aren't all football players jacked up on steroids?

somehow watching some guys run around on a field playing a game is wildly different from watching people playing a game moving avatars on a screen

i'm not a video game person at all, but i agree that there really isn't a difference. people watch other people play games for entertainment.

i mean, people watch regular season MLB games on TV all the time and find it entertaining

People watch darts, pool, bowling, fishing, NASCAR, Dancing with the Stars, the Big Bang Theory -- I don't watch e-sports, but I would over any of those things.

i'm kinda with juice on this one but maybe i'm just old

People watch darts, pool, bowling, fishing, NASCAR, Dancing with the Stars, the Big Bang Theory -- I don't watch e-sports, but I would over any of those things.

Surely this is more entertaining than Soccer

if we need to sit and breakdown the difference between physical activity and manipulating a software program then we may be starting too far apart to continue

i'm not tryna watch dudes make spreadsheets, no matter how elegant they are

seems sorta judgy / high school-y to criticize that scene. people enjoy watching people do things they also enjoy. who gives a fuck?

if we need to sit and breakdown the difference between physical activity and manipulating a software program then we may be starting too far apart to continue

nobody's trying to breakdown the difference between playing sports and playing e-sports (though that argument is super tired and annoying too). the breakdown is in the difference between watching folks play sports and watching folks play e-sports, which is effectively the same thing from an entertainment perspective (watching folks perform a task at a very high level)

and at the end of the day, professional athletes are doing the same thing as professional e-athletes, anyway, aren't they? they're playing a fucking child's game

just a weird fucking thing to judge folks for watching

also i did not expect Milhouse to be on this side of the argument, but: hey you fucking olds, listen to Milhouse

nobody's asking dudes who've never heard of dota or whatever the fuck to go start watching people play dota. it's not for them.

on the other hand, not everybody who watches a given esport plays the game, because some of those people had open minds about what they were watching and decided they found value in it, which is cool and chill

but at the end of the day we live in a world where millions of idiots watch Logan Paul or whatever

I would argue that the world would be a better place if a majority of his audience focused on watching people play games in some capacity

(and sure, I realize this is hypocritical in the sense that I'm criticizing the value of Paul's content while also saying that people should watch what they like to watch, but I do think watching e-sports-- especially team-based games-- offers objective value beyond mindless entertainment that Paul's content, and content from the many like-minded channels on youtube, does not)

anyway sorry for the /thread, carry on

i'm all live and let live but this all started because I was thinking I'd have a hard time getting into it if I had a kid who wanted to get deep into e-sports

and now I don't get sweet SportsCenter highlights but the ESPN app on my Roku has e-sports content, so something has changed that has diminished my quality of life just an iota

So you don’t have a good reason.

the good reason is that one is a person physically doing something and another is a graphic doing something

I dunno, all that parrying of chun li's shit looked badass. Basically as long as the fans are getting nuts, I can get into it as long as it can't end in a scoreless tie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back