• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread Omega

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nevermind, this seems like the best job ever. 4 hours a day
8d9ab551b1d592c3f4724cd179f08529.png

I don't get it. What does this mean?

You go out and collect those fucking electric scooters and hoard them till there’s surge pricing. Then you charge them and release them and the company pays you.

You go out and collect those fucking electric scooters and hoard them till there’s surge pricing. Then you charge them and release them and the company pays you.

You can't pick them up until like after 9PM at night and have to drop them off before 5AM in the morning.

You can't pick them up until like after 9PM at night and have to drop them off before 5AM in the morning.

It's before 7AM, yeah. How interesting.

I mean, I'm not going to do it because that's just work and shit - but wild what the kids are coming up with these days.

That'd be a terrible job, what's the net after you pay taxes and buy your own health insurance?

Back in the Music Library this afternoon to remember my true calling in this position: be on the receiving end of bitch fests by the three other full timers here, either about each other, the students, or administration. Good times! I guess everyone has their role.

city council debating dockless scooters this week here in Chicago

I think LA is the ideal city for them -- year-round favorable weather, fewer pedestrians per capita than most big cities (thus reduced concern with sidewalk congestion), more scattershot business/retail so pileups aren't as big an issue

don't think they're a good fit for denser areas without docks and required use of bike lanes

Some people here are real dicks with the e-scooters, weaving in and out of traffic and barreling down crowded sidewalks. They do seem pretty convenient though and they move along at a pretty decent clip.

Are you able to ride them for free if you're a collector or are you just grabbing them and throwing them in a truck/van/whatever

there are a few monowheel scooter things that are remote controlled that can go up to 25 mph or so

some dudes fly around on those

Some people here are real dicks with the e-scooters, weaving in and out of traffic and barreling down crowded sidewalks. They do seem pretty convenient though and they move along at a pretty decent clip.

I'm surprised no one's killed themselves on one yet. There's no suspension - one dip and you're done for.

This could easily be done by someone who had a regular 9-5.

I'm just saying, like most "gig economy" jobs, it looks a lot better initially that it actually ends up being. Also, I was responding to this "Nevermind, this seems like the best job ever. 4 hours a day", not talking about doing it for some side cash if you've got the time/vehicle to make it happen and another job to provide yourself with insurance.

Palma: "It's $50-60/hr gross. Holy white person privilege take."

Why not just post that publicly? No need to be a negrep pussy. People were saying the exact same shit about Uber when it launched, but in the end most of those guys barely make minimum wage when you factor in all the expenditures. I'm sure it's fine for some side cash if you want to spend time outside of your normal job, but it isn't likely going to be a sustainable job for anyone down the road.

I'm surprised no one's killed themselves on one yet. There's no suspension - one dip and you're done for.

I hate to say it's only a matter of time, but it's only a matter of time.
I think they're kind of cool and also hate the dolts who ride them.

I hate to say it's only a matter of time, but it's only a matter of time.
I think they're kind of cool and also hate the dolts who ride them.

"I love the idea, but hate the way people are a part of it."

This applies to so many things.

I'm just saying, like most "gig economy" jobs, it looks a lot better initially that it actually ends up being. Also, I was responding to this "Nevermind, this seems like the best job ever. 4 hours a day", not talking about doing it for some side cash if you've got the time/vehicle to make it happen and another job to provide yourself with insurance.

Palma: "It's $50-60/hr gross. Holy white person privilege take."

Why not just post that publicly? No need to be a negrep pussy. People were saying the exact same shit about Uber when it launched, but in the end most of those guys barely make minimum wage when you factor in all the expenditures. I'm sure it's fine for some side cash if you want to spend time outside of your normal job, but it isn't likely going to be a sustainable job for anyone down the road.

The point of my post was to say "holy shit, someone's making $50/hr charging scooters" not to analyze the implications pre and post FICA taxes nor suggest we should all quit our jobs because of a fad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back