• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Ready for the reign/rain to end

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad worked on a tunnel project in Puerto Rico for a couple of years, but for the life of me, I can't remember which one. Something about connecting San Juan to the western part of the island.
My grand father was stationed there during World War Two, in case the Germans invaded the Caribbean and to protect the Panama Canal.

My grand father was stationed there during World War Two, in case the Germans invaded the Caribbean and to protect the Panama Canal.
Seems like a pretty good assignment. My wife and I were discussing the best assignments while watching Masters of the Air. Other than staying domestically we came up with ground crew on an air base in England or being in Greenland.

Seems like a pretty good assignment. My wife and I were discussing the best assignments while watching Masters of the Air. Other than staying domestically we came up with ground crew on an air base in England.
He volunteered in 1939 before the U.S. was in the war and went to officer school, then got to put in a request for a duty station. He picked PR thinking it was likely to be safer there.

My other grandfather was a navy pilot in the Pacific. However, he got really drunk the night before his GForce test and was hung over and failed. So he was assigned to be a flight instructor out of Barbours Point Hawaii. He spent the war training other pilots how to land on air craft carriers.

Seems like a pretty good assignment. My wife and I were discussing the best assignments while watching Masters of the Air. Other than staying domestically we came up with ground crew on an air base in England or being in Greenland.
My BIL was stationed in Greenland for one of his deployments. He would disagree as it is next level cold there with nothing to do.

My BIL was stationed in Greenland for one of his deployments. He would disagree as it is next level cold there with nothing to do.
Yeah my neighbor was in Greenland during Korea. He would agree with your BIL

Naval officer in the Bahamas. Was believed to be strategically important and the lone battle, the battle of the Caribbean was a clear allied victory.

With grass now waking back up, I chuckle to myself thinking about 2&2’s post bemoaning the scourge of landscaping trailers whenever I see one driving around.

4 years!?!? wtffff

Average in my field is 9.5

(not including MA)
I know it's a totally different from the STEM field that I'm in, but 9.5 years is absolutely insane to me, that is so long. Do most people at least go straight to their Ph.D. from undergrad, or are they finishing up their degree in their mid-thirties?

I graduated with my Ph.D. when I was 26 after graduating from Wake at 22.

so as someone in the business world my whole career.... someone explain to me the advantages of tenure in academia...to the institutions, not the individuals with tenure

With grass now waking back up, I chuckle to myself thinking about 2&2’s post bemoaning the scourge of landscaping trailers whenever I see one driving around.
Well I got stuck behind one yesterday on the interstate (I-75 though) that was throwing rocks off left and right every bump in the road, so now I'm kind of in that camp too.

so as someone in the business world my whole career.... someone explain to me the advantages of tenure in academia...to the institutions, not the individuals with tenure

Stability. Tenure-track lines are precious. There are dozens of department units throughout the who want one but most only get one every 3-5 years. Hiring cycles take a long time and sometimes end in failed searches. Teaching and research assignments happen a year or so in advance. If someone leaves it could take years to replace them which could impact class offerings, grant funding, and grad student advising.

Last week, one of my colleagues announced she was leaving for another job. I haven’t talked to her about it, but I can safely assume it was because she got fired as a “DEI” administrator due to state politics. She’s only the second tenured or tenure-track faculty member to leave my department for another university in at least 20 years. The other left because her husband had a place bound job elsewhere. Both left for prestigious jobs running a center.

Our department has grown significantly over the last 20 years through various means. The university has become much more prestigious. That growth would not be possible without the stability of tenure.

One advantage to the institution is that having tenure on offer to faculty attracts the best talent. Imagine someone with incredible math and statistical skills. They could make a lot of money on Wall Street or in corporate research, but universities offer them life long stable employment, so that is attractive. Some, not all, math wizards will choose the stability of academia over the uncertain and unstable payday in the corporate world.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back