• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Ready for the reign/rain to end

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you tell them more what you think they want to hear or the truth?

And how close are these two in your work world?
I am well known in my place of employment for not caring about what people want to hear. I'm not rude about it, but I am direct and I provide detailed explanations. I'm grateful to be at a place where I do not worry about that leading to some kind of retribution, though I could see how it might limit my career options for jobs I'm not really interested in.

I am well known in my place of employment for not caring about what people want to hear. I'm not rude about it, but I am direct and I provide detailed explanations. I'm grateful to be at a place where I do not worry about that leading to some kind of retribution, though I could see how it might limit my career options for jobs I'm not really interested in.

Same for me. I work for a company with less than 50 employees and the owners know I will speak my mind…sometimes I will curse. Fortunately, I am normally correct so I get some leeway.

@Strickland33 et al. I am reviewing CV's for an open faculty position that my department is filling and I am 100% convinced that I would never land a job if I graduated in the last 2-3 years. These people are talented and have more papers and citations that I do currently.

@Strickland33 et al. I am reviewing CV's for an open faculty position that my department is filling and I am 100% convinced that I would never land a job if I graduated in the last 2-3 years. These people are talented and have more papers and citations that I do currently.

Also, how many applications did you get?

Not many, 35.

The guy I just reviewed graduated in 2023, already has 370 more citations than I do with 6 fewer papers. Including being lead author on an R package with 671 citations.

That level of production/influence is absurd for a grad student.

That level of production/influence is absurd for a grad student.
It just keeps getting more absurd. Another guy graduated in 2019, 11 years after me, and has 1200 more citations to his work than I do. WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back