• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Ready for the reign/rain to end

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not many, 35.

The guy I just reviewed graduated in 2023, already has 370 more citations than I do with 6 fewer papers. Including being lead author on an R package with 671 citations.
I'm not terribly surprised. The people that get jobs nowadays have to be truly exceptional at all facets of the job. It's absolutely true that many, many phenomenal researchers and teachers will ultimately never get a job in academia, but my thinking is that the ones who do will make the profession more diverse and more thoughtful

Also, only thirty-five applicants is mind-blowing! I'd like to think that's a sign of a healthy field but idk. Jobs in my discipline regularly get 400-600

@birdman is it true that pigeons were a species that had been fully domesticated and they could not survive in the wild, as they had they lost all their survival instincts during the centuries that they lived caged by people.

Is this why they live in cities with people instead of in a forest somewhere? It's OUR fault. And not only did we throw them away, but now we curse them as "winged rats;" casting them as pests.

@birdman is it true that pigeons were a species that had been fully domesticated and they could not survive in the wild, as they had they lost all their survival instincts during the centuries that they lived caged by people.

Is this why they live in cities with people instead of in a forest somewhere? It's OUR fault. And not only did we throw them away, but now we curse them as "winged rats;" casting them as pests.
I admit to knowing very little about the history of domestication of pigeons. But I bet they’d do just fine if humans disappeared off the planet tomorrow.

I am well known in my place of employment for not caring about what people want to hear. I'm not rude about it, but I am direct and I provide detailed explanations. I'm grateful to be at a place where I do not worry about that leading to some kind of retribution, though I could see how it might limit my career options for jobs I'm not really interested in.
My thing is, the issues don't really directly impact me or my department. We have some trickle down, but for the most part we are shielded. And for the leadership at the top, the survey won't change anything. Most all are hoping this person will retire in another year once they get their 5 or 6 years of highest salary for the state retirement plan.

My Gmail inbox is 99% marketing emails from companies so my heart always skips a bear when I see a new one sent from a person. But most of them are still marketing emails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back