• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread Redacted: keep it like a secret

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kate McKinnon on the SNL Mount Rushmore? Are you all out of your damn minds? That's some turrible recency bias on your part. Off the top of my head - Eddie Murphy, Dana Carvey, Phil Hartman, Will Ferrell, Mike Myers, Jon Belushi, Chevy Chase, Bill Murray, Adam Sandler, Chris Farley, Chris Rock, Tina Fey, Dan Akroyd, Amy Poehler, Kenan Thompson, Gilda Radner, Bill Hader, Kristin Wiig, Jon Lovitz, Andy Samberg, Fred Armisan, Jason Sudeikis were all better. McKinnon is good and doesn't even belong in the top 20.

Am I more sexist for feeing obligated to pick a woman (in this case, McKinnon) or for not really seeing her as being worthy of the top 4?

I’ve said this before, but Tina Fey’s SNL run is super overrated. She really only did Update. She was a writer, but I think we’re just discussing performances here. Visions of her as an all time cast member are colored because of 30 Rock, which is amazing.

Kate McKinnon on the SNL Mount Rushmore? Are you all out of your damn minds? That's some turrible recency bias on your part. Off the top of my head - Eddie Murphy, Dana Carvey, Phil Hartman, Will Ferrell, Mike Myers, Jon Belushi, Chevy Chase, Bill Murray, Adam Sandler, Chris Farley, Chris Rock, Tina Fey, Dan Akroyd, Amy Poehler, Kenan Thompson, Gilda Radner, Bill Hader, Kristin Wiig, Jon Lovitz, Andy Samberg, Fred Armisan, Jason Sudeikis were all better. McKinnon is good and doesn't even belong in the top 20.

Based purely on their SNL work?

Only Hartman, Ferrell, Hader, and Thompson were/are arguably better than McKinnon.

Rock was by and large unspectacular on SNL. They didn’t know what to do with him.

Chevy Chase was only on the show for like two seasons.

I’ve said this before, but Tina Fey’s SNL run is super overrated. She really only did Update. She was a writer, but I think we’re just discussing performances here. Visions of her as an all time cast member are colored because of 30 Rock, which is amazing.

She was great on Update though. She did what she did and was great at it. She doesn’t deserve to be on GOAT lists but she was a great.

Based purely on their SNL work?

Only Hartman, Ferrell, Hader, and Thompson were/are arguably better than McKinnon.

Rock was by and large unspectacular on SNL. They didn’t know what to do with him.

Chevy Chase was only on the show for like two seasons.

This is an RJ-like proclamation.

This is an RJ-like proclamation.
This. Kate McKinnon doesnt belong in the same conversation as Eddie Murphy and Dana Carvey. Doing an east german accent in 3 different sketches isn't as impressive aa you think.

McKinnon mostly stands out because she is in an unremarkable cast. Beck Bennett, Cecily Strong, and Kenan are all stronger cast members than her IMO, but they can't do the political impression work to be topically relevant.

I do miss Comedy Central showing SNL (mostly late 80s-early 2000s) around the clock

seriously. this is 100% correct.

Eddie Murphy, Dana Carvey, Phil Hartman, Will Ferrell, Mike Myers, Jon Belushi, Adam Sandler, Chris Farley, Dan Akroyd, Kenan Thompson, Gilda Radner

you can slim the list down to here and i don't know which of these you take off to get her in the top 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back