• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread Redacted: keep it like a secret

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought about something that tripped me out the other day. Seems like everyone has a story where they are on vacation or somewhere totally random and bump into a neighbor/old friend or what have you. I wonder how often we come like 99% of the way to one of those encounters and have no idea. Where you are on vacation in the same store as your neighbor but one row over and you never see each other. Has to be somewhat frequent, right?

i know i've had it happen to me at least once and my parents a few times on family vacations. though places like Disney World and popular beach destinations probably contribute to that frequency.

i would be more blown away if i had run into an acquaintance in Perguia or Chipping Camden

Nice humble brag, ITC. Throw in some #middlemurica destinations then show where the real ballers go.

thanks, ITCwife for going to international conferences with airfare and lodging paid

also

giphy.webp

Yeah. My wife and I haven’t cashed in on those international conferences yet aside from Vancouver.

the 'family' trips are about to halt b/c House ITC is gonna get a little bigger this Dec. and i'm not watching two baby humans all day by myself in a foreign city

Apparently you can go to Europe and leave the kids in the house with a loaded gun and it’s no big deal.

https://nypost.com/2018/04/19/mom-who-left-kids-alone-for-europe-trip-gets-probation/

DES MOINES, Iowa — An Iowa mother who left her four children home alone to travel to Europe has been given two years’ probation.

The Des Moines Register reports Erin Macke was sentenced Thursday in Polk County District Court. She could have faced up to eight years in prison.

I thought about something that tripped me out the other day. Seems like everyone has a story where they are on vacation or somewhere totally random and bump into a neighbor/old friend or what have you. I wonder how often we come like 99% of the way to one of those encounters and have no idea. Where you are on vacation in the same store as your neighbor but one row over and you never see each other. Has to be somewhat frequent, right?

Synchronicity, man.

Cool explanation from a statistician here:

I was at a music festival in Europe and took a photo of a couple Maryland flags walking through the crowd. After we got back, I later found out that it was a guy we used to hang out with in college.

This happens to me quite frequently because the one thing i am really good at in life is recognizing faces. So I'm always on the lookout for someone i know, even in foreign countries. And i usually do run into someone.

I'm sure I've posted about this before, but it often backfires when i recognize someone but can't figure out if they are someone i should know like a colleague or a random bartender who served me a decade ago.

Also, it usually takes the other person by surprise because nobody thinks to look for people they know on vacation. The example above about the grocery store probably doesn't happen to me much because i tend to pay a great deal of attention to the people around me.

Ran into former next door neighbor and his son at Disney World in January. Not a big deal since I see him about once a week anyway.

Ran into a guy from Charlotte and his family at the Adidas store in NYC. I only see him about once every couple of months usually.

Neighbor was at Peja vineyard in Napa Valley same time as my wife and I.

Always running into bros from Charlotte, WFU, and the ATL at The Masters when I drop in. Same with trips to Charleston.

Ran into friends when I was in Australia.

Has anyone run into Townie, BSF, or Cav? That would be quite the coincidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back