• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

chat thread see ya

Status
Not open for further replies.
easily brasky's worst take is ncaab vs. the nba -- college sucks

i'm actually a little annoyed that I care about college hoops again

not gonna go play debbie downer on the sports board rn but are we even gonna have a college bball season this year

Early this season I figured I'd check in on college ball and there were two top 10 matches one afternoon. Both were in the 20s at halftime and completely unwatchable. Just really, really bad stuff.

like half my friends already have but i really truly cannot see myself going back there outside of a worst case scenario situation where you can find me bartending near cedar/lee and doing little fires everywhere cosplay or something

Every so often I think about how nice it would be to buy a killer house for like $225k. But then I remember the winters.

ya that’s the constant push and pull with it if i could realistically snow bird somewhere half the year i would really consider it but then that’s kinda defeating the purpose

not gonna go play debbie downer on the sports board rn but are we even gonna have a college bball season this year

could be behind closed doors typa thing? ncaa gonna give up two years of no march revenue?

Need some advice from the board bros that have kids - did y'all do the push present thing? If so, did you go with jewelry or something different?

My wife and I welcomed our little girl into the world two days ago and I didn't buy a push present - mostly because we talked about it and with the covid-19 stuff going on most stores were closed and I didn't feel like ordering something online. By the time things reopen it may (or may not) be forgotten, but I still will want to get her something after watching everything that she went through.

easily brasky's worst take is ncaab vs. the nba -- college sucks

i'm actually a little annoyed that I care about college hoops again

TBF I don’t watch either, but I’m far more likely to watch college going forward.

The NBA product is just so gross. Shooting guards/wing players are the WR’s of basketball, and that’s all the NBA is now. The actual competition is gone. I don’t respect their athletics choices and I have no desire to watch them play as a mind numbingly terrible soundtrack plays in the background.

Also there is nothing more boring in sports than watching someone shoot an uncontested shot, especially a FT. Id rather watch tennis.

Kind agree with Brasky. College BBall is more exciting because there is way more randomness and fewer guarantees. Plus it's fun to see teams really grow over a reasonably sized season (get outta here with yr 88 games and resting players bullshit). Also NBA refs can't keep up with the players and I will never forgive the NBA for the 2005 finals.

Now you've got players swapping teams every friggin' year so no chance to really develop fan loyalty.

Also, you can't seriously argue the NBA was fun when GSW just ruined the sport for a few years. Beautiful basketball, but c'mon watching the same team just wreck everyone else was boring AF.

I've always been on the college basketball train. Love knowing that, even if only on paper, the athletes still have to go to class. That their product is imperfect and that they make mistakes. I like seeing players and teams improve over the course of the season, and I like the idea that you only get four years. That you're playing for an institution that is bigger than yourself. That you develop loyalty and that there are fans who are deeply committed to the institution for their own reasons.

Some of that has disappeared in recent years, but I still love it

TBF I don’t watch either, but I’m far more likely to watch college going forward.

The NBA product is just so gross. Shooting guards/wing players are the WR’s of basketball, and that’s all the NBA is now. The actual competition is gone. I don’t respect their athletics choices and I have no desire to watch them play as a mind numbingly terrible soundtrack plays in the background.

Also there is nothing more boring in sports than watching someone shoot an uncontested shot, especially a FT. Id rather watch tennis.

I don't watch the product, but the product is gross.

some really bad nba takes here, dudes

I think I'd only hear arguments from professional soccer leagues as a superior product among team sports right now and that's at least 60% due to lack of commercials

college football is also good

i enjoy the nba a lot and i really like college basketball but they’re totally different things it’s like lemon and lime sure they’re both citrus but i am not rushing to squeeze a lemon to make fresh salsa

i enjoy the nba a lot and i really like college basketball but they’re totally different things it’s like lemon and lime sure they’re both citrus but i am not rushing to squeeze a lemon to make fresh salsa

i bet you could make some dope salsa with some lemon juice

Need some advice from the board bros that have kids - did y'all do the push present thing? If so, did you go with jewelry or something different?

My wife and I welcomed our little girl into the world two days ago and I didn't buy a push present - mostly because we talked about it and with the covid-19 stuff going on most stores were closed and I didn't feel like ordering something online. By the time things reopen it may (or may not) be forgotten, but I still will want to get her something after watching everything that she went through.

Push presents are consumerism gone amuck. Buy her something nice for Mother’s Day.

Oh, and congrats. I’m a week ahead of you. Try to get as much sleep as you can, whenever you can.

I bought a necklace with our son’s birthstone for my wife. I went to a local jeweler with a good reputation. The OB/GYN saw the box with the name and made a comment along the lines of “Oh, he went to the right place.”

I like that when she wears it, it reminds us of our first born but she doesn’t wear it very often.

My girlfriend at Wake tried to convince me that NFL players cared more because they were paid and it was their job.

Kind agree with Brasky. College BBall is more exciting because there is way more randomness and fewer guarantees. Plus it's fun to see teams really grow over a reasonably sized season (get outta here with yr 88 games and resting players bullshit). Also NBA refs can't keep up with the players and I will never forgive the NBA for the 2005 finals.

Now you've got players swapping teams every friggin' year so no chance to really develop fan loyalty.

Also, you can't seriously argue the NBA was fun when GSW just ruined the sport for a few years. Beautiful basketball, but c'mon watching the same team just wreck everyone else was boring AF.

There’s more variety in college (very little zone in NBA, so much emphasis on space and pace and 3&D) but again the quality of play is lower.

Player movement and super team building doesn’t bother me. NBA has awesome TV production between TNT and ESPN that ratchets up the drama all the time. It’s fun if you get League Pass and step into different stadiums and see their regional weirdness too.

All of the above brasky and 2009 complaints sound like casual fan complaints which I definitely get. But the NBA officiating is so much better than NCAA officiating, it’s not close. I’ve sprung for great seats at an NBA game and missed out on a superstar who was being rested, which can be a bummer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back