• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread Smidger: RIP, internet acquaintance

For those of you who manage big projects with multiple work streams, etc. how did you learn how to do it efficiently and effectively? Did your organization have status templates to use? Learned from someone before you?

My project management experience is in very small scale projects where I can basically just check in with people one on one and most tasks are dependent on one previous task being completed, so it's a simple workflow with few moving parts. I've been asked to manage a monster and am playing catch up now.

Our company uses Confluence and JIRA, the former for project documentation and the latter for task/project management. I wasn't familiar with either before I started and it has taken me a while to learn them. Looking at other people's work has been helpful. But different things work well for different people.

Putting my number in at Daikaya and the lady goes "you ain't gotta be scared of the tre fo"

Our company uses Confluence and JIRA, the former for project documentation and the latter for task/project management. I wasn't familiar with either before I started and it has taken me a while to learn them. Looking at other people's work has been helpful. But different things work well for different people.

That's what our IT side uses but I don't have access to, so I have to get different work stream leads to give me updates and track it in excel, or maybe Project if they give me that.

For those of you who manage big projects with multiple work streams, etc. how did you learn how to do it efficiently and effectively? Did your organization have status templates to use? Learned from someone before you?

My project management experience is in very small scale projects where I can basically just check in with people one on one and most tasks are dependent on one previous task being completed, so it's a simple workflow with few moving parts. I've been asked to manage a monster and am playing catch up now.

We use wrike (which I love and want to have its babies) and have taken a fair amount of project management professional development, but I think based on all the PMs on our team, you kind of just have to find what works for you and go with it.

Sat in the plane for 3 hours during a lightning storm in CLT but got to the hotel in NOLA to find I somehow booked a ridiculous corner suite on super sale because no one wants to come here in August.

Dunkirk is so three weeks ago.

Btw, Glass Castle is out and the little girl actress is the daughter of a Wake grad here in the Charlotte. Pretty big part. She also did an amazing Bojangles' commercial and was in a recent movie with Robert Redford.

It's quite possible the next generation of Triangle students will have both Brasky and Drew as history teachers.

Brasky, are you teaching in Wake County now?

Sorta. I have been offered and accepted a position, still getting all the paperwork figured out. Hoping to have that sorted out today or tomorrow so I can attend the required new hire orientation on Friday.

Sorta. I have been offered and accepted a position, still getting all the paperwork figured out. Hoping to have that sorted out today or tomorrow so I can attend the required new hire orientation on Friday.

Don't worry I'm sure they'll work it out. They need warm bodies in the classrooms.

3 Day touristy trip to DC with someone who has never been there, what should I do/where should I eat?

Back