• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: The Place for Those with Lax Bosses

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Peloton instructors...Charlotte Weidenach has done a few classes in English and they have been great.

interesting that a peloton costs about as much as an ebike

i did a copycat program when i moved to chicago

an astronomical percentage of the teachers -- including me -- churn out after a year or two so the highest needs kids are getting the least experienced teachers constantly

let's school districts and state governments get stop-gap cheap labor at the expense of creating long-term sustainable eduction by offering a resume booster to kids from elite schools who have no intention of being in the classroom in five years
Oh I totally agree with this. There are huge systemic issues with these types of programs. TFA's culture is super toxic too, imo, when it comes to work expectations. I was in such a high-need area that the organization effectively had little to no authority to push their culture, but you'd catch shitty glimpses of it from the regional staff who did their teaching in places like Nashville, Boston, Charlotte, Denver, etc.

The practical side of it that I've always struggled with is while these programs don't effect the actual systemic changes needed to have a functional public education system, is the alternative of kids in classrooms right now going without any teacher the preferable option? But I acknowledge part of this is probably the result of me trying to rationalize my work in a program that can create positive individual impact while engendering larger social harms.

Oh I totally agree with this. There are huge systemic issues with these types of programs. TFA's culture is super toxic too, imo, when it comes to work expectations. I was in such a high-need area that the organization effectively had little to no authority to push their culture, but you'd catch shitty glimpses of it from the regional staff who did their teaching in places like Nashville, Boston, Charlotte, Denver, etc.

The practical side of it that I've always struggled with is while these programs don't effect the actual systemic changes needed to have a functional public education system, is the alternative of kids in classrooms right now going without any teacher the preferable option? But I acknowledge part of this is probably the result of me trying to rationalize my work in a program that can create positive individual impact while engendering larger social harms.

Thank you for your service.

Was in long line with my kids years ago at Thunder Road and 2 high school kids were in front of us in line giving each other hickies the whole damn time. Back and forth taking turns. Never forget it. Too easy for South Carolinians to come with it being on state line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back