• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Where RJKarl is everyone's professional reference

Status
Not open for further replies.
The “pocket knives are dumb” people are funny. I’d challenge you guys to try it for like a month.

The one I carry is slightly over 3” closed and weighs about 1 oz and is slim enough to wear with dress pants.

I guess 3” + 3” gets you to 6” so congratulations?

Interesting article on the food delivery app game. Sounds like they're all losing money, can California is ending the party by making all these companies treat their folks as employees, not contractors.

https://sf.eater.com/2020/2/20/21145864/doordash-uber-eats-postmates-food-delivery-merger

Seems like the point of food delivery apps wasn’t to provide a sustainable, profitable service. The point was to convince wealthy investors to put their endless resources to “disrupt” a system that has existed for decades. By the time the disruption is shown not to be profitable, some people have made good money and can move on to the next thing.

Seems like the point of food delivery apps wasn’t to provide a sustainable, profitable service. The point was to convince wealthy investors to put their endless resources to “disrupt” a system that has existed for decades. By the time the disruption is shown not to be profitable, some people have made good money and can move on to the next thing.

Or in California, mainly these apps are all designed not to bear the burden of having employees and now that CA has ruled that isn't going to fly, they're all going to go under. Pretty much all these apps, food delivery, uber, etc. are providing services to the wealthy at the expense of the employees. It's personally great for me, but I can see why California is saying to knock it off.

I've been getting some high quality lunches delivered to me a couple times a week the last year. I mean nowadays, you can get whatever you want just delivered to you from pretty much any local or national restaurant in town. It probably is a net positive for the contractor, however, because they're unlikely to be qualified to do much else. It's not like we have manufacturing jobs to give them. But if they can't find work being the wealthy's butlers and chauffeurs anymore, maybe they move away and real estate prices can start normalizing.

They’re probably qualified to do other jobs but those jobs aren’t preferable for whatever reason. Or they’re just between jobs or using food delivery as a second job.

There’s definitely a function to the “gig economy.” Freedom and flexibility. The problem is the CEOs and the investors and such don’t realize that their business model would be sustainable if their workers were actually independent contractors who could make a decent wage and had a strong social safety net so they weren’t teetering on the brink. Instead of trying to duplicate serfdoms, create an economy in which all parties are empowered.

Now, as you introduce these school buses, throw in this wrinkle: you only drive the kids to the nearest school instead of halfway across the county.

i think the wrinkle would be the inverse of that, right? otherwise people would assume you'd use the shortest distance option

The tweet in that thread about UberSkool is particularly cynical.

What's funny is that the liability potentially incurred by transporting all the kids without seat belts on buses would probably the be main sticking point. Like, the thing that should matter the least, now matters the most.

that thread has several people claiming their districts gave up/never had buses which is wild.

the rare amish twitter users

Dude, I still fucking love that (cheetos?) commercial where the dude is riding in a buggy with an Amish guy. "What's it like without the Internet?" "Pretty much the same, your mom just has to mail the pictures instead." Fucking slays me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back