• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Where RJKarl is everyone's professional reference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Townie, ready for a laugh? In SoCal, those bike paths and the other paths near the beach are called boardwalks. They ain't no stinkin' boardwalks.

https://www.ocregister.com/2017/01/18/88-syringes-are-among-mountains-of-beach-trash-collected/

If volunteers can find 53 unwrapped syringes along a small stretch of beach in just four hours, how many more are out there?

That’s a question Tony Soriano, chairman of the Surfrider Foundation’s Huntington Beach/Seal Beach chapter, is asking after volunteers found those at Bolsa Chica State Beach during a Saturday cleanup.

It’s unclear whether they were used or unused. Some syringes had needles; others did not. Some had caps; others didn’t.

At the same time, across the Santa Ana River mouth at Huntington State Beach, other volunteers with Orange County Coastkeeper scooped up trash and collected another 35 syringes.

Orange County has disgusting red tides and filthy water when it rains.

But fortunately everyone has a pool, so you can at least go for a swim in your back yard.

Only about 12,000,000 visit beaches in HB each year, those beaches must really suck.

I've lived here for most of the past thirty-five years and have never seen a needle on the beach.

Not sure when or where you saw "filth", but our beaches don't even let you smoke on them.

i didn't see any needles either but I did see a lot of trash. like a line of it where the high tide stopped. and this was in May.

:noidea:

That many people visiting the beach is a negative, not a positive.

being a beach with sand near a huge population-dense area does not somehow make it better. it's just local.

also catalina island - what was I missing? seemed overrated

Here you guys go again bashing LA. Just ask Megan and Harry; it's the place you want to be.

That many people visiting the beach is a negative, not a positive.

Considering that the beach in our town is at least 12 miles long by about 400-600 yards deep. The density, with the exception of a few events/holidays, is very low.

Considering that the beach in our town is at least 12 miles long by about 400-600 yards deep. The density, with the exception of a few events/holidays, is very low.

I mean, I was just in Santa Monica earlier this year, I thought it was all pretty gross and overcrowded there at least. Would much rather spend time at the beaches in NC (or Chicago, even).

I mean, I was just in Santa Monica earlier this year, I thought it was all pretty gross and overcrowded there at least. Would much rather spend time at the beaches in NC (or Chicago, even).

Santa Monica is way, way more crowded than we are. Imagine a beach that is from Santa Monica almost to LAX along the coast. That's about how much we have.

We do get out of hand on Memorial Day, Labor Day and 4th of July and for the World Surfing Championships, but much of the rest of the year is kinda empty. Just north of us are Sunset Beach and Seal Beach. Those are most often almost empty as few out of state visitors know about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back