• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread - Will Chupe hook it with his cousin? Find out... NEXT

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't bring food on an airplane that will smell up ththe whole cabin. F this family.

I definitely agree with this approach in a mature major market, especially if you value being centrally located in an urban area. However, in areas like the Triangle there is still plenty of room for appreciation with all the ongoing development and continued increase in population. Plus after a decade of living in small, overpriced apartments it’s nice to have some real space and my own yard.

I'd also think in the more rural areas where land cost won't and likely will continue to not be that great, the sheer increase in costs from wages to trump's tariffs could drive up the replacement cost and thus drive up the cost of existing homes that may not have appreciated as much the past few decades. My sister lives in Alabama and I'm considering buying some rental properties there. She was paying $1,300/mo in rent for a house that costs $175k. Times that by 3 and that's $525k, but if I bought something like that in LA my rental income would probably be right around $2k/mo, plus eating huge property taxes and HOA fees.

I'd also think in the more rural areas where land cost won't and likely will continue to not be that great, the sheer increase in costs from wages to trump's tariffs could drive up the replacement cost and thus drive up the cost of existing homes that may not have appreciated as much the past few decades. My sister lives in Alabama and I'm considering buying some rental properties there. She was paying $1,300/mo in rent for a house that costs $175k. Times that by 3 and that's $525k, but if I bought something like that in LA my rental income would probably be right around $2k/mo, plus eating huge property taxes and HOA fees.

Yeah taxes and HOA can have a HUGE impact. One of my friends, who actually ended up in SF, was looking at condos in Boston for awhile and the HOA for lots of these places was like $500+ per month with zero amenities. Tack that onto huge property taxes and your actual cost to own goes through the roof.

Putting it out there for another Harvard job. A cataloging position where knowledge of European Classical Music is preferred. Got that one covered! Maybe I can inherit my aunt's "condo" (really an approx. 500 sq. ft. two room/basically studio with a hell of a parking spot) and live it up in the city. Looking forward to going stale in a cube in the tech services department with a bunch of library dorks and never interacting with undergrads again.

Who here still lives in Winston? Wifey just got offered a solid job there, so I think we're moving back this summer.

I've actually thought a bit about moving back. Maybe if I could get a gig at School of the Arts. My stepbrother and his wife and kid moved from San Francisco in spring of last year and seem to be loving it.

I've actually thought a bit about moving back. Maybe if I could get a gig at School of the Arts. My stepbrother and his wife and kid moved from San Francisco in spring of last year and seem to be loving it.

Bruh you should do it. I need someone to watch soccer with. Although I guess we could do that now. Any good soccer watching spots in CH?

I usually only watch at the Bungalow or on my phone at Smack Tea Hut. There aren't any dedicated places in CH - I've gone to Hickory Tavern and Tyler's before - but sometimes a buddy of mine goes to Bull McCabe's in Durham. I've watched at London Bridge in Raleigh before (a few years ago), but I think they're a Liverpool bar.

Washington Park and surrounding area near NCSA is pretty cool and convenient, and you can still find great house deals there. I don't have much interest in buying, but some of them have even got me a little curious.

Biff, my former stomping ground the Crunk has opened a new Charlotte location in Elizabeth. The Charlotte Crunk.

I usually only watch at the Bungalow or on my phone at Smack Tea Hut. There aren't any dedicated places in CH - I've gone to Hickory Tavern and Tyler's before - but sometimes a buddy of mine goes to Bull McCabe's in Durham. I've watched at London Bridge in Raleigh before (a few years ago), but I think they're a Liverpool bar.

Nice - Bull McCabes is a good spot.

Biff, my former stomping ground the Crunk has opened a new Charlotte location in Elizabeth. The Charlotte Crunk.

Man I’m really jealous of The Crunkleton. One thing Durham lacks is a truly GREAT cocktail bar.

Hey, I moved back from SF Summer of last year! I should get together w/Chupes stepbrother and commiserate about the high cost of living and tech bros. Move back Chupe! An NCSA gig would be sweet.

I'm in Ardmore about half a mile from the best bottle shop in town but I love the Washington Park area. Great barber shop (seriously my favorite barber shop in any city I've lived in) right next to Slappys and a cool little beer garden means I always plan my haircuts around lunch or after work. Otherwise I still spend most of my time brewery hopping downtown and/or West End.

I actually watched the Merseyside Derby at Bull McCabes with a couple of my internet Everton friends. It is a good spot.

Last weekend we started looking at houses in Winston to buy. Found a freaking awesome house off Ransom (which is off Polo and Reynolda) which was newer built and $125K and the perfect size for us right now. Of course it was already under contract, after being on the market for 2 days.

If it was still available we were gonna drive to Winston that day and purchase it on the spot.

I think our plan is to meet with the wife's family realtor when were in Winston for the holidays.

Nice. I went to preschool at St. Anne's, which is on Fairlawn off of Ransom. Fond memories. Got super fucked up at a house party on Ransom right out of college. Good times.

I actually watched the Merseyside Derby at Bull McCabes with a couple of my internet Everton friends. It is a good spot.

Last weekend we started looking at houses in Winston to buy. Found a freaking awesome house off Ransom (which is off Polo and Reynolda) which was newer built and $125K and the perfect size for us right now. Of course it was already under contract, after being on the market for 2 days.

If it was still available we were gonna drive to Winston that day and purchase it on the spot.

I think our plan is to meet with the wife's family realtor when were in Winston for the holidays.

That's nuts that it went so fast. Spring/Summer in Ardmore right after residency placement is a nightmare (and coincidentally when we were trying to buy from across the country). We had to make a few same-day offers. Thankfully my family within 90 minutes was flexible enough to help out at the drop of a dime. I feel like this time of year is much slower, so hopefully ya'll can find something before it heats up again.

Seen some good little houses around there, too. Anywhere off of Broad between downtown and Silas Creek/40 have some deals. Guessing they'll start to push into Sunnyside soon enough if they haven't already. And by "they" I mean the whites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back