• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread - Will Chupe hook it with his cousin? Find out... NEXT

Status
Not open for further replies.
My folks first met at a mutual friend's on Gloria Ave in the Wash Park/Arcadia area, and connected over their motorcycles or something, so my spiritual roots are clearly there.

Just took a look at Winston-Salem real estate, holy shit is it cheap, really does put in perspective moving out of a big city, and that’s with Atlanta being what they consider “affordable”

Just took a look at Winston-Salem real estate, holy shit is it cheap, really does put in perspective moving out of a big city, and that’s with Atlanta being what they consider “affordable”

Seriously. You can buy a newish built house in Winston for $125k? That’s insanity

How often do you hit up West Salem public house? Love that joint when the weather is nice

Not as often as we should with it literally down the street. It's a solid spot though. Cannot wait for the Green Street Bridge replacement as part of the B40 project also.

as plama pointed out somewhere, with the rising cost of materials and labor, you can't even build a house for $125k any more, much less have a developer/builder sell a new house for that much

The cost of living in Asheville is skyrocketing but much cheaper than other big cities, and unfortunately the wages for many aren't rising to meet the cost of living. We bought a decently nice new house just outside the city and have a nice lot and good size for the same price as an older, much crappier house close to downtown (and none of those have garages). but we paid probably 100-150k more than if we bought the same house in Winston.

It's also cool when you and your wife are supposed to be paid today, notice the paychecks didn't deposit, try calling your bank only to have the call drop 3x then go on Twitter to see that they're having deposit and phone issues today. Way to let us know. I'm sure they just turned off the phones with so many people calling.

The cost of living in Asheville is skyrocketing but much cheaper than other big cities, and unfortunately the wages for many aren't rising to meet the cost of living. We bought a decently nice new house just outside the city and have a nice lot and good size for the same price as an older, much crappier house close to downtown (and none of those have garages). but we paid probably 100-150k more than if we bought the same house in Winston.

Asheville is crazy expensive to get in a good neighborhood/spot. CookoutDeac just got himself a lot of land in West Asheville (I think) and they are planning to build in 3-5 years.

It's also cool when you and your wife are supposed to be paid today, notice the paychecks didn't deposit, try calling your bank only to have the call drop 3x then go on Twitter to see that they're having deposit and phone issues today. Way to let us know. I'm sure they just turned off the phones with so many people calling.

Putting the jesus fucking christ back in Christmas

Will be probably getting my own place next summer. Even if you can afford it reasonably well, it's just so hard to justify in my head spending $2K+ a month on housing. Would almost prefer to live in a bit grittier hood and save the $500 - $600 a month. I don't even want to think about buying a house in the NYC area. Ugh.

Asheville is crazy expensive to get in a good neighborhood/spot. CookoutDeac just got himself a lot of land in West Asheville (I think) and they are planning to build in 3-5 years.

yeah we're out in Leicester but not too far outside the city limits (no city taxes doe) and they're building 4 total houses on our little street. ours is the first, the one next to use is for sale and they're finishing up the 3rd (much bigger than ours) and will start the 4th soon. a lot of the surrounding homes you pass are either mobile homes or manufactured or farms but this little neighborhood and another nearby one are changing the tenor of the area. got a nice mountain view, too.

you can if you don't demand .5 acre of land, 4 beds, 3 baths and a finished basement

we're working on a multifamily development of 525 square foot one-bedrooms in rural Ohio outside of Cincinnati and looking at ~$130k per unit, which doesn't take into account land costs

we do have to pay Davis-Bacon wages and the costs include the community space, but the point remains, and that gets economies of scale at 56 units

steel prices are way up with the trade war; hurricanes have really hurt the lumber market; immigration policy, the 2008 crash, and low unemployment have dried out the labor market -- construction is expensive

yeah we're out in Leicester but not too far outside the city limits (no city taxes doe) and they're building 4 total houses on our little street. ours is the first, the one next to use is for sale and they're finishing up the 3rd (much bigger than ours) and will start the 4th soon. a lot of the surrounding homes you pass are either mobile homes or manufactured or farms but this little neighborhood and another nearby one are changing the tenor of the area. got a nice mountain view, too.

Do you ever go to Weaverville? I really enjoy the downtown. Nice food choices for a town that size and 10 minutes to downtown Asheville. Those are some home prices I can get behind.

we're working on a multifamily development of 525 square foot one-bedrooms in rural Ohio outside of Cincinnati and looking at ~$130k per unit, which doesn't take into account land costs

we do have to pay Davis-Bacon wages and the costs include the community space, but the point remains, and that gets economies of scale at 56 units

steel prices are way up with the trade war; hurricanes have really hurt the lumber market; immigration policy, the 2008 crash, and low unemployment have dried out the labor market -- construction is expensive

We're having a lot of projects spend millions of dollars on architectural drawings, and then once they take them out to bid the projects stall, as all the contractors are stretched too thin and labor costs are so high that the prices are just way more expensive than what was anticipated 18-24 months ago when they started, and they're having trouble getting the financing/equity.

Do you ever go to Weaverville? I really enjoy the downtown. Nice food choices for a town that size and 10 minutes to downtown Asheville. Those are some home prices I can get behind.

I've been a few times. My wife works a bit north of there so we looked in the area but never found anything, though the prices were generally pretty good. The Fletcher area offers good value for the money, but would have made her commute too long and is a bit far to downtown. We can get downtown from our house in about 10-15 minutes.

We're having a lot of projects spend millions of dollars on architectural drawings, and then once they take them out to bid the projects stall, as all the contractors are stretched too thin and labor costs are so high that the prices are just way more expensive than what was anticipated 18-24 months ago when they started, and they're having trouble getting the financing/equity.

we stopped doing design-bid with GCs, doing a design-build process to contain costs from the jump

makes for some boring architecture though

Seriously. You can buy a newish built house in Winston for $125k? That’s insanity

I got curious yesterday and went on Redfin; the split-level we first lived as kids in most recently sold for $506,000. Bonkers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back