• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread XLIII - IIILX daerhT tahC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using a touch screen smart phone for over 2 years now and still have not yet sent a wrong text to the wrong person.

I've also managed to avoid any major auto correct mishaps.

Yeah, I'm still doing ok, but every time I send something I check teh recipient about 23493 times (even on boring texts)

Anyone see the facebook status of the shooter in the Ohio HS shootings today? Basically typical stuff, as far as high school shooters go -- calling out everyone he knows as a sinner, phony, etc, and saying he'll kill them all.

It certainly didn't seem like the crazed ramblings of a typical shooter though. It was basically a poem (not structured as such, but it's clear the kid intended it to read like poetry). And, frankly, it's not bad. For a 17 year old, he really had talent with words.

I feel sick. Hadn't discussed it previously but now that it's over, I'm okay with it. Need to vent somewhere.

I greatly enjoy my job and everything about it right now. However, I was recently approached by a recruiter to come in and interview for a new position. I interviewed for that company today and did very well with the 2 case interviews and the behavioral in the morning. I then was asked to stay for one final case interview. It was extremely difficult but something that I think I could have potentially solved. Because of my performance in this final case interview, I am not expecting to receive the offer.

Now my mind starts f'ing with me. From very reliable information, I would have been given a signing bonus of around $10k and the pay would have been an increase in my salary by about 20%. As well, it would have put me on a great path to go to a top business school due to their track record and relationships. In my mind, I can now attribute not attaining all this due to one math problem/case interview. I would say my chances of getting the job are around 5% so crazy to think that all of this ($$$ + future goals) comes down to one math problem.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Thanks for allowing me to vent.

yeahhhhh, when everything boils down I feel like lots of life situations are like that. Something seemingly trivial ends up dictating a huge chunk of our lives.

article-2107068-11F00D04000005DC-61_634x683.jpg

lbe - Wife and I are going to be in Portland for a week in March. We have reservations at Beast (which I'm really looking forward to), but other than that don't know anything. We're staying in the downtown/waterfront area. Any recomendations for things to do? She'll be working nearby during the day and I'm just tagging along and will work from the hotel or wherever, but I'll be flexible to walk around if there's anything I should see.

Nonny... you gotta keep on keeping on. I've been in the same boat a couple times.

Sucks Nonny, but keep the faith bro.
Cheers, bro.

yeahhhhh, when everything boils down I feel like lots of life situations are like that. Something seemingly trivial ends up dictating a huge chunk of our lives.
Very true. This just felt like one of those situations where I had control of the situation. But maybe not.

Nonny... you gotta keep on keeping on. I've been in the same boat a couple times.
Yeah, one of those things I didn't even think I wanted until I went through the process.

I feel sick. Hadn't discussed it previously but now that it's over, I'm okay with it. Need to vent somewhere.

I greatly enjoy my job and everything about it right now. However, I was recently approached by a recruiter to come in and interview for a new position. I interviewed for that company today and did very well with the 2 case interviews and the behavioral in the morning. I then was asked to stay for one final case interview. It was extremely difficult but something that I think I could have potentially solved. Because of my performance in this final case interview, I am not expecting to receive the offer.

Now my mind starts f'ing with me. From very reliable information, I would have been given a signing bonus of around $10k and the pay would have been an increase in my salary by about 20%. As well, it would have put me on a great path to go to a top business school due to their track record and relationships. In my mind, I can now attribute not attaining all this due to one math problem/case interview. I would say my chances of getting the job are around 5% so crazy to think that all of this ($$$ + future goals) comes down to one math problem.

Getting rejected from a job you really want sucks. But if you already have a job that is pretty good, it is kind of hard to feel too bad. However, if you are a competitive jackass like me in real life, getting rejected from anything is a total stab wound. So keep your head up Nonny, keep pwning ur job, rape the GMAT, and you won't to worry about the b-school connections too much.

Lol the Sprint board overruled its CEO hours before they were supposed to finalize an $8B deal to buy MetroPCS. Time for that guy to tighten up his resume. Perhaps buckets can assist?

What was the question?

eta: this is for wfudkn

Do you have the ability to head out of the city for a day? Go to REI, rent some snowshoes, and head out to Trillium Lake. It's gorgeous with the snow... I can give better directions if you want to do that.
Otherwise, around town there's Powell's bookstore, various breweries (Rogue, especially), the zoo, Pittock Mansion (you have to pay to tour, but if it's a clear day the view is worth it)... I'll ask around for other 'must eat' places. One of my favorites is Little Big Burger, which is conveniently near Powell's, so you could hit those up in succession.

I'll come back to this and edit later tonight when I have more time to think of things.
I can say most definitely; bring a rain jacket and trust that it's waterPROOF.

Last edited:
There's an REI like a block from my work, is it a big chain?

...yes

Technically it's a big co-op (largest in N. America), but it has locations all over the country. If you do anything outside, or if you wear shoes or a jacket ever, it probably sells something you use on a daily basis.
They also rent equipment (ie: snowshoes, tents, packs, XC skis at some places, kayaks, etc).

eta: this is for wfudkn

Do you have the ability to head out of the city for a day? Go to REI, rent some snowshoes, and head out to Trillium Lake. It's gorgeous with the snow... I can give better directions if you want to do that.
Otherwise, around town there's Powell's bookstore, various breweries (Rogue, especially), the zoo, Pittock Mansion (you have to pay to tour, but if it's a clear day the view is worth it)... I'll ask around for other 'must eat' places. One of my favorites is Little Big Burger, which is conveniently near Powell's, so you could hit those up in succession.

I'll come back to this and edit later tonight when I have more time to think of things.
I can say most definitely; bring a rain jacket and trust that it's waterPROOF.

Thanks! We'll have some time over the second weekend. We're staying at some inn in wine country for two nights, but I would love to get some hiking in if we can. Wife is from Maine, so she loves snowshoeing. So that might be a good call. And I've got the perfect REI rain gear to bring along.

We're not supposed to provide the specifics to anyone beyond the interview but a vague summary is below. Plus, I'm anonymous and not getting the job so it's cool.

2 methods of receiving applications. One has greater rate of becoming an account, though it takes longer to process that app. Only accounts = $$$. First find which is most profitable per hour, then based off x amount of applications. Choice 1 was more profitable by hour, choice 2 was more profitable based off total applications. That was all easy. Then, assuming intake of applications fluctuates, and you can only use one method or the other, find at what point it is optimal to use each. Bit more difficult but still solvable when finding one maximum profit and calculating a break even against that max profit for the other. The final aspect is to then find the optimal combination of the two methods.

As it is a case interview, you are also not simply given information, but have to ask the right questions to attain the relevant data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back