• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Dusting this thread off. Hendricks looks fine, Darvish looks shaky, bullpen looks good outside of Cotton. Kipnis made the team, assume he will be opening day 2B. They tested Nico in CF last night, I guess the thought is another super sub. Kimbrel looks weird and still throws 95 MPH meatballs.

Assuming opening day team will be Willy / Riz / Kip / Baez / KB / Schwarbs / Happ / Heyward. Souza has looked ok and appears he and Almora are both going to be options against lefty starters. Descalso appears to be making the team which is a wasted spot - along with Nico and Boat in the IF.

Assuming Cubs are going to be able to hit, pitching is going to be the issue. Hendricks, Darvish and Lester and locked in. Lester has to turn into a crafty veteran at this point to get anything going, has looked very hittable all off season. Quintana won't be back until at least mid-season. Last two spots are Mills and Chatwood. Woof. We don't even have any real long relief behind them, except Cotton, who might not make the team. Bullpen/Middle relief may be ok with Ryan, Wick, Wieck, Jeffress and Underwood - looking like Sadler, Tepera and Winkler may make the team too, but haven't heard much about them.

Should be a decent run in the Central - lot of decent teams, nothing great. Cards, Brewers, Red all should have a shot.

Agree mostly. Also the White Sox aren’t a slouch team so Cubs may still come out on the up-and-up

Agree mostly. Also the White Sox aren’t a slouch team so Cubs may still come out on the up-and-up

Agree on the Sox, but I am not putting much stock in the outcomes of those games - but it showed a little here and there. Kip hitting well would really help this team. Needed Cotton to be a decent bullpen piece with most of the starters not fully stretched out, but he got wrecked, and it wasn't seeing eye singles, everything was hit hard. Darvish struggled with the slam to Eloy, but his pitches looked ok, I am not that worried about him. Bullpen looked pretty decent, but were mainly pitching against second string guys. Jeffress would be a real steal if he can return to form - sounds like his fastball has lost a couple MPHs but his secondary pitches are sharp.

I got a bad feeling about this season. Same cast of characters that have regressed for two years. The major difference is a rookie manager and a short season that limits the learning curve. Not good.

We know who will be out in the field and the depth behind them. I'm hoping Hoerner can duplicate his showing last September and supply some spark and enthusiasm, especially early. If the bats start cold this team could be out of it early.

Three legit starters won't cut it. The arms in the bullpen are younger and throw harder. Who knows if they are better? Kimbrel could make a difference. If (big if) he returns to form, he would be an enormous boost to the pen and the team.

It's all about the start this year. If these guys come out hot, they could stay hot and roll to and through the post season. The talent is there, but they need immediate leaders. If they stumble at the start, it could be an early fold.

This is a real fear. With only 2 legit starters, even in 60 games, could easily get out of hand. I think they are really going to miss Castellanos in the lineup, which is why they need Kip to be a steadying force. Q coming back midseason should help.

With a bunch of money coming off next year, hoping the can extend 2 of 3 core guys (maybe even all 3?). Lester, Q, Chatwood and Descalso is like $50 million, which should be enough to get Baez and Riz extended, with enough left to look at Willy or Schwarbs a year early, depending on the DH thing. I don't see a real way that they can keep both Baez and Bryant, unless they get creative - JHey and Yu and Kimbrel are going to make up $60 mill a year for the next 2 years after this one with Yu being the only one meeting his salary (most likely). They need to find pitching somewhere - Yu and Hendricks are our best two pitchers and locked up, Mills is likely not the answer for another spot - really need one or two of these prospects to pan out among Marquez, Franklin, Abbot, Thompson, Miller or someone surprising. Best guess is Cubs figure out who they can extend (Baez), trade Bryant and maybe Schwarbs in the offseason or midseason for something(s) controllable.

I got a bad feeling about this season. Same cast of characters that have regressed for two years. The major difference is a rookie manager and a short season that limits the learning curve. Not good.

We know who will be out in the field and the depth behind them. I'm hoping Hoerner can duplicate his showing last September and supply some spark and enthusiasm, especially early. If the bats start cold this team could be out of it early.

Three legit starters won't cut it. The arms in the bullpen are younger and throw harder. Who knows if they are better? Kimbrel could make a difference. If (big if) he returns to form, he would be an enormous boost to the pen and the team.

It's all about the start this year. If these guys come out hot, they could stay hot and roll to and through the post season. The talent is there, but they need immediate leaders. If they stumble at the start, it could be an early fold.

You may very well be right. This team needs a more significant makeover than Theo was able to accomplish this off-season.

You may very well be right. This team needs a more significant makeover than Theo was able to accomplish this off-season.

Well, it depends. If Ian Happ is the same guy during this 60 game stretch as he was last year, the offense should be fine - same with Scwarbs last 60 games. They would have top 10 offensive players at C, 1B, SS, 3B, LF and CF - not sure any team can match that. And with JHey not having the task of leading off, this offense could be one of the best they have had. But, needing to average like 7 runs a game is not a recipe for winning.

Well, it depends. If Ian Happ is the same guy during this 60 game stretch as he was last year, the offense should be fine - same with Scwarbs last 60 games. They would have top 10 offensive players at C, 1B, SS, 3B, LF and CF - not sure any team can match that. And with JHey not having the task of leading off, this offense could be one of the best they have had. But, needing to average like 7 runs a game is not a recipe for winning.

Happ finally reaching his potential would be huge. Is he going to lead off?? Agree also that pitching is the bigger concern.

Who plays left if the NL goes DH?

Cubs are gonna face Woodruff in the opener. Haven't seen a lineup, but with a righty, assume that means Kip at 2nd, JHey in RF. Schwarbs will either be LF or DH - guessing LF and they let Caratini DH.

Happ finally reaching his potential would be huge. Is he going to lead off?? Agree also that pitching is the bigger concern.

Who plays left if the NL goes DH?

Forgot to answer on DH, but against lefties, you might see Almora in CF, bump Happ to LF and Souza as DH. Against righties, assume Schwarbs will be starting most games unless AA or Nico or Souza get hot early. Schwarbs is a bit of a liability tracking the ball, but still has one of the strongest arms in the league out there. I would assume they will take his bad defense and good offense over whatever anyone else will bring until we see how things shake out. Almora gives us the best defensive team, but he has been woeful against righties. If Souza can recapture his power stroke and stay healthy, assume he gets some run as a perma-DH, because he isn't any better out there than Schwarbs.

^good analysis. Bryant leading off and Rizzo second? Two of the Cubs’ top three rbi guys at the top of the order, neither with much speed ( although both admittedly good base runners)?

^good analysis. Bryant leading off and Rizzo second? Two of the Cubs’ top three rbi guys at the top of the order, neither with much speed ( although both admittedly good base runners)?

Well, I mean if Baez and Contreras are 3/4, I am not that worried about bringing those dudes home.

Descalso is "out" with an injury on the 45 day DL, which basically ends his season. He is replaced on the roster with Josh Phegley, #3 catcher. He was the A's starter for most of the season last year - he has some gap power, but is more a defensive catcher and a liability at the plate (I mean, not Descalso bad or anything though).

Brothers, Norwood and Maples make the cut in the pen. Norwood has a 100 MPH fastball and a decent curve, but command has been his issue. Maples has probably the best stuff in all of the Cubs organization, but he is just as likely to send one to the backstop as he is to get a strikeout. Gonna be interesting to see how this works with the 3 batter minimum. He faced 4 batters last night, went single, passed ball, strikeout, passed ball, walk, wild pitch, strikeout. Its gonna be hold your breath time when he pitches. Brothers had a couple good years in Colorado half a decade ago, I don't think he's got much left, but we will see - he's been in camp before, the players know him.

No real surprises on the 30 man roster. I'm glad Norwood, Underwood and Maples made the cut. They have been on the Iowa shuttle for 2-3 years and have decent-good stuff. Let's see if they can step up. All of the new guys in the pen have had their moments elsewhere. We'll know more in time.

Phegley gives Ross more options for Contreras and Caratini. He's accumulated 77 RBI's in 444 PA's over the past two years in Oakland, so he knows how to contribute to the offense. Tough luck for Descalso.

Time to play ball.

No real surprises on the 30 man roster. I'm glad Norwood, Underwood and Maples made the cut. They have been on the Iowa shuttle for 2-3 years and have decent-good stuff. Let's see if they can step up. All of the new guys in the pen have had their moments elsewhere. We'll know more in time.

Phegley gives Ross more options for Contreras and Caratini. He's accumulated 77 RBI's in 444 PA's over the past two years in Oakland, so he knows how to contribute to the offense. Tough luck for Descalso.

Time to play ball.

The plan is for Caratini to be Darvish's personal catcher, giving Willy defensive duties off every 5th game regardless. Would assume he DHs those games. Phegley has pretty decent numbers against lefties, small sample size though, but there may be some value in late game switches from Caratini once Darvish is done. And without a minor league system, having a catcher that knows the team if one was to get hurt is almost a requirement.

Pretty sure Descalso is a healthy scratch - and they found a way to keep him around because they like him instead of cutting him.

After 4+ years and thousands of comments, I figured you knew my comment regarding Descalso was made with tongue firmly in cheek. Apparently he makes a contribution in the clubhouse and the dugout.

Maddon felt Mills was ready for a starting role. He has his opportunity now. I'll laugh if he takes his Hendricks level stuff and duplicates Hendricks level production. Rooting for him.

After 4+ years and thousands of comments, I figured you knew my comment regarding Descalso was made with tongue firmly in cheek. Apparently he makes a contribution in the clubhouse and the dugout.

Maddon felt Mills was ready for a starting role. He has his opportunity now. I'll laugh if he takes his Hendricks level stuff and duplicates Hendricks level production. Rooting for him.

No worries, was just clarifying - air quotes don't always translate.

Mills makes 4 righties in the rotation and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he sticks throughout the whole shortened season and its Chatwood that moves to the LR role once Q is healthy or whatever with his finger. Mills can at least keep the ball on the ground, give our defense a chance. Granted, the defense has gotten steadily worse over the last 3 years, so who knows.

Cubs sign Derek Dietrich. Interesting signing, hes a super utility guy that can kill righties. Not sure where fits on this team unless they want to hold Hoerner back for a year.

Back