• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Hendricks awarded NL Player of the Week. Made a three hit,complete game shutout look easy. Almora awarded MLB Play of the Week for yesterday's catch. Made it look easy as well, especially with his immediate throw attempting to double up the runner.

Bote and Souza with RBI hits in the first to give the team a four run lead.

Edit. Bryant, Rizzo and Contreras have been HBP in the first two innings. Rizzo (2), Contreras and Baez were hit in the Brewer series. Some payback by a Cub reliever could be forthcoming unless Lester is waiting for the top of the Reds line up.

Last edited:
I wonder if Kimbrel has ever walked 4 in an inning before, that seems like a very rare occurrence for a closer, much less one of his caliber.

The bullpen line. 4 IP, 6 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 8 BB, 2 HBP, 6 K, 2 WP. Ugly, ugly, ugly.

Tip of the hat to Jeffress for saving the win.

Wick looked fine. Jeffress looked fine. Tapera can stay. The rest can be replaced by anyone - none of them could come close to the zone. Talk about rust all you want, but you have to throw strikes. Winkler looks like a 5 ERA pitcher, hope we dont give him a lot of chances - got lucky on a check swing out of the zone.

Not sure what to do with Kimbrel. He was sitting 96-97, which is fine, and he wasn't missing by much. But, he pitched to 6 batters, and they only swung the bat 3 times against him and only once with less than 2 strikes. Thats insane. His curve is so erratic and if he can't get people to swing and miss on that, he is going to have a hard time getting anyone out.

Tepera didnt look terrible - i think that homer to Galvis was unlucky. Sadler looked good until the homer too. Think they can both work out.

Also, Javy.

I like me some David Bote. Never considered for a starting position. Back of the line to get a start. No complaints, happy to be in the bigs. Give him an opportunity he delivers. Kipnis looks like a solid piece and is Hoerner's mentor, stressing they are the answer at 2B. Hoerner plays like the real deal. Souza's just happy to play again. Almora is just waiting. His glove will get him on the field for most games. If Happ falters, Almora best be ready. If he hits, he'll play.

Maddon might be right. Mills might be a legit SP. I'd like two effective starters that can't throw hard enough to break 90 but pitch well enough to win consistently. Throw backs.

I like me some David Bote. Never considered for a starting position. Back of the line to get a start. No complaints, happy to be in the bigs. Give him an opportunity he delivers. Kipnis looks like a solid piece and is Hoerner's mentor, stressing they are the answer at 2B. Hoerner plays like the real deal. Souza's just happy to play again. Almora is just waiting. His glove will get him on the field for most games. If Happ falters, Almora best be ready. If he hits, he'll play.

Maddon might be right. Mills might be a legit SP. I'd like two effective starters that can't throw hard enough to break 90 but pitch well enough to win consistently. Throw backs.

Crafty veteran Jon Lester would make 3 of those. Assuming they can all stay effective. Mills curve has always looked cool because it has the 12-6 break and he has a mix of pitches, but his stuff is average and he gives up a bunch of HRs. I still think he can make it as a back of the rotation starter for the next few years, but would be more of an innings eater.

Saw KB was injured and got worried, but I am guessing it was an intentional rest day to try to get him back on track.

Saw KB was injured and got worried, but I am guessing it was an intentional rest day to try to get him back on track.

Precautionary measure - apparently KB's experiencing some discomfort in his elbow on the follow-through of his swing. Listed as day-to-day, so hopefully he doesn't miss much time.

Cubs signed Cody Allen to a minor league deal. Guess it can't hurt, but he has been really bad the last couple of years - just looking at his Fangraphs page, he has lost 3 MPH on his fastball and throws his curve almost 50% of the time. Assume he might have had a chance to pitch with the Cubs this year if rosters stay at 30, but as they shrink, don't really see where he can be any better than the garbage we already have.

Colin Rea called up from South Bend to provide long relief. Dillion Maples demoted to South Bend. Ross informed Maples he needs to trust the slider and change in obvious fastball counts. Two fastballs in those counts resulted in home runs. File in the how to get a ticket to the minors envelope.

Allen's worth a chance. He had 5+ years of success.

Colin Rea called up from South Bend to provide long relief. Dillion Maples demoted to South Bend. Ross informed Maples he needs to trust the slider and change in obvious fastball counts. Two fastballs in those counts resulted in home runs. File in the how to get a ticket to the minors envelope.

Allen's worth a chance. He had 5+ years of success.

Good info. Where did you see the Ross comments on Maples?

He just makes it unnecessarily stressful. That is not a good quality for a “closer”

When he cant throw his curve for a strike he is easy. His fastball mph is ok and has a bit of that trailing spin, but if everyone knows what's coming, it's easy to hit. He threw the same pitch, same spot back to back to Bell.

Good info. Where did you see the Ross comments on Maples?

Cubs.com.

Kimbrel didn't throw anything for strikes last outing. First step is to throw the fastball for strikes. He accomplished that at 97 mph. The heart of any batting order will make that goal look and sound like BP. Like tonight. He got three outs and the Cubs won. I imagine his next appearance will have a similar goal with an emphasis on fastball location at the bottom of the zone. Kimbrel is broken and without confidence. I expect Ross to use him like tonight, with a lead large enough for mistakes and with Jeffress in reserve. Implement a step by step program. The stuff is there. Command, control and confidence is lacking. He finished the game with a win. He threw strikes. Gotta start somewhere.

Last edited:
The ball speeds leaving the bat against Kimbrel last night was disturbing (alongside the obvious homers). Not great.

Back