• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Quality response to the last 13 games and all the resulting chatter. Now six games on the road against two of the top three NL teams with a 1.5 game WC lead.

Why I am a Cubs fan? Dad’s family is from there and I went to my first in person Cubs game in 1976 at age 10. Hooked ever since thanks to that experience and WGN in the 1980s.

Last edited:
Yeah WGN for me, getting home from school and watching the afternoon Wrigley games was choice. Also were a lot of Cubs fans growing up in the QC for that reason, and a lot of my buds growing up had Chitown ties.

Gonna be a fun last week. Tiebreaker situation really blows but I have some faith in the Pirates and Mets to not make it super easy on Miami, and nice the 'stros will probably be playing for something vs 'zona

Yeah, since we can't tie with Arizona or the Marlins it makes it a bit more difficult.

Probably need to go 4-2 at least. Maybe the Braves and Brewers will be resting guys before the playoffs.

One week to go.

Three teams. Two playoff spots.

D'Backs: 82-73 - @NYY for 1, @ White Sox for 3, Astros for 3; hold the tiebreaker over the Cubs; Fangraphs playoff % 84.6%
Cubs: 82-74 - @ Braves for 3, @ Brewers for 3; Fangraphs playoff % 56.5%
Marlins 81-75 - @ Mets for 3, @ Pirates for 3: hold the tiebreaker against both the D-Backs and the Cubs; Fangraphs playoff % 51.9%

The Reds, Padres and Giants are technically still alive, but have been essentially eliminated

If the season ended today, the NL Playoffs matchups:

BYEs: #1 Braves and#2 Dodgers (both have major issues with pitching)
WC Series:
#5 D'Backs v. #4 Philles
#6 Cubs v. #3 Brewers

One week to go.

Three teams. Two playoff spots.

D'Backs: 82-73 - @NYY for 1, @ White Sox for 3, Astros for 3; hold the tiebreaker over the Cubs; Fangraphs playoff % 84.6%
Cubs: 82-74 - @ Braves for 3, @ Brewers for 3; Fangraphs playoff % 56.5%
Marlins 81-75 - @ Mets for 3, @ Pirates for 3: hold the tiebreaker against both the D-Backs and the Cubs; Fangraphs playoff % 51.9%

The Reds, Padres and Giants are technically still alive, but have been essentially eliminated

If the season ended today, the NL Playoffs matchups:

BYEs: #1 Braves and#2 Dodgers (both have major issues with pitching)
WC Series:
#5 D'Backs v. #4 Philles
#6 Cubs v. #3 Brewers
Fascinating that the stats say all three teams have greater than a 50% chance of making the post season. I get why, but still interesting.

On the face of it, the Cubs have the far tougher schedule, but the Cubs will miss Strider (pitched last night), Fried went on the DL and Morton is hurt. Not directly related to the Cubs, teams rarely bash their way to a World Series. Pitching rules the post-season, and the Braves and the Dodgers both have banged up staffs. Baseball always has the most random post-season, and it looks like chaos again. Just get in, and you have a chance.

On the face of it, the Cubs have the far tougher schedule, but the Cubs will miss Strider (pitched last night), Fried went on the DL and Morton is hurt. Not directly related to the Cubs, teams rarely bash their way to a World Series. Pitching rules the post-season, and the Braves and the Dodgers both have banged up staffs. Baseball always has the most random post-season, and it looks like chaos again. Just get in, and you have a chance.
Wish the Cubs bullpen was closer to full strength right now!

Wish the Cubs bullpen was closer to full strength right now!
The bullpen situation is nuts and I'm not sure what more Ross can do at this point. It seems we need to run the gauntlet to get 9 or more outs every game hoping that someone doesn't implode. No one is consistently bad but no one is consistently good either. Lets get 4 of the final 6 and get into the playoffs!

Miami owns the tie-breaker against all of the other Wild Card teams and every other Wild Card team has the tiebreaker against the Cubs.

Yankees are up on the D-Backs 5-4 in the bottom of the 8th.

Cubs have the tiebreaker problem as cited above. I say 4-2 should get it done - I can't imagine Miami going 5-1 or better and the Dbacks have 3 with Houston who is going to be fighting to the last game.

I am happy that it is cold outside and I still care about the outcomes of baseball game.

Revised NL WC odds after yesterday's D-Backs loss (three make it):

Phillies - 100%
D'Backs - 78.7%
Cubs - 57.9%
Marlins - 55.5%
Reds - 7.7%
Giants - 0.1%

Cubs have the tiebreaker problem as cited above. I say 4-2 should get it done - I can't imagine Miami going 5-1 or better and the Dbacks have 3 with Houston who is going to be fighting to the last game.
4-2 at Milwaukee and Atlanta with the bullpen injuries would be heroic.

Back