• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Tonight's the biggest game in a few years. Got Steele on the mound vs. the best team in baseball and we need a W delivered.

Let's get it done boys.
Part of the fun of a playoff chase is the scoreboard watching. Lifelong Lucchesi guy over here. #LGM

From yesterday to today, the DBacks odds dropped from 84.6% to 78.7%.

My gut says we stand a better chance of finishing ahead of the DBacks than the Marlins. The DBacks just threw their 2 aces and have a series against Houston. I doubt they sweep Chicago and I think they will struggle to win the Houston series. I'm guessing they go 3-3 at best. This is gonna be a wild last week.

Tough loss.

Suzuki's error will get the blame allowing 2 unearned runs. The fact is that four of Atlanta's seven runs were the result of a base on balls. Bullpen asked for trouble and they got it.

Subbing in PCA for one of the better run producers sent the wrong message. The lineup can't relax thinking a six run lead should suffice, especially against the Braves. Alzolay and Fulmer are on the IL. Leiter hasn't pitched in six days for a reason. Merryweather has given up two walks in each of his last three appearances. No gas in the tank for the four guys who have been the backbone of the bullpen. That's the fact of the matter. The lineup and the starters have to perform to reach the post season. Anything the bullpen can provide is a bonus.

Hope this team can recover.

I don’t think subbing in PCA was a bad move. I think taking him out was a bad move though. You put him in to play defense. You sub him out with a guy every bit as prone to K as PCA. And that guy proceeds to K. And then the RF botches a routine fly ball that PCA would likely have gobbled up if he was in (I get it, the whole game changes if PCA never leaves). Anyway, this loss is on the bullpen. And that ATL lineup is just really damn good. Just like in Chicago, they keep on coming at you no matter the score.

Tauchman is a better bat than PCA and Wisdom. He bats leadoff because he gets on base and initiates the offense. The D is good enough to start. Against Atlanta you can never assume you have produced enough offense to win, especially with a circumspect bullpen. Keep your bats in the lineup and keep attacking.

Tauchman is a better bat than PCA and Wisdom. He bats leadoff because he gets on base and initiates the offense. The D is good enough to start. Against Atlanta you can never assume you have produced enough offense to win, especially with a circumspect bullpen. Keep your bats in the lineup and keep attacking.
Any manager on earth is going to bank on his team defending a big lead with their ace on the bump. It isn’t like he removed Andre Dawson from the offense. I understand you viewpoint. I just disagree. My wife noted on the double that went over Tauchman's head that PCA might have gotten to it. I thought that was crazy, but then I saw the replay and had to concede that maybe she was right. It isn't that Tauchman is bad out there in CF either. It's just no one has range like PCA in the entire system.

Last edited:
Updated WC playoff odds for the final two spots (Phillies are in) after Tuesday's results:

D'Backs 83-74 -- 88.8%; AZ Pfaadt (2-9 6.08 ERA) v. CWS Patino (0-0 4.24 ERA)
Marlins 81-75 -- 56.4% MIA Garrett (9-6 3.53 ERA) v. Mets Lucchesi (3-0 2.88 ERA) and MIA TBD v. Senga (12-7 2.96 ERA)
Cubs 82-75 -- 41.6% Cubs Tallion (8-10 5.05 ERA) v. ATL Vines (1-0 4.40 ERA)
Reds 81-77 -- 13.1% Reds Abbott (8-5 3.70 ERA) v. CLE Bieber (5-6 3.91 ERA)

Think the Marlins are in trouble today. Lucchesi hasn't given more than 2 earned runs in any of his last four starts; Senga has been among the best pitchers in baseball since the ASB. Marlins miss the reigning Cy Young winner.

Reds are trying to climb back into the race. Abbott a UVA grad, has struggled lately, but the Reds lineup has been raking.

AZ's starter is horrendous, but the White Sox are even more horrendous overall.

Vines will give up runs today, but so will Tallion in ATL.

The AZ game is a day game.

Last edited:
Back