• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Ross' use of Canario is puzzling. Called up a couple weeks ago and gets one at bat against a good closer. K. Then he gets a start in a must-win game when guys are hurt. Dude has 5 RBIs. All part of the master plan!

Nick Madrigal to the IL with a right hamstring strain. Jared Young recalled to replace him.

My WTF? for today. In the final two weeks of the season and the Cubs are fighting to make the playoffs and searching for a spark.. There is an infielder in Iowa that made major contributions for the playoff bound cubs in 2018 and 2019, including 5 (yes five) walkoff hits. Please explain why David Bote is in Iowa and not in the Chicago dugout. Ignorance.

That is all.
Didn't Bote sign a large and somewhat controversial extension a year or two ago? Good $$ for AAA.

Since some are shocked there is a big Cubs following on the Wake boards, I'll ask why you are a Cubs fan?

My answer: My parents are from Elgin (outside Chicago) and I was raised a Cubs fan. My grandma watched all the games for her 102 year life. Though I'm from Wisconsin, I hate the Brewers.

Giants are down 7-1 late to the D'Backs. SF is essentially eliminated (not that it matters, but the Padres may catch the Giants). So, with the Phillies safe after taking 2 of 3 in ATL, it's the Marlins, D'backs and Cubs for the last two WC spots. Fangraphs gives the D'Backs (68% to get in) a slight edge with the Cubs (53%) and Marlins (52%) essentially 50/50 to make the playoffs.

Since some are shocked there is a big Cubs following on the Wake boards, I'll ask why you are a Cubs fan?

My answer: My parents are from Elgin (outside Chicago) and I was raised a Cubs fan. My grandma watched all the games for her 102 year life. Though I'm from Wisconsin, I hate the Brewers.

My birth certificate says Chicago. When baseball became part of my life at 8, I could watch all the Cub home games in the afternoon on TV. I lived on the northside of Chicago and the near northwest suburbs for the first 12 years of my life. When the Cubs were perennial losers in the 1950's they had a promotion called Ladies Day. Women could buy a grandstand ticket for half price and their kids got in free. You can't beat that deal with a stick and we attended often. My first view of Wrigley Field took my breath away.

One of the best days of my life came when my best friend and I were given permission to sit in the bleachers by ourselves at age 10. We sat alone (literally) on the first row in centerfield bleachers. Sunny, not a cloud in the sky and a cool breeze coming from home plate. It was the first sense of freedom and responsibility we experienced. Our mothers trusted us and we knew we couldn't screw this opportunity up. The Cubs were playing the Giants and Willie Mays was playing centerfield. We yelled "hi Willie" never thinking he would respond, but he did. He came over and talked with us the next inning. We noted the direction of the wind and asked him to hit a home run to us. He asked "aren't you Cub fans?" We replied "yeah, but you're Willie Mays!" He laughed and said he would see what he could do. A couple innings later Willie sent a pitch about four rows behind us that we quickly retrieved and rejoiced over. When he came out to play centerfield he did so with a big smile. We thanked him, grinning from ear to ear. He asked who would keep it and we told he we would share it. A couple innings after that Willie Kirkland sent us a second gift. When Kirkland came out to play rightfield he pointed to us and waved. We waved back screaming "thanks". With a big grin, Mays asked if we were happy. The smile on our faces and the excitement of our actions said more than words could ever convey.

Sixty four years later I can still feel the warm sun on my face and feel the cool breeze passing by recounting that moment. Absolute bliss.

Last edited:
Though I'm from Wisconsin, I hate the Brewers.
boo.gif

Cubs are up on the Rockies.

Just amazing how far Kris Bryant, now on the Rockies, has fallen.

2015 ROY
2016 NL MVP
Multiple all-star

Bryant looked to be one of the premier power hitters in the sport for a long time. Despite having the advantage of playing for the Rockies. Bryant has 10 HRs on the and is slugging a pathetic .375 slugging percentage on the season. He's 31 and looks done. Realize he has had a ton of injuries, but he's another example why teams should not enter into long terms contracts for young stars.

Last edited:
My Grandpa grew up in Chicago and was a lifelong fan. My Dad grew up in Evanston and was a lifelong fan. I was born into it. My favorite sports memory was sitting in the RF bleachers for Game 6 of the 2016 NLCS. All the nearby fans had similar stories. So many of us were crying when that double play sent them to the World Series.

And don’t ask what tickets to that game cost. It was so worth it.

Spent 13 yrs in Chicago. Moved there right after graduating Wake. My first year there I had Wednesday off from work each week and went to every home Wednesday game.
A native NYer I became a huge Chicago sports fan. I still listen to 670 the Score over the internet every day from here in Florida.

Both sides of my family are from Iowa and the only sport that care about is baseball. Fill in the rest.

Big win this afternoon to sweep the Rockies. Three days of decent pitching and just enough offense. Just keep winning.

Back