• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Childress as the new "face' of Wake B-ball?

Won't go into specifics to protect my sources, but 2 well-respected, WFU supporters told me they've never seen a "host" of a charity event come off as detached and cold as our esteemed coach. The first story pushed me firmly into the Buzzout camp, the other just saddens me, as this guy is as passionate a WFU and DC member that you'd ever meet. Both told me they were done and will find other ways to help fund the battle against cancer.

Hate to pile on, but its damn hard not to.

Won't go into specifics to protect my sources, but 2 well-respected, WFU supporters told me they've never seen a "host" of a charity event come off as detached and cold as our esteemed coach. The first story pushed me firmly into the Buzzout camp, the other just saddens me, as this guy is as passionate a WFU and DC member that you'd ever meet. Both told me they were done and will find other ways to help fund the battle against cancer.

Please ask them to send an email (or letter) to President Hatch. They sound like the kind of people that he might take seriously.

I'm not a DC club member at this point (more out of laziness and not being driving distance to Winston than as a "statement" about Bzz or the program) but I have been invited to the D.C. DC stop on the tour. Planning to attend, and Bzz is supposed to be at that one. Could be interesting. But it also means you don't have to be a DC member, let along a big donor, to get invited to one of these.

For all my neg reppers...please see the above post.

I'm willing to cut Larue some slack on not closing the deal with recruits. How many ACC-level and particularly ACC elite-level recruits would want to come to this mess right now? How many parents would want their kids to walk into this mess? It takes a special kid right now to commit to this program knowing what they're walking into. I'm pretty amazed that our recruiting is not considerably worse than it is. What we've been able to do recruiting wise has been a real testament to Coach Battle's recruiting abilities.

As an aside, what's really interesting to me about the list Mendacious posted of the people that are speaking at the various Deacon Club Tour events is that Wellman's name is missing from the list entirely. Even President Hatch is scheduled to speak at one event, but not Wellman.

So, what are the chances Bzzz actually shows up in Charlotte today?

What do all these different people do?

Also, how ridiculously large is our basketball staff.

Wake Forest names Randolph Childress director of player development: http://www.wralsportsfan.com/colleges/story/11022229/

Uhggg...I hate that his name/legacy is now tied to Bzz. It appears we are in full-on panic mode within the athletic department trying to do whatever we can to win back some fans. We are making up positions to put people in. It's like putting a bandaid on a gunshot wound to the heat.

Also, gotta love the Bzz quote. He's like a machine.

“We are looking forward to Randolph playing a more prominent role in our program,” said [Redacted]. “He exemplifies our vision of winning championships without compromising our values. I, along with all Demon Deacon fans, am excited to have him on board.”

In addition to Childress’ hiring, [Redacted] has also moved Mike Lepore to the Director of Scouting/Recruiting and Dan Ficke to the Special Assistant to the Head Coach/Director of Player Relations.

Deacon2002;683220. As an aside said:
Wellman is to be in Raleigh tonight with Childress per my phone call to the Deacon Club to confirm Childress as the speaker.

Wellman is to be in Raleigh tonight with Childress per my phone call to the Deacon Club to confirm Childress as the speaker.

Please post your comments/observations of the event... on the other thread.

Last edited:
Back