• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Childress as the new "face' of Wake B-ball?

While you are correct that Chill is not a coach, answer me this: If you were the AD, would you not put one of the most beloved basketball players in front of a Wake crowd? Considering what we brought him in to do, I think it makes sense to send him out.

It would make sense if our team wasn't in the crapper and we didn't have a coach who is in major need of some support from his fan base. Sending anyone but Bzz under those circumstances is just admittance from the AD that Bzz is incapable.

If it was not normal for us to send out assistant coaches for these, then I would agree with you. Since we've been sending assistant coaches for years, it's not quite as cut and dry. If Buzz was winning, had a great personality and we all loved him (huge pipe dream), would you still have a problem with sending Chill out?

If it was not normal for us to send out assistant coaches for these, then I would agree with you. Since we've been sending assistant coaches for years, it's not quite as cut and dry. If Buzz was winning, had a great personality and we all loved him (huge pipe dream), would you still have a problem with sending Chill out?

No, and that's the rub. It is plainly obvious that they are not sending Bz because we are losing and he is speaks terribly and does not handle criticism well. If we had reached the sweet 16 last year this would not be news. Context is everything on this one, and it looks like a cop-out.

Context is everything, I agree there. Does anyone have a problem that LaRue is going to be talking to groups? What about Corbean? What is the point of hiring a university legend, who is incredibly personable and intelligent, if you're not going to put him out there to talk with donors?

My GF had lunch with a good friend in the Athletic Dept today who mentioned to her that he heard LaRue is looking to leave his position and there is talk of replacing him with Childress. I find this hard to believe...anyone know if there is any truth to this?

No truth.

Well DV7, without you, Wake athletics wouldn't exist so they must appease you somehow:thumbsup:

Yeah, I'm kinda a big deal. I have many leather bound books.

No, and that's the rub. It is plainly obvious that they are not sending Bz because we are losing and he is speaks terribly and does not handle criticism well. If we had reached the sweet 16 last year this would not be news. Context is everything on this one, and it looks like a cop-out.

Exactly. The context is everything. The program is in the dumps. Now would be the time to send the head coach to EVERY event. Instead, we're sending a non-coach and showing highlights of his career two coaching staffs ago. And then add to it the fact that Bzz skipped out on attending events last year, and you have all of the context you need.

No truth.

That's sad. I was really hoping Rusty would start moving on with his career so when Bz is let go, Rusty isn't some stray hoping to get picked up by the next staff. A lot of folks would love if he was our head coach down the line but only if he climbed the ladder through hard work elsewhere instead of just using his good will with the administration and fan base.

Exactly. The context is everything. The program is in the dumps. Now would be the time to send the head coach to EVERY event. Instead, we're sending a non-coach and showing highlights of his career two coaching staffs ago. And then add to it the fact that Bzz skipped out on attending events last year, and you have all of the context you need.

Every event? Even Skip didn't attend every event. IF Buzz is experiencing any pressure from above, he should do nothing but watch tape and figure out some way in hell to win next season. Do you honestly think that him getting in front of every single Wake gathering would garner him or the program any more good will than sending an assistant or famous basketball alum?

That's sad. I was really hoping Rusty would start moving on with his career so when Bz is let go, Rusty isn't some stray hoping to get picked up by the next staff. A lot of folks would love if he was our head coach down the line but only if he climbed the ladder through hard work elsewhere instead of just using his good will with the administration and fan base.

Not saying he won't ever leave for a better position OR that if one was offered to him before next season he wouldn't consider it, but he is not looking or planning to leave.

Real talk: Given Rusty's coaching record, I'd say he's pretty fortunate to be on this ship, regardless of how quickly it's sinking... He'll get some looks in the future I'm sure, but his record is Bzz-bad as a Wake assistant and a HC at low-level HS and DIII.

I suppose that his biggest claim to fame is as a recruiter, but as our class drops by the day, I believe it less and less. Considering how badly we whiffed on some targets that he should know very well (ie. McClinton at Prep, Gill at Ravenscroft were teams that he used to coach against/cull AAU talent from and are coached by coaches that he should know quite well). I'm willing to reconsider if we start getting elite local talent again (CP, Big E, JGray, Trent, etc.), but until then, I'm staying even-keeled.

I always feel it necessary to follow these crits up by saying that I loved Rusty as a Deac and appreciate his hustle as an AC..

Every event? Even Skip didn't attend every event.

Skip didn't need to attend every event. He wasn't responsible for the worst period of Wake Forest basketball that anyone can remember, nor did he have to dig himself out of a hole he had been creating with the fan base from the day he was hired. At some point Bzz, if he really believes he is the man for the job, needs to man up and act like it. The fact that he refuses to do so just furthers the point of all those who rightly criticize him. At this point, it appears he's content to simply collect his paycheck and retire to his beach house whenever Wake gets around to finally firing him.

Do you honestly think that him getting in front of every single Wake gathering would garner him or the program any more good will than sending an assistant or famous basketball alum?

No...and it's his job to change that. He's paid quite well to at least try. Given the state of the program, sending out assistants, AD employees, and dodging events where he is scheduled to be just shows him to be what we all expect.

Shouldn't he be actively trying to change the situation? Hire a PR firm, get some speech coaching and show up at every event where you can get in front of a Wake fan. That should be his plan of action if he truly believes in what he's doing.

How are you defining "man up and act like it?" So far, I've seen plenty of unjustified bravado and down the nose talk to upset fans that I think he's got the "I'm in complete control so shut the fuck up" act down pretty good. Honest question because I don't remember, how many/which events did he dodge last year?

Given the state of the program, should we not send out anyone and everyone we can to try and drum up support? Who is more likely to give you a scrap of hope: Buzz or Chill? Given the state of the program, we NEED to send out all hands. What we don't need to do is rely solely on a man who has a hard time giving public speeches.

I want Buzz gone but I still don't see how sending out Chill or the assistants is anything but good and/or helpful.

I've literally never heard BZZZ speak. Dont know what he sounds like.

Wolf1297 and I attended the Raleigh Deacon Club event not long after Bzzz was hired. I knew we were in for trouble when my husband commented, "He reminds me a lot of Herb Sendek in speaking style & personality. I'm not sure that is what Wake needs."

It's pretty standard for speaking engagements to get split up among a number of people involved with the program. This thread is much ado about nothing imo.

Also, this thread title is horribly misleading, considering that (if I understand correctly) [Redacted] is doing more speaking engagements than Chill.

Last edited:
You send the fucking head coach of a team to NYC if you care about what a large market of boosters think. Glad Chill will be there and I will enjoy a beer with him but I want answers/guidance from the top. That means you too Welman (scheduled as a maybe)!

Back