• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

Did you see there's a new fish restaurant/market opening up at Union Market? $23/pound for Cod. That place has officially gone insane.

yeah I read the PoPville thread yesterday. I agree with one of the commenters that at that price you better tell me where it's from at least.

Ha, that's ridiculous. Guess cod is the new tuna. We've been there maybe 3 or 4 times, mainly when folks are in town that have already been to Eastern Market. Never really shopped there but always thought the prices were pretty crazy. The Nate Anda Red Apron joint is still my favorite. We snagged some pork cheeks last time we were there and braised them, probably in the top 10 things I've ever made at home (not that I do much more than grill, but they were awesome).

It's always felt like more of a destination than a market though, even when it opened.

What we need is a fish market in Old Town near Brabo's butcher's block...

agree with it being a destination more than market. the only things I've ever really taken home were some feta spread from one of the popup vendors and some ice cream (though that place is closed on Sundays, WTF?). the main place I hit up is Red Apron, and with a Penn Quarter location opening soon, I may go there less and less.

agree with it being a destination more than market. the only things I've ever really taken home were some feta spread from one of the popup vendors and some ice cream (though that place is closed on Sundays, WTF?). the main place I hit up is Red Apron, and with a Penn Quarter location opening soon, I may go there less and less.

I also like to go in to Salt & Sundry and look at Amanda, the owner. She's super. But I too agree that's it's more of a destination than a market.

Piling on to the destination vs market thing. When we go it's almost always to just walk around/hang out and eat a meal. Rarely get stuff to take home. Except for ice cream (and milk and yogurt). Trickling Springs is just so damn good. They're Amish, which is why they're closed on Sundays.

Piling on to the destination vs market thing. When we go it's almost always to just walk around/hang out and eat a meal. Rarely get stuff to take home. Except for ice cream (and milk and yogurt). Trickling Springs is just so damn good. They're Amish, which is why they're closed on Sundays.

ahh makes sense.

(maybe another religious one) but anyone ever been to the Sweet Lobby? they're closed on Sundays which is odd since a good amount of foot traffic is there on the weekends.

Let me add my recommendation to the knife sharpeners in Union Market. Although a tad pricey like most things in DC, they do excellent work sharpening knives.

I was psyched when I heard they were expanding. Just saw the new space while we were walking to Majestic after the snow storm. We were supposed to go to Black Salt but they had that fire...

I live just a few blocks away as well. Does the bar have better drinks now - like actual cocktails? I talked with Gina at the Hank's near Eastern Market and she sounded a little bitter that they hadn't reached out to her to help set up the new bar. Think she kinda dug the idea of being near PX to give them a little competition...

Anyway, look forward to checking it out. Somehow I've never made it for happy hour oysters there. No good excuse.

Looks like Old Town is also getting a Los Cuates in the old Tiffany Tavern space (still sad they closed). Also the Bistro Lepic guy is supposedly opening a second restaurant next door. Good stuff for the uptown area of Old Town...

I am far from a cocktail connoisseur, but a friend is (he is actually allergic to beer) and he likes their cocktail menu a lot. Have not been to the one on the Hill, so cant compare.

Am super psyched about Los Cuates coming in. The only place in DC I have found where you can get white cheese dip.

RIP Tiffany Tavern. The (only?) bluegrass spot that was left in NoVA.

I am far from a cocktail connoisseur, but a friend is (he is actually allergic to beer) and he likes their cocktail menu a lot. Have not been to the one on the Hill, so cant compare.

Am super psyched about Los Cuates coming in. The only place in DC I have found where you can get white cheese dip.

Their queso blanco is awesome. Had it on Saturday (have it every time I eat there). And for real, don't sleep on their beef burrito. It's good.

District Taco's queso is close to being white.

Ah, just checked the menu. It's a ton better. Also the current Eddy bar menu is pretty funny, guess Gina had her baby and all the drinks are dedicated to her. Although a drink called "I think my water just broke" is a little weird.

So many good cocktail bars now:

Eddy bar
Passenger (need to hit up Columbia Room)
Bar Charley
barmini
Libertine

We did Columbia Room this past weekend. While it was very cool and I learned a lot about cocktails and recipes, it was awfully steep price for 3 cocktails and a jamon/cheese plate. I would do it once for a cool date, and then maybe again in another season for a special occassion.

Also did minibar (the restaurant portion) last October. The last course they take you out into barmini and you can order a cocktail, which of course we did.

I gotta hit up the other places you mentioned.

I still need to do Gibson, PX, and the new Derek Brown trio of bars, among others

Don't forget Room 11. That place is awesome.

I still need to do Gibson, PX, and the new Derek Brown trio of bars, among others

I like Gibson a lot, and I lurve the new derek brown spots, each in their own special way. I have no desire to go to PX. I have heard nothing but horror stories about how utterly terrible the staff there is. And it's in Virginia.

Back