• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

CityCenter is like DC Vegas. Everything is trendy, new, there's modern lounge music playing in every indoor space, and it's all over priced. But then some of it is really good... Can't wait to find a vendor who's down for Del Frisco's surf and turf...

Wifey and I went to DF's back in January and it was good, though hella expensive. Granted, we each got two steaks and threw on a 3 lb lobster tail for good measure. The wine list is RIDICULOUS. A number of $10k bottles, and very little under $200 (maybe 5-10% of the list).

I will admit that we may have come away feeling differently about Mango Tree if we'd had a better server.

But I still have a really hard time paying $22 for chicken curry or even more egregious $49 for lobster pad thai when it really doesn't taste all that different from some of the other Thai places around town. Yes, it's a nicer dining room and it's in City Center, but it's not THAT much nicer.

We just made a res to go there tomorrow night, so I'm curious if our experience will be any different. The prices do seem ridiculous if the food isn't that much different/better than normal good Thai places around. And that toning down the spice level shit isn't going to fly with us. We get our shit Thai-spicy.

I'm curious how you like it as well! I want to think we gave it a fair shot since all 5 of us ordered different entrees and we split two appetizer type things, but Tom went 4 times and gave it a good review, so who knows!

All Purpose sounds like an awesome collaboration, but I'm always happy with the pies I get a Bacio.

I'm telling you, Jackpot is never that busy and pretty chill. Not as nice as Denson but still cool. Might go there today actually.

Ok I had my first awful experience at jackpot, but also my best experience. Because I went before and after the Wizards game last night. I'm healthy.

The bartender that's generally there for happy hour is pretty much my favorite bartender ever. He remembers your name for your tab without asking every time, he remembers what beers you like, and last night even saw me starting to approach the busy bar and called out "[my last name], 2 more?" Other than that he says nothing to you. It's the perfect situation.

The bartender later that night was, without a doubt, the most obnoxious bartender I've ever experienced. Loud, terrible and borderline offensive jokes, wouldn't leave you alone kind of guy. I met a couple friends there who were a few beers deep, and they joked "must be time for a free one, eh?" Now that's admittedly an obnoxious joke (really half-joke), but the guy reacted like we asked him for his first-born (who hopefully will never exist). "Whoaaa can't do that man, you know, not my bar, not my call." Then he proceeded to give the girls DIRECTLY NEXT TO US two rounds of free shots.

Unfortunately I have to assume he got a 20% tip from me because I forgot to close my tab.

Tried to go to Denson a couple Fridays ago - they weren't letting people in at 7 because it was so packed. And after looking at the drink menu, it didn't look like we missed much other than basic, overpriced cocktails.

Headed over to Jackpot instead - pretty decent - crowded, but found some standing room in a corner, and good enough beer list. But its still just a basement bar.

Finished off the night at Lost and Found. Good vibe, front room wasn't too packed, and another good beer list.

I thought Mango Tree was fantastic. I didn't think anything we had was remotely something that we could get at any decent Thai place around town. We also asked for everything to be Thai spicy and they accommodated with no problem. It's hard to compare to either little serro or thai x-ing because the atmosphere and schtick of each is vastly different, but we will defs go back.

We finally checked out Range this weekend for dinner. Thought the food and cocktails were all really good. Not so great that I'm in a hurry to make the trek across town again anytime soon, but I'd definitely check it out again. Curious about Aggio, though. Anyone been?

I thought Mango Tree was fantastic. I didn't think anything we had was remotely something that we could get at any decent Thai place around town. We also asked for everything to be Thai spicy and they accommodated with no problem. It's hard to compare to either little serro or thai x-ing because the atmosphere and schtick of each is vastly different, but we will defs go back.

Now I'm curious what you ate!

For the Alexandria/Del Ray folks, tried The Reserve, new restaurant upstairs from Del Ray Pizza, and were really impressed. Had steak tartare, which they serve in deviled eggs, hot chicken, and a grilled donut for dessert, which was even better than it sounds. Good beer list too, including Foothills Hoppyium.

Definitely recommend, nice to have another more upscale restaurant in Del Ray as an alternative to Evening Star.

Last edited:
Now I'm curious what you ate!

To start, we shared the crispy catfish salad (which was really interesting - sweet, sour, spicy, fresh) and the sundried pork (which was the jam). For mains we split the duck two-ways and the beef cheek curry. Thought both were great.

Mason Social didn't disappoint for dinner. Flank steak was awesome. Place was totally slammed on the weekend. I don't really understand how that area has so many vacant commercial spots yet everything that opens there is packed all the time.

Back