• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

Wow, I'm heading to Mango Tree for lunch tomorrow just based off that response. Pretty good stuff.

Just read it! Great response. As I think I said before, they did figure out our table because the GM called my friend who had made the reservation to apologize and ask for more info.

I know Tom always says to talk to a manager on site (and I have done so on other occasions). In this case there was actually a comment card in our bill, so we filled that out and left it at the table. The restaurant wasn't very crowded so we didn't really want to draw too much attention, and we didn't have an issue with any of the food or the timing of the service. It was really pretty much the server (and a feeling of things being overpriced...but that's just an opinion and not a complaint for a manager)

Lunch at Mango Tree was great. Food was excellent. Lunch prices are pretty reasonable, especially for City Center.

Funny we also had an over-exuberant refill guy - but it was for water. Seriously we'd have a sip of water and here comes the guy to make sure your 75% full glass is 98% full. Weird but no big deal, the beef cheeks were great and the pork was as well. Pad Thai had tons of flavor.

It's definitely got that "City Center" vibe nailed though. Lounge music? Check. Tons of wait staff and Vegas-style appearance? Check. Acting like walking in on Thursday at noon expecting a table for 5 was a tough ask without reservations? Check. 15 empty tables upstairs before and after we left? Check.

Food was great though, and that atmosphere is what pulled DBGB and Momofuku into the mix, so no big deal in my book.

Lunch at Mango Tree was great. Food was excellent. Lunch prices are pretty reasonable, especially for City Center.

Funny we also had an over-exuberant refill guy - but it was for water. Seriously we'd have a sip of water and here comes the guy to make sure your 75% full glass is 98% full. Weird but no big deal, the beef cheeks were great and the pork was as well. Pad Thai had tons of flavor.

It's definitely got that "City Center" vibe nailed though. Lounge music? Check. Tons of wait staff and Vegas-style appearance? Check. Acting like walking in on Thursday at noon expecting a table for 5 was a tough ask without reservations? Check. 15 empty tables upstairs before and after we left? Check.

Food was great though, and that atmosphere is what pulled DBGB and Momofuku into the mix, so no big deal in my book.

Now that kind of over exuberance I can get behind! I hate an empty water glass (and I typically drink a lot of water during a meal).

Now that kind of over exuberance I can get behind! I hate an empty water glass (and I typically drink a lot of water during a meal).

They did that during our dinner, which I was defs happy about since we ordered everything spicy.

so after getting stuffed with cheese and beer we decided to do a light dinner and hit up Tico with my cousin and her husband and got like 8 plates. for the most stuff it was all pretty good, and the cocktails on tap were very nice. particularly loved the mac and cheese, chorizo risotto, and sausage and peppers with morcilla (one of my favorite sausages).

Had the parents in town and DBGB was a big hit for dinner. Did a sampler plate of their sausages for an appetizer - they were awesome. The Colonial (Rye based cocktail) was a huge hit. Pancetta-wrapped trout was pretty stunning, the fried chicken was some of the best I've had anywhere in DC - didn't try the other stuff but it all got great reviews.

Still a little over-the-top price wise because it's City Center, but it was really good.

I went to Compass Rose a couple weeks back with 5 others. Other than a name-on-list/no-call screw up that meant we had to stand at the very crowded bar for 45 minutes, the night was excellent. The drinks were all enjoyable, and the lamb kafta, el lomito, and of course the khachapuri were highlights. Since they don't take reservations, on a busy night its best to put your name on the list, go around the corner to Bar Pilar for a drink, and wait for their call.

We went to Corduroy last night for the first time in a couple of years, mainly because of this. Just like the last time we went, we were all very underwhelmed. It wasn't bad by any means, but to say it is No. 2 in town for good is ludicrous. Everything that we had was rather pedestrian when compared to other fine dining places. I know people on the boards as well as in general really like it, but I really have not experienced anything there to make me think it's in any way special. Not saying I won't go back, especially since it's convenient to both home and work, but to say that the foo is better than Rasika, Roses, the Inn or L'Auberge and countless other places in town makes me really question the opinion of Zagats.

Had no idea anyone considered Zagat's ratings any further than "oh hey maybe this place doesn't suck."

I've always trusted Zagats for NYC, but not really thought about it elsewhere

ah, everything makes more sense realizing there's a wake will event. was wondering why the dc thing was at such a weird time.

Back