• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chris Christie takes state helicopter to son's baseball game

I'm surprised no one's chimed in and said they went to Delbarton and what a great school it is...

Ha. I did, and it is.

But to the point, this is an uncharacteristic and stupid lapse of judgment by CC--one that is potentially damaging because it runs precisely counter to the political persona he has worked to establish.

Is it uncharacteristic or just the first time it's gone national?

Is it uncharacteristic or just the first time it's gone national?

uncharacteristic.

in fact, CC has generally used the chopper a lot less frequently than his predecessors.

The Wall Street Journal notes:

Compared with past governors, Mr. Christie is practically afraid of flying. He has taken 35 flights in his first year and a half in office, the State Police said.

Gov. Tom Kean, a Republican (and Mr. Christie's teenage political idol), used a helicopter more than 1,000 times in a four-year term, while Democratic Gov. Jim Florio racked up more than 2,300 flights in a term, according to the Star-Ledger of Newark. Mr. Florio was criticized by candidate Christie Whitman, who defeated him in 1993. Soon enough, she found her own chopper trouble when the Star-Ledger reported she took a state helicopter to a Devils-Rangers playoff game. One of the reporters on the story, Mr. Drewniak, is now Mr. Christie's spokesman

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303657404576359952854135140.html

Newt doesn't matter here. Only Christie matters here.

We need to simply call whomever it is out and not try to make it a zero sum game.

I'd bring up some of the many Obama holidays but I suppose that would be a waste of bandwidth... liberal royalty and all that.

I'd bring up some of the many Obama holidays but I suppose that would be a waste of bandwidth... liberal royalty and all that.

You have to be fucking kidding me:

"Bush spent 1,020 days of his presidency on vacation. To put this into context, John F. Kennedy spent fewer days in office, 1000, than George W. Bush spent on vacation. Bush spent 487 days at Camp David, 490 days at his Crawford ranch, and 43 days in Kennebunkport. George W. Bush spent 69 days in Crawford during his first year in office. In contrast, according to FactCheck.org, Obama spent all, or part of, 26 days of his first year in office on vacation. This was less than all three previous Republican presidents, Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, and George W. Bush, but more than the two previous Democratic presidents, Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton."

Oh my goodness. Not this Bush vacation BS again.

The president never stops being president whether it's at a ranch in Crawford or on Broadway. I have no problem if a guy who gets paid $400,000 to have the weight of the world on his shoulders needs to get away from the White House for awhile. To me, keeping our president sane and normal as possible is a damn good use of taxpayer money.

Oh my goodness. Not this Bush vacation BS again.

The president never stops being president whether it's at a ranch in Crawford or on Broadway. I have no problem if a guy who gets paid $400,000 to have the weight of the world on his shoulders needs to get away from the White House for awhile. To me, keeping our president sane and normal as possible is a damn good use of taxpayer money.

+1

Glad I misinterpreted your post, ONW.

At least it was to watch America's pastime. I'll take that over the wife taking 40 aids to see the wonders of Spain and pumping taxpayer money into the Spanish economy.

I love the "fat guy little chopper" tag. Pos rep to whoever posted that if I knew who it was.

I can take credit for that one ... I wish there was a way to sign tags without using up the letter allotment.

uncharacteristic.

in fact, CC has generally used the chopper a lot less frequently than his predecessors.

The Wall Street Journal notes:

Compared with past governors, Mr. Christie is practically afraid of flying. He has taken 35 flights in his first year and a half in office, the State Police said.

Gov. Tom Kean, a Republican (and Mr. Christie's teenage political idol), used a helicopter more than 1,000 times in a four-year term, while Democratic Gov. Jim Florio racked up more than 2,300 flights in a term, according to the Star-Ledger of Newark. Mr. Florio was criticized by candidate Christie Whitman, who defeated him in 1993. Soon enough, she found her own chopper trouble when the Star-Ledger reported she took a state helicopter to a Devils-Rangers playoff game. One of the reporters on the story, Mr. Drewniak, is now Mr. Christie's spokesman

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303657404576359952854135140.html

The difference is they were'nt laying off government employees and tlaking about austerity and that the state was borke.

I realize this is immaterail, but it is reality.

At least it was to watch America's pastime. I'll take that over the wife taking 40 aids to see the wonders of Spain and pumping taxpayer money into the Spanish economy.

Once the RW doesn't care about FACTS:

Obama is out of touch, apathetic, or simply selfish for taking a four-day jaunt to Spain to show her daughter some culture. Andrea Tantaros over at the New York Daily News spent a lot of time on Thursday penning an editorial accusing Obama of being a “modern-day Marie Antoinette”—tone-deaf to the economic suffering on the home front by taking a lavish foreign vacation. The most scandalous part, apparently, is the cost. The Obamas booked a rumored block of 60 rooms at a fancy Spanish hotel apparently akin to the Four Seasons.

We checked with the White House for a price breakdown of the trip, looking for a smoking gun. And honestly, there isn’t one. The bulk of the trip—the hotel stay and all meals—were paid for by the Obamas and their close friends who joined them. “Any additional footprint,” says a White House aide, “including additional rooms needed for security support, falls under the same rules as have applied to any previous first-family travel: the costs are split appropriately, with private expenses paid for privately; government expenses are paid for by the government.”

The unmentioned point here is that the first lady doesn’t travel with that big a security detail. The Secret Service obviously won’t discuss the extent of her protective covering. But she’s nothing like her husband, or any recent past president, who has been known to have a 20-car (or more) motorcade, as well as two planes, up to three helicopters, and more than 100 staffers for even ordinary puddle-jumping trips for a speech about the economy. Overkill? Maybe. But the Secret Service would say that it’s just part of the cost of having an executive and keeping him safe. Perhaps it could be done for cheaper, the way British Prime Minister David Cameron crossed the pond last month on a commercial airliner. By that logic, maybe it’s time for an honest accounting of exactly what kind of image the first family needs to represent America, or how big a security detail is actually needed to protect them. But a four-day trip overseas hardly seems like the best example of a system out of control.

In the meantime, it’s hard to think of Michelle Obama’s trip with her daughter as terribly blasphemous. Being first lady is a little like being vice president—a respectable title with no actual duties. So it seems unreasonable to ask the first lady to refrain from taking a short trip during August, the slowest month of the year, one that also coincides with her kids’ summer vacation. Or to ask that as long as she’s living in the White House, she only take vacations that “look” appropriate. The only really upsetting part is that, well, the rest of us are still sitting at our desks.

So where does it say that she didn't go to Spain or that she didn't pump money into the Spanish economy? Go to the Rocky Mountains, Grand Canyon, or Disneyworld, lady.

So it would appear on the surface that this sends a bad message at the very least, but do we know anything else about this trip? Christie would not be so oblivious as to just hop on a helo to see his son play ball unless he had all his ducks lined up in a row, I would think. It's certainly possible he had a brain fart, though.

He's so arrogant that he doesn't care. That meeting he had to rush back to had nothing to do with state business. It was to be recruited to run in Iowa next year. It was the antithesis of state business.

Back