• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chris Paul

Rumor has it that Pau is more responsible than Stern for tanking the trade...

That being said, the grand irony is that the team worst off at the end of the day is the Lakers. They lose their post-presence (and please don't be the idiot that says Lamar Odom is overrated...) for a heck-of-a-gamble (a.k.a. turning Bynum into Howard). If they weren't able to get Howard, then they would have been, by far, the losers of the trade.

Props to Dell Demps, though, for attempting to turn nothing (a.k.a. CP3 leaving them high and dry in free agency) for something (Kevin Martin, Lamar Odom, Luis Scola, Goran Dragic, and a first round pick). Hell, even Houston got an upgrade at PF by getting Gasol out of the deal after letting Landry get overpaid. Stern nixed one of the better deals in the past couple of years... What a fool.

To put Demp's genius in context:
-Cavs GM Chris Grant got the following for LeBron: two future, protected first round picks and two future, protected second round picks.
-Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo got a first round pick (that he had previously dealt) and a $16 million trade exception that the team inexplicably never used.

Gasol couldn't stop the trade no matter who much of a hissy fit he put up.

That being said, the grand irony is that the team worst off at the end of the day is the Lakers. They lose their post-presence (and please don't be the idiot that says Lamar Odom is overrated...) for a heck-of-a-gamble (a.k.a. turning Bynum into Howard). If they weren't able to get Howard, then they would have been, by far, the losers of the trade.

I guess Bynum doesn't count as a post presence? Bynum/Howard and a FA PF would do just fine.

Kobe and CP play pretty well together, actually. Quite a big sample size if you want to stop armchair quarterbacking and actually take a look...

:werd:

I wasn't armchair quarterbacking, I was quoting hollinger, but he has a history of just throwing ideas out there without having any sort of sense of statistics or backup for his claims

:werd:

Except Dwight has to be on his way.

Hollinger also claims there's no way Dwight is on his way. The bulls are offering Noah Deng and Asik, why would the Magic take Bynum over that offer? Its not a Melo situation where he can say "I'm going there anyway" cause the Lakers can't sign him as a FA.

I guess Bynum doesn't count as a post presence? Bynum/Howard and a FA PF would do just fine.

Where to start...

In 6 years, Bynum has played over 60 games, just twice and he's averaged over 30 minutes per game just once in his career. He also missed 25-games in two years due to injury in high school.

To say he's injury prone is putting it lightly. In 6 years, the 23-year-old Bynum has suffered the following injuries:

1999 - Undisclosed knee surgery on left knee
2003 - Undisclosed knee injury
2004 - Undisclosed knee injury
2005 - Loose ligaments/floating kneecap (wtf?)
2008 - Dislocated left kneecap/bone bruise -- arthroscopic surgery
2008 - Strained rotator cuff right shoulder
2008 - Bone spur right foot
2009 - Torn MCL right knee
2009 - Elbow strain
2009 - Sprained ankle
2010 - Strained achilles
2010 - Torn meniscus right knee -- arthroscopic surgery
2011 - Bone bruise left knee

Some are major, some are minor, but you'll notice that he's hurt both his left and right knee multiple times and we're not even sure what happened with a few of those injuries... Call him Mr. Glass.

Finally, losing Pau and Lamar means that the Lakers will be without the below statline on a nightly basis. Let me know which current free agent gives you these numbers on average and you'll know why I think they fleeced themselves.

33.2 ppg, 18.9 rpg, 6.3 apg (3.43 TOpg), 1.2 spg, and 2.33 blocks per game. And, oh yeah, both Odom and Gasol made it the full 82 games last year.

That being said, the grand irony is that the team worst off at the end of the day is the Lakers. They lose their post-presence (and please don't be the idiot that says Lamar Odom is overrated...) for a heck-of-a-gamble (a.k.a. turning Bynum into Howard). If they weren't able to get Howard, then they would have been, by far, the losers of the trade opposed to the Clippers/GSW offers.

Props to Dell Demps, though, for attempting to turn nothing (a.k.a. CP3 leaving them high and dry in free agency) for something (Kevin Martin, Lamar Odom, Luis Scola, Goran Dragic, and a first round pick). Hell, even Houston got an upgrade at PF by getting Gasol out of the deal after letting Landry get overpaid. Stern nixed one of the better deals in the past couple of years... What a fool.

To put Demp's genius in context:
-Cavs GM Chris Grant got the following for LeBron: two future, protected first round picks and two future, protected second round picks.
-Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo got a first round pick (that he had previously dealt) and a $16 million trade exception that the team inexplicably never used.

I tend to agree, I think the Hornets would have been stuck fighting for the playoffs with no chance at a championship, but they would have had a team to put on the court. I'm not sure you can go as a pure rebuilding franchise while you're trying to sell a team, so this was perhaps their best play long-term opposed to the Clippers/GSW 20 win team next year offers.

I think the Lakers have no problem signing the best "mid-level exception" guys though, so they could have filled the PF slot with someone like Landry. But they still need to get through the cap killing Blake, MWP and Walton and Fisher deals. for the next 2-3 years.

But if you start with the assumption that their current lineup wasn't winning a championship after getting swept with that lineup last year, Paul is a good building block for 2-3 years from now when those contracts are gone.

Of course the winning play is the play the Lakers wouldn't have the balls to pull off but should if not for the Rodney King implications. Amnesty Kobe next year and sign D-12 as a FA. From my understanding of the new CBA, they could amnesty Kobe and it would cost them nothing (Luxury tax savings trump the amount they'd have to pay)

Last edited:
I tend to agree, I think the Hornets would have been stuck fighting for the playoffs with no chance at a championship, but they would have had a team to put on the court. I'm not sure you can go as a pure rebuilding franchise while you're trying to sell a team, so this was perhaps their best play long-term opposed to the Clippers/GSW 20 win team next year offers.

I think the Lakers have no problem signing the best "mid-level exception" guys though, so they could have filled the PF slot with someone like Landry. But they still need to get through the cap killing Blake, MWP and Walton deals.

But if you start with the assumption that their current lineup wasn't winning a championship after getting swept with that lineup last year, Paul is a good building block for 2-3 years from now when those contracts are gone.

Of course the winning play is the play the Lakers wouldn't have the balls to pull off but should. Amnesty Kobe next year and sign D-12 as a FA.

Name me a free agent that posts this line nightly for 82 games:

33.2 ppg, 18.9 rpg, 6.3 apg (3.43 TOpg), 1.2 spg, and 2.33 bpg

That's what the Lakers gave up.

If you're going to play that game, then you have to add in the stats CP3 will be bringing in to the one or two FA PF they bring in.

If you're going to play that game, then you have to add in the stats CP3 will be bringing in to the one or two FA PF they bring in.

Do it and let me know what you come up with... Remember, you have to keep in mind cap-room and minutes distribution.

Dan Gilbert's email to Stern:

Commissioner,

It would be a travesty to allow the Lakers to acquire Chris Paul in the apparent trade being discussed.

This trade should go to a vote of the 29 owners of the Hornets.

Over the next three seasons this deal would save the Lakers approximately $20 million in salaries and approximately $21 million in luxury taxes. That $21 million goes to non-taxpaying teams and to fund revenue sharing.

I cannot remember ever seeing a trade where a team got by far the best player in the trade and saved over $40 million in the process. And it doesn’t appear that they would give up any draft picks, which might allow to later make a trade for Dwight Howard. (They would also get a large trade exception that would help them improve their team and/or eventually trade for Howard.) When the Lakers got Pau Gasol (at the time considered an extremely lopsided trade) they took on tens of millions in additional salary and luxury tax and they gave up a number of prospects (one in Marc Gasol who may become a max-salary player).

I just don’t see how we can allow this trade to happen.

I know the vast majority of owners feel the same way that I do.

When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.

Dan Gilbert's email to Stern:

Commissioner,

It would be a travesty to allow the Lakers to acquire Chris Paul in the apparent trade being discussed.

This trade should go to a vote of the 29 owners of the Hornets.

Over the next three seasons this deal would save the Lakers approximately $20 million in salaries and approximately $21 million in luxury taxes. That $21 million goes to non-taxpaying teams and to fund revenue sharing.

I cannot remember ever seeing a trade where a team got by far the best player in the trade and saved over $40 million in the process. And it doesn’t appear that they would give up any draft picks, which might allow to later make a trade for Dwight Howard. (They would also get a large trade exception that would help them improve their team and/or eventually trade for Howard.) When the Lakers got Pau Gasol (at the time considered an extremely lopsided trade) they took on tens of millions in additional salary and luxury tax and they gave up a number of prospects (one in Marc Gasol who may become a max-salary player).

I just don’t see how we can allow this trade to happen.

I know the vast majority of owners feel the same way that I do.

When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.

What a boob.

Do it and let me know what you come up with... Remember, you have to keep in mind cap-room and minutes distribution.

CP3 in
Tayshaun Prince in
Josh Howard/Kirilinko in

or

CP3 in
David West in

I have not kept in mind cap-room or minutes distribution......just rambled off shit.

I have not kept in mind cap-room or minutes distribution......just rambled off shit.

It matters, though. First, the Lakers couldn't afford those combinations at market price (with the exception of J-Ho, G-d bless his soul).

On the other hand, unless a post-injury David West, post-prime Tayshaun Prince, or a post-injury and post-prime Josh Howard (who isn't a PF) with CP3 give you those numbers, the Lakers's frontcourt takes a serious hit.

I mean Gasol and Odom (with Bynum) were probably the most versatile two-way frontcourt in the league...

The Lakers received the 2nd best stat getting guy (pre injury) in the league. Paul and Lebron had PER's near the 30's. 5th place was somewhere around 24-25. That's not the argument you want to make. And to quote Gilbert they saved $20 million in doing so. And to quote Mark Cuban saving cap room is the most important thing going forward.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mave...88/what-are-mavs-thinking-mark-cuban-explains

Last edited:
The Lakers received the 2nd best stat getting guy (pre injury) in the league. Paul and Lebron had PER's near the 30's. 5th place was somewhere around 24-25. That's not the argument you want to make. And to quote Gilbert they saved $20 million in doing so. And to quote Mark Cuban saving cap room is the most important thing going forward.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mave...88/what-are-mavs-thinking-mark-cuban-explains

Sure, I agree with your/MC's point about cap room and Gilbert's insane rambling about savings, but it's also about winning basketball games, especially before Kobe loses a step.

Also, let's not forget that Paul is injury prone, as well. The crazy thing is that both Gasol and Odom made it through all 82 games last year.

Back