• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chris Paul

You people realize that a lot of facts that are seemingly at odds with one another can actually co-exist and both be true....?

For example,

- Chris Paul left at the right time for his career and his ability - a statement made obvious by his immediate success at the NBA level.

- Chris Paul leaving when he did totally screwed our program.

Both of these facts are true. The one and only problem with CP leaving when he did is that everything he said and did from his signing through about halfway through his second year indicated that he was here for 3 years. That probably made the coaches a little too comfortable from a recruiting standpoint and made it very difficult to recruit a top level replacement until too late.

None of this is debateable.

CP is a stud and a wonderful ambassador for our school and the community. That is also an undebateable fact...

I disagree that Chris Paul "screwed" our program by leaving. It's a coaching staff's job to prepare an adequate depth chart, and be prepared for roster turnover. Innumerable teams, every season, survive and thrive after key player defections and injuries (Purdue and Robbie Hummel). CP may have truly believed he was staying until he was told he would be drafted highly, nether the less, Skip should have had a better backup PG.

Last edited:
You are right, but still lead a decent team to an above average record and his numbers weren't terrible... meaning, I think coming off surgery, and people thinking he was going to be worse than he was, he kept himself in the upper echilon of PG's. If you pair him with greats like Howard and Bryant, then you really have something. I don't feel CP can go to any team and make them an instant contender, but if you put him with another great player, 2 even, and you are set.

This is kind of what turns me off about the NBA. No offense to you, wolf, you are not alone.

none taken, I say this because I really just follow all of my favorite college players' teams, which obviously are mostly Wake players. Were the Hornets still in Charlotte, I'd be a diehard fan. Unfortunately, while I do root for the Bobcats I can't bring myself to have the same level of fan-dom I did before. If our boy CP3 were to come back it'd probably be another story, but it is what it is. Therefore, go Hornets (for now), Spurs, Clippers, Hawks, and Wizards. And Sixers I guess too, woot Songaila haha.

I disagree that Chris Paul "screwed" our program by leaving. It's a coaching staff's job to prepare an adequate depth chart, and be prepared for roster turnover. Innumerable teams, every season, survive and thrive after key player defections and injuries (Purdue and Robbie Hummel). CP may have truly believed he was staying until he was told he would be drafted highly, nether the less, Skip should have had a better backup PG.

It sure as hell didn't help that he insisted he was staying another year while we were trying to recruit other PGs who didn't want to come sit on the bench behind him for a year. Mario Chalmers comes to mind.

It sure as hell didn't help that he insisted he was staying another year while we were trying to recruit other PGs who didn't want to come sit on the bench behind him for a year. Mario Chalmers comes to mind.

You're wrong. Chalmers was luke warm on Wake. Kansas hired his Dad to be an assistant.

He even scared off freaking Wes Miller who, perhaps sadly, would have been a two-year starter for us. Not that I blame him at at all.

He even scared off freaking Wes Miller who, perhaps sadly, would have been a two-year starter for us. Not that I blame him at at all.

Scared Wes Miller? All Skip had to do was guarantee Wes a walk-on spot and he would have been a Deac.

I will never understand why these boards love to re-write history against our own players.

Scared Wes Miller? All Skip had to do was guarantee Wes a walk-on spot and he would have been a Deac.

I will never understand why these boards love to re-write history against our own players.

Straight out of Miller's mouth, he said that he went to UNC because he thought he'd have a better chance at PT because "[CP] was supposed to be there forever" (I think that's the exact quote). There was an article about it.

I don't think Wes Miller even started at JMU his freshman year. I know he didn't start his 2nd year, because he transferred to UNC and had to sit out. He also hardly ever played in 05 because he was behind Raymond Felton. Miller didn't get significant minutes until his Senior year in 06, when CP would have already graduated. Whatever he said about never getting pt was bullshit.

Last edited:
I don't think Wes Miller even started at JMU his freshman year. I know he didn't start his 2nd year, because he transferred to UNC and had to sit out. He also hardly ever played in 05 because he was behind Raymond Felton.

Yeah, but he started his junior year for UNC and was in the rotation his senior year. He wouldn't have seen the floor his soph year for us, but would have started over Harvey HAle the next two years for sure, I think.

Wes Miller was a two-star with offers from Dartmouth, JMU, and UNC-G. He walked on at UNC and would have done the same if Skip wasn't so stubborn about it.

Wes Miller was a two-star with offers from Dartmouth, JMU, and UNC-G. He walked on at UNC and would have done the same if Skip wasn't so stubborn about it.

What was Skip stubborn about?

Giving Wes a walk-on spot. I heard from guys on the team that Skip told Wes he had to tryout like everyone else for a walk-on spot. Its not too ridiculous given the fact the Millers are such big Wake supporters and I'm guessing Skip wanted to remain impartial.

Giving Wes a walk-on spot. I heard from guys on the team that Skip told Wes he had to tryout like everyone else for a walk-on spot. Its not too ridiculous given the fact the Millers are such big Wake supporters and I'm guessing Skip wanted to remain impartial.

That's crazy. Don't most D1 schools take "preferred" walk-ons, and offer the roster spot like a scholarship, except without the scholarship?

Yeah I imagine it like VaTech not giving Steph Curry a shot.

The crazy thing is people making it sound like Chris Paul kept Wes Miller from coming to Wake....

I am sure of two things; First I would love to see Chris go to the Knicks where I would have the chance to see him on a regular basis and second (and this really annoys the shit out of me). We need to put his jersey up in the rafters at the Joel.

I am sure of two things; First I would love to see Chris go to the Knicks where I would have the chance to see him on a regular basis and second (and this really annoys the shit out of me). We need to put his jersey up in the rafters at the Joel.

For what?

Back